Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded Wednesday July 6th and today I am 4 days post op. I spent 2 nights in the hospital due to elevated white blood cells which went back to normal a little slow. I did also have a hernia repair. I feel like my recovery is a bit slower from everyone else's I've read about. I am exhausted and very weak. I feel like I should be moving more which would help with the lingering gas pain but the little bit I move around wears me out. Yesterday I wanted out of the house and rode out to the lake and sat in a chair for about 2 hours while my son played in the Water, and I couldn't get home fast enough on the way home. I was in crazy pain and felt like I could barely move! I came home and slept the rest of the day and night.

Today I woke up feeling a lot better and decided to take my dad to Walmart (only walked to toy section to get a gift then to register) then took and my son to a birthday party where I walked in and sat for nearly 2 hours. By the time this was over I came home and slept nearly 5 hours. I probably didn't walk even 30 minutes total for the day and felt completely worn out.

On top of being so tired, I am having the weirdest dreams ever! I keep dreaming of sneaking food, being mad at my husband for not letting me eat, and dreams of being in biggest looser temptation rooms and binging. I'm not even hungry at all! I'm doing everything I can to drink all my Water and feel water logged. (only got in 40 oz today which is my best yet since surgery)

I'm suppose to go back to work Wednesday but can't imagine having enough energy to get through a day at work.

I keep reading people who are cleaning house, going walking, and feeling great their first week out. Should I be worried something is wrong??...

Kimiky: I was banded on the 6th, too, and I think you're doing great. I left my house for the first time today. I went out to dinner with family (I sipped Soup broth) and it wiped me out.

It's important to remember that everyone heals differently. My husband, for example, thinks I'm bouncing back quickly, since when he has even minor surgery, he is out of commission for weeks. On the other hand, if we both get a cold, he's up and running the next day and I'm in bed whimpering for days.

Cut yourself some slack--this is a major trauma to your body. Let it heal. You're up and moving around some, walking some, and sleeping a lot. That's exactly right for healing.

If you're still worried in a few days, give your surgeon a call.

That's my $.02, anyway. :)

I'm with Lizzy. Everyone heals differently. Don't push yourself or feel like you are going too slowly. Each day since I was banded has been mixed with small victories and challenges. I'm in less pain and walked a mile yesterday but still not able to drink enough Water. I know I'm not ready for work so I took off two more days for good measure. Maybe another 3 days off would do you some good and give you time you need to take care of yourself.

And by comparison to wannabe, I barely made it walking about 1/4 of a mile tonight but have no problem at all drinking enough Water and then some. See? All different. :D

I'm with Lizzy. Everyone heals differently. Don't push yourself or feel like you are going too slowly. Each day since I was banded has been mixed with small victories and challenges. I'm in less pain and walked a mile yesterday but still not able to drink enough Water. I know I'm not ready for work so I took off two more days for good measure. Maybe another 3 days off would do you some good and give you time you need to take care of yourself.

I got very sick after my surgery and threw up for 24 hours. When I went back for my post-op check up I asked if that was normal. Their answer was define normal. Everyone is different and everyone's experience is different. You are doing great.

I'm with you! I thought for SURE I was healing way more slowly than anyone else ever in the history of being banded! :) But I really turned a corner around 6 days post-op, and have felt a small percentage better everyday since! I looked on here, surprised I didn't read about more people being in tons of pain and really uncomfortable like I was (port pain for me, minimal gas pain), and really was bummed with myself for not progressing faster.

Stick with the small activity, keep in mind you're barely eating any calories! Of course you have no energy. Once you're able to get in more full liquids (I highly recommend focusing on Protein shakes/carnation instant breakfast/greek yogurt to get your Protein up), you'll start to feel better. Promise!

I was banded on the 30th and still feel like I was punched in the port area.... It is still pretty uncomfortable.... Anyone else have lingering port area pain? Also feel like I have a cramp in my side. Have a follow-up tomorrow - hopefully that is "normal"??

I was banded on the 29th, and I completely identify with how you're feeling - I too get that cramp in my side, and it doesn't seem to be related to eating/drinking too much. I also have a pretty sensitive port site still. I'm glad you said something - makes ME feel a little more normal. laugh.gif

Yes! Focus on your own healing, don't compare yourself to others; we are all different, and that's okay. Listen to your body and what it needs. If you're feeling low energy are you getting enough Protein (which I know is hard right after surgery)? What feels best to you throughout the day? When do you feel at your best, when do you feel at your worst? Make a note of that. Just remember, every step that you take toward getting healthier is a GOOD thing, even if someone else might be doing it 'faster.' Faster isn't always better for some people. The beautiful thing about us is that we are all different from each other, and we all have our own special journey to take. Good luck!