Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal question!

Did anyone experience Constipation once they cut out the carbs? I've been doing high protein/low carb for 1 week now.... I'm in my pre-op stage.... And I only go numero dos after some assistance from milk of magnesia. It's pretty annoying too because that stuff is disgusting. Anyway... Was this normal for anyone else?

I think that's normal. I experienced the same thing. I now use Benefiber. 2 teaspoons in diet cranberry juice every morning. It dissolves so you don't even know it there. It really helps!

Did anyone experience Constipation once they cut out the carbs? I've been doing high protein/low carb for 1 week now.... I'm in my pre-op stage.... And I only go numero dos after some assistance from milk of magnesia. It's pretty annoying too because that stuff is disgusting. Anyway... Was this normal for anyone else?

for about a month after surgery I used Benefiber.... but as I reintroduced solid foods I didnt have the need. If anything.... things look pretty reqular down there... compared to pre band when my diet was high in fat.

Yes, I take Fiber daily since I'm no longer getting the fiber from all the grains I used to eat (95% of my diet pre-band was carbs). I do two chewable Fiber Choice wafers twice a day... they're sugar free but still sweet so they almost feel like a treat ;) Funny how that works! I also use Splenda with added fiber in my tea.

I think it gets worse after surgery. Try Miralax.< /p>

No problems at all. In fact, the reverse. Pre-low carb, I often had problems with Constipation. No more. My diet isn't just low carb (30-40gm) though, it's also considered high fat (50-60%) so perhaps the fat is helping.

I have no problem! I eat a lot of cooked spinach. Every blue moon I take a natural fibre to help me.

I eat a lot less food so I do poop less often. Generally thats ok and i wouldnt call it being constipated. I do eat a lot of Beans which I guess are very high fiber since I dont eat meat. On the advice of a fellow very successful bandster i eat a couple of those Russell Stover fake sugar chocolates every day and that keeps things moving. Those fake sugars pull Water into the colon and that keeps things moving.

i never have....you probably need to up your fiber intake.

when im not low carbing, i barely ever eat my veggies....but when i cut out the starches, the veggies increase and that keeps things regular. maybe you can add a fiber supplement, or just get more greens?

Its an issue for me, but trying to drink the Water and maybe do a softner, or just a little milk of magnesia,,, so much Protein , no fat and limited veggies, and fruit. it can be a game to figure out what best works for ya.

the proetin drinks help keep me regular, otherwise everything "Just ends up backing up" and I can feel it.. experiment till you find whats right for you

i had the same problem so i gave up the powdered Protein Drinks and instead have a "Boost" drink in the am and then make sure i eat plenty of Protein during the day. boost drinks are at Walmart target and grocery stores near the instant Breakfast. also somebody just mentioned that 1-2 sugar free candies will loosen you up. oh, how true ! any brand of sf candy wiil do, they have a fake sugar in them that taste really good but works like x-lax fairly quickly- ( about an hour or less ) be aware and be near a restroom ! good luck !