Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days Postop and STARVING

I was banded Wednesday and starting Saturday and getting stronger though today I have had hunger pains. Ongoing! My liquids was not handling it! I sucked it up those days, kept doing things right or sleeping it off. Well tonight, day 5 I gave in and had some bites of mashed potatoes and the hunger pains went away. 2 hours later they are starting up again faintly. Am I supposed to be this hungry during the liquid phase? :(

I was banded Wednesday and starting Saturday and getting stronger though today I have had hunger pains. Ongoing! My liquids was not handling it! I sucked it up those days, kept doing