Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will i burn in lapband hell?

So, I'm on day 10 of my pre-op liquid diet. My surgery is on July 19th. Well, today I had a weak moment and I cheated and I feel so horrible. I've been immaculately good to this point and here's what happened..... I had part of a Protein Shake this morning (I get two Protein Shakes per day plus some applesauce and some pudding in between). Then I had to take my son to the doctor and then we came back to our house for about 20 minutes and I had a pudding. We then went to another appointment and from there we went to a movie. During the movie I started getting a "hunger headache". I'm sure most everybody has had one. Most of the time on the pre-op diet I can just ignore plain hunger but when I start getting a headache, that really messes with me. Then I started feeling nauseated on top of that. So, here I was sitting in the movie with a headache and feeling nauseated. The least offensive thing I could think of was popcorn so I had my son go get me a small popcorn. I would have tried to hold out but I knew that after the movie I was going to have to drive thirty minutes to pick up my other son from where he was and then it was going to be 45 minutes back home before I could get a shake or a pudding AND I still had to wait for the movie to be over. I feel horrible about this, like I'm not deserving of the band if I can't even make it through the 14 day liquid pre op diet.

the good news is your surgery is still far enough away that you can undo any "damage" (real or imagined). I was banded 7/5 - i have avoided movies since starting the pre-op diet specifically because i know that i would not enjoy the experience without my popcorn (layered butter, of course) and would be tempted by the smell of popcorn. Lesson learned for you - either don't go to the movies or don't go anywhere where you may have to go that long before the next snack/shake/meal - one thing i've been learning is that PLANNING AHEAD is a huge part of this whole thing - no more eating "whatever i can grab" on the fly - and no more being stuck with no food options so that i binge like crazy when i finally do get ahold of food. Buck up - you will be fine - this too shall pass.

Allison0927 is right... I have not been banded, but from what I've read from many people on this site, is the liquid diet is to shrink your liver. And I don't think one weak moment (esp. popcorn) is going to void the entire diet. Just a word of advice: if you're anything like me..I've tried just about EVERY fad and serious diet before making the decision to get banded.. but it wasn't all a waste. I've learned a lot..one of the most important things I've learned is HOW to eat. Not just physically, but psychologically and chronologically. Allison is right.. planning is EVERYTHING. I'm not sure what kind of Protein shakes you have (or are allowed to have), but if you can transport them, do so. Get a little cooler or a cup that you can store the powder in and just throw a bottle of Water w/it for later. Get the magic bullet to go..LoL! It seems silly, but it's convenient if you don't wanna do just powder and Water and you wanna throw some ice in with it. Grab some pudding and applesauce..throw them in your cooler too! You sound like you have a very hectic schedule (or it could have been a one-off situation)..but either way, planning ahead keeps you from being in a position where have to decide between a starving headache or counter-productive junk food.

One of my mantra's is "No excuses for food abuses!" ..LoL! :lol: It's lame..but it keeps me accountable and forces me to make previsions for the future (near or distant).

I think you'll be just fine! Just remember to plan, plan, plan and stay the course!!

Best wishes doll!! :rolleyes:

dont beat yourself up. i used the 2 week liquid diet as a guage for myself and i did get...but have i been 100% great since i've been banded! hayle naw!!!!lol! i'm not saying i'm just eating any and everything, but if i do desire something i make myself drink a bottle of Water first and if i still want it then there you go.we have learned bad eating habits since childhood probably so dont feel like that issue is gonna go away in 14 days. relax girl. it's cool. just get back on track and keep moving. i dare to say there is ANYONE with a band that hasnt eaten something "not so good" and if they say they havent their lieing!!!! LOL best wishes to you!:lol:

Don't worry, you'll be just fine. My surgeon didn't even have me on a pre op diet. He said of all the thousands of people he's ever banded only one had a liver that was too big.

So, I'm on day 10 of my pre-op liquid diet. My surgery is on July 19th. Well, today I had a weak moment and I cheated and I feel so horrible. I've been immaculately good to this point and here's what happened..... I had part of a Protein shake this morning (I get two Protein shakes per day plus some applesauce and some pudding in between). Then I had to take my son to the doctor and then we came back to our house for about 20 minutes and I had a pudding. We then went to another appointment and from there we went to a movie. During the movie I started getting a "hunger headache". I'm sure most everybody has had one. Most of the time on the pre-op diet I can just ignore plain hunger but when I start getting a headache, that really messes with me. Then I started feeling nauseated on top of that. So, here I was sitting in the movie with a headache and feeling nauseated. The least offensive thing I could think of was popcorn so I had my son go get me a small popcorn. I would have tried to hold out but I knew that after the movie I was going to have to drive thirty minutes to pick up my other son from where he was and then it was going to be 45 minutes back home before I could get a shake or a pudding AND I still had to wait for the movie to be over. I feel horrible about this, like I'm not deserving of the band if I can't even make it through the 14 day liquid pre op diet.

