Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PostOP Pain/management/medication

Hi everyone, I am having my surgery on July 6th. I have been reading through the site and haven't seen too much on how the pain is after surgery. I'm sorry to say that I am a bit of a baby when it comes to pain. I am aware that this is surgery and it certainly isn't going to feel nice, but it's a necessary step to get me where I want to be.

What are your experiences? Much worse than you expected? Much less than you expected?

Which pain medications (if any) did you take?

Did you take Gas-X or any other medication to help with gas?

Any non medicinal remedies that helped?

Thanks guys :)

3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way leas than I expected. I used liquid Lortab (prescribed) for the day after surgery. I took liquid Tylenol on day two and didn't need anything after that.

I didn't need Gas X. I walked a lot and was up and down out of bed and off the sofa frequently. I didn't let anyone wait on me.

I think what helped me the most was staying positive and knowing what to expect.

I'm a baby about pain too - I put bandaids on papercuts!

I knew it was surgery and knew it was going to hurt. I have a decent tolerance for pain. The first day I was like omg what did I do, took pain meds. The second day was soo much better and I took the pain meds a few times. The third day was pretty good. The only reason I took the pain mess was because I started my period and I get bad cramps. Luckily I took it once and kicked all the pain for the rest of the day. I may have taken liquid tylenok once or twice after that, can't remember. But I was a bit surprised

how quickly the pain subsided. I was still sore getting out of bed and such, but nothing nearly painful that I needed pain meds for it. I did take the gas x strips. I did not have a lot of gas pain, a little in my arm when I was sitting.

Hi - I was banded on 6/29 and had a hiatal hernai repair done also. The pain was more than I thought but mostly from the additional surgery not the banding. It is tolerable and just have to work through it knowing you'll be better soon. Good luck. Be positive. Listen to your body.

Pain was much less than I expected. I was lucky not to have gas pains. I am allergic to Narcotics so I just took liquid tylenol.

Hey crash, I'm getting banded the same day as you! Man, it's coming up quick! I'm getting super nervous lol.. we should keep in touch, be band-buddies :) Haha.

I'm 4 days into my new lap banned life and pain isn't bad at all I haven't taken any pain meds today and it's totally tolerable. I'm still sore and getting up from sitting back still takes some time but other than that it's alright. Haven't taken gas x today either but it's still early here in Cali so we will see but I got the chewable pills and they have really been helping. Hope you feel a lil more at ease,if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer em for you! Good luck n congrats!

Hey Crash - I'm getting banded on the 6th also! My surgeon will be doing the single-incision approach, so I'm hoping to have less pain, but we'll see, I guess. Thanks for posting this question - It was one of mine that I've been having difficulty getting answers for, as most of my friends and co-workers that are (were) obese got By-pass. The thought of all the re-routing just kinda creeps me out.

Good luck! I hope everything goes well!

Lance

I was on vicodin and it worked well. I also ended up with a hernia repair that I feel added to the pain (When I showed the nurse where the pain was, she said that's where the hernia was). It depends on how you personally handle it. I'm 6 weeks post op and feeling great, but the first 3 weeks weren't too good for me. The pain was worse than I expected (but I also didn't expect a hernia repair) If you have excessive pain, talk to your dr about pain med options

Gas-x will help if you're having gas pains in your stomach....but not the actual surgery gas pains. Those are relieved by walking and for me a back and shoulder massage helped a lot! Then I'd lay on heat for a little bit.

Hi everyone, I am having my surgery on July 6th. I have been reading through the site and haven't seen too much on how the pain is after surgery. I'm sorry to say that I am a bit of a baby when it comes to pain. I am aware that this is surgery and it certainly isn't going to feel nice, but it's a necessary step to get me where I want to be.

What are your experiences? Much worse than you expected? Much less than you expected?

It hurt about as much as I expected, but I was really not back to a good place until 2 weeks past surgery. I enjoyed every drop of my pain meds!

Congrats and good luck! I had a hernia repaired and I had 3 incisions. Doc put in a pain med devilry system, a little bulb thing. The meds ran out on Wed. morning. Didn't take anything else, I went out the day I was discharged and the next 2 nights. My gas was really bad so the Gas X was a big help. Got real tired in week 2 though. :mellow:

Hey crash, I'm getting banded the same day as you! Man, it's coming up quick! I'm getting super nervous lol.. we should keep in touch, be band-buddies :) Haha.

Lol band buddies! Can you believe in less than 48 hours we will be banded? Crazy!! Did you have a preop diet? I messed up on mine today, I was ok for the first 2 BBQs I went to, and today was the 3rd, but I slipped and had a little potato salad, Beans, and dessert. :unsure: I feel so guilty.... but, back on track for tomorrow! Please keep me posted on your progress!

Hey Crash - I'm getting banded on the 6th also! My surgeon will be doing the single-incision approach, so I'm hoping to have less pain, but we'll see, I guess. Thanks for posting this question - It was one of mine that I've been having difficulty getting answers for, as most of my friends and co-workers that are (were) obese got By-pass. The thought of all the re-routing just kinda creeps me out.

Good luck! I hope everything goes well!

Lance

I'm glad to see another July 6th person! I was (and still am) nervous about the pain over anything, but I guess no matter how bad it is, it won't last. That's something to look forward to! Did you have a preop diet? As I posted earlier, I slipped up today :/ how have you been doing during the preop phase? Keep me updated on your journey!

Thank you everyone for the "good lucks"! Keep me (and my new July 6th bandee buddies) in your prayers for Wednesday :)