Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question......I had surgery June 28....just moved to pureed foods..how many carbs and fat grams should you eat a day....example I ate some refried Beans with 2 grams of fat and 19fat carbs per half a cup..seemed like alot to me...I only ate about 3/4 of a cup but...is that too much ...does everyone count fat grams carbs and calories or just calories?

Just confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use myfitnesspal.com to record what I eat. I'm on my second day of mushies, and honestly, I'm not worried about anything but Protein because I had very little in the post op week (couldn't stomach the shakes). I'm just trying to get food in my tummy, period. Today was really the first day that things have gone well and I'm not feeling faint. woohoo!!

When you use a program like myfitnessspal, it allows you to see your daily totals in the main areas of nutrition. I can already tell that my choices are high salt and fat, but I'm doing the best I can. My personal goal is 60g of protein for right now, but I'm nowhere near that. As you progress, your needs will change quite a bit, I imagine. I would just try your best to maintain a good balance between everything. The most I've been able to eat (and I was pushing myself) was 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.

Good luck & I'm sure more will respond with their thoughts, too. :)

Question......I had surgery June 28....just moved to pureed foods..how many carbs and fat grams should you eat a day....example I ate some refried Beans with 2 grams of fat and 19fat carbs per half a cup..seemed like alot to me...I only ate about 3/4 of a cup but...is that too much ...does everyone count fat grams carbs and calories or just calories?

I've never counted carbs, but I don't eat white carbs (bread, rice, Pasta, potatoes) and keep whole grains to minimum. I do not worry about veggie carbs at all.

I do eat reduced fat, but I don't count fat grams either. Some will disagree with this saying that fat makes you satisfied sooner. Maybe so.. but I can still eat fairly large amounts and want to do lower fat (not NO fat).

At first, I only worried about eating 3oz of Protein and 1/2 cup veggies per meal. As time went on, I began to count calories.. I was pretty large, so I just used an online calculator to figure out how much I could eat to lose a certain amt a week.. and used that. I'm now at about 1200/day, but I know I had a bigger allotment before I got to where I am now.

You might be less confused by talking to the dietician or nutritionist that works with your doctor (they should have one on staff or available).

I think you're okay.

I am more concerned with how much Protein I'm getting and with trying not to take in too much sodium.

I use my best judgement on things sometimes. ...and my food scale.< /p>

I love MyFitnessPal too. It helps me to look at all aspects of what I'm eating, but right now I only focus on my Protein and calories. I love the site though. It's easy to use and can even be put on your phone when you're out and about.

I do count Protein grams, that's the most important thing to me. As for carbs, I don't eat bread at all anymore; nor Pasta, nor any non-whole grain processed anything; so I don't feel the need to count them. I do eat fruit and veggies though; since I don't have a problem with them. I do count calories though; religiously. I keep a record of what I eat each day magnetized to my fridge, and before I even open it, I take down the record and get a pen out.

I was also banded on June 28th and am having problems getting food in. I feel great and am ready to exercise but I do know that I am not eating enough or drinking enough. I FINALLY found a Protein Shake that I can tolerate so that helps but I am just as confused as you are.

Good Luck and stay in touch!

I was banded June 28 th too! yay us! I don't count fat, carbs, ect..

My dietician has me counting only 2 things:

Protein (at least 60 g a day)

fluids (at least 64 oz a day)

I am allowed 1/2 cup of food at each meal (3 x a day)

Example:

6 am = Protein Shake (20 g protein) (I don't have time for BF)

11 am= 1/2 cup mashed tuna with 1 tbs light mayo (16g protein)

3 pm = protein shake (15 g protein)

6 pm = 1/4 c meatloaf (food processor) (10 g protein)+ 1/4 c mash pot. (2 g protein)

total = 63 G protein

approx 700 calories..

(64 oz diet tea or Water through out day)

hope this helps..

I agree mushy stage comes along and I am lost. I am getting down about 500-700 calories a day with a struggle. I got on this website which has really helped me a lot. http://www.lap-band-surgery-site.com/lapband-diet-first-mushy-foods.html This website helped me with my mushy grocery list and also has a lapband food pyramid. Plus I also use myfitnesspal.com.