I feel like I just read a post I made July 4th weekend!!! I was banded on July 6th. I was required to do a 2 week Liquid Protein shakes ONLY diet. I did realy great for the first 12 days. On two occasions I had a salad with a tablespoon of oil and vinegar... just to chew. But on 4th of July weekend, 3 days before my surgery. I had BBQs. I had a weak moment and had a little baked Beans and a little potato salad. I came on here and vented saying how terrible I felt, was I going to fail with the band because I couldn't even stick to the preop diet, and so on. I am here to say DON'T WORRY! I beat myself up about it to the point that I could've cried. I was also dealing with a family member having a bad reaction to me telling her about the surgery, being nervous, etc. The next day I took a deep breath and just started over. Now being 8 days out of surgery, I really do feel great. My slip up didn't effect me in the slightest... I think my slip up is what's keeping me i check because I know how hard I can be on myself. Slipping up every now and again will not determine your lap band future, just don't make it a habit. I'm sure you'll do great! Just get back on track and keep your head in a good place :) good luck!

This is not about perfection -it's a learning process.

You have to get out of the mentality that if you aren't perfect then you are a failure.

When you eat something that wasn't good or really allowed simply say to yourself "How could I have handled that differently?" Then move on. When you go to events the key is to plan, plan, plan.

The liquid stage sucks. When I was on it someone posted a great strategy for handling it.

They wrote a note on their refridgerator that said " I CAN DO ANYTHING FOR___DAYS" So your first note would read "I can do anything for 14 days!"

Each day you insert another number. That really helped me get through the liquid stage. When I felt weak I said "I can do anything for 7 days." It really helped.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for everybody's encouragement! I guess I need to plan more and prepare for "what ifs". I have a hectic schedule and have gone long periods before without having puddings or shakes on hand, but for some reason it really hit me yesterday and I just never considered "what if I get nauseated or get a hunger headache?". I'm going to have to carry a shake with me or carry a little backup cooler perhaps like moms put baby bottles in. Tomorrow I face another challenge when we take my husband out for his birthday dinner. I think I'll be fine on the temptation scale (although my husband IS an enabler and he's not been the most supportive about me having this done). I'll just have to get over sitting in the restaurant and looking stupid having a shake while everybody has food.< /p>

I, too, am getting banded on the 19th! Yay for us! :) Anyway, I've been on an "Optifast" diet since the 6th = Protein shake, Protein Bar, broth, and/or sugar-free Jello. I've "cheated" twice - both times by having some lettuce w/ a couple slices of turkey and fat-free dressing. I just felt like I was absolutely going to LOSE IT if I didn't have some "real food." But I refuse to feel guilty. The main purpose of the diet is to shrik the liver. I was still consuming less than 800 calories (and about 10 grams of fat) for the day. Plus, I've seen so many people on this site who were put on a diet only 2 days pre-op or not at all, and they are fine! So don't beat yourself up - I'm sure everything will work out beautifully...

Also, I, too, have done every diet from Jenny Craig to Atkins to Weight Watchers... and if I've learned anything, it's that we have to allow ourselves a "cheat" or we are doomed to fail. Now, I absolutely don't condone going against a doctor's instructions - especially right after the surgery when our bodies won't be able to handle anything but liquid. But in the long haul, if you're too rigid it will only make it that much easier to sabotage yourself... IMO...

Good luck in the next few days... I'm right there with you = just counting down until Tuesday!

Give yourself a break will you? Slips happen and you just get right back up on that horse and continue. Your mind plays tricks on you when you go on those liquid diets. Seriously you are going through a detox of sorts and it messes with your mind. You do deserve this so be gentle with yourself

My surgeon put me on a week of opti-fast. The first day, which was this past monday (11th) I was invited to a MLB Gala...I walk in and i'm immediately surrounded by margaritas, steak, chicken, shrimp, Desserts, I could go on and on. Needless to say....I REALLY started the diet the next day. So I understand your frustrations. The cheating part is good! It helps you recognize your relationship with food and to curve those cravings when you are on a mission!

Best of luck to you my surgery is on Monday...I'll keep you in prayers!