Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where to start?

I had my surgery a couple of weeks ago and have been starting into soft foods. I've gained a couple of pounds back from that and so I joined a gym so that I can start exercising because I really want this to work out for me and I'm terrified that it's not going to despite my husband's encouragement.

Now my problem is that I went to the gym today and was completely overwhelmed... There were two really thin women and a bunch of fit guys which just made me feel more awkward. But that's something I have to learn to ignore because everyone has to start somewhere right?

I specifically joined this gym because they offer classes so I plan to do yoga and Zumba but I also need to get in strength training and cardio. What do y'all do? It would be so easy to just jump on the elliptical for 45 minutes or whatever but everything I read talks about how important strength training is... Any suggestions from people who have been where I am now or are currently here with me?

See if the GYM has a trainer you can work with and remember you feel good but are still healing so do not over do it - 30 minutes of cardio at an even pace is good to start

I had my surgery a couple of weeks ago and have been starting into soft foods. I've gained a couple of pounds back from that and so I joined a gym so that I can start exercising because I really want this to work out for me and I'm terrified that it's not going to despite my husband's encouragement.

Now my problem is that I went to the gym today and was completely overwhelmed... There were two really thin women and a bunch of fit guys which just made me feel more awkward. But that's something I have to learn to ignore because everyone has to start somewhere right?

I specifically joined this gym because they offer classes so I plan to do yoga and Zumba but I also need to get in strength training and cardio. What do y'all do? It would be so easy to just jump on the elliptical for 45 minutes or whatever but everything I read talks about how important strength training is... Any suggestions from people who have been where I am now or are currently here with me?

Take a deep breath MLR. Newbies frequently feel overwhelmed and a little scared.

When you say "I really want this to work out for me and I'm terrified that it's not going to despite my husband's encouragement. " You need to next ask yourself "how does it serve me to be "terrified" BEFORE I have even begun?"

Start by turning your thinking around. You have the encouragement of your wonderful husband. :D Why be terrified? Take it one step at a time and, just as Debora says don't over do it, you are still healing. Don't set yourself up for failure by expecting too much too soon. While you're at it you should be reading about how this band really works right here on this forum. Learn about the dreaded "bandster hell" BEFORE it happens so you won't be "terrified". Learn everything you can so you can pace yourself and develop patience.

Stop looking at the other people at the gym and envision "the new you". :lol: You are going to do GREAT! Don't let FEAR take away your success. Keep a positive thought. You can do this and we are all here to help you!

Be proud of yourself for taking this monumental step while you are young. You have a fantastic future ahead of you ... don't let your "head" talk you out of it. Geeezzz, way too many puns ... and bad ones at that. :lol:

Remember, educate yourself, pace yourself and stay positive!

All the best to you on your journey!

~Fran

When you and anyone else is at the gym all they're thinking about is themselves and what they're there for. Don't worry about them. If anything, they're glad you're there taking steps most people don't.

Now, use all of those people to your advantage. Find a few that you like how they look, when they finish a workout (never while they are working out) go up to them and introduce yourself and tell them what you're doing and that you have been watching them and would like to talk with them one day about some pointers because you want to do things right. They will not turn you down. They may not be able to do it that day but they won't turn you down.

If the gym has a trainer (or trainers) don't automatically go with them - find out about them first, their history, their workout style, their goal for their clients, their motivation, etc.

Once you find one you enjoy, then buy 3-12 sessions with them (usually done Monday, Wednesday, Friday - and you'll get a better deal the more you buy, it's usually around $55-85/session) and get all the foundation work of how to do your weight workouts. Ask if they gym offers 1-2 free sessions first.

When you do your workouts do weights first - then cardio. And eat Protein 30-60 minutes BEFORE working out to give your body something to eat during the workout so it can get its quick dose of Protein then burn fat.

Now - all that considered, if they have any boxing classes, take those. They will give you the benefit of a weighted workout (your body weight) and cardio all at once - and they are addictive. Yoga is very good for keeping your flexibility up, do it when you get up and before you go to bed.

You'll do great.

Thanks for all the advice! I've been making myself go to the gym everyday after work this week even if just for 30 minutes. I'm trying to make it a habit. It really helps having a place like this to come to to talk to people and get advice. I think it's going to make this journey so much better :)

For the first 2 months post op all I did was the elliptical for 30-40 min and then stregth training for 40 min or so. I was doing elliptical for years prior to my surgery and started strength a couple months prior. Now I do kickboxing 6 days a week.

I switch my exercise up a bit. I do the bike for 60 minutes everyday. I then do the elliptical or treadmill for 30 minutes. I don't do a lot of strength training, but I did buy a kettle

bell and a dvd, and I do that twice a week for 30 minutes. I haven't lost weight fast but I am losing. I have lost 70 pounds since my surgery in January of 2011.

70 pounds in 6 months is amazing!! Good for you!!

Do they have a pool? I highly recommend swimming. Started out at 364 pounds in my fat lady swim suit. Afterall once you're in the pool no one can see you. Moving to a suit that did not have a skirt was a major NSV.

I love swimming! But they said I have to wait until I'm four weeks post op :( But I have a pool in my neighborhood that I will definitely be going to once I can :)

Check out Water proof mp3 players on Amazon. I find having music to be a must. I do an hour of lap swimming daily and it makes time go by so much faster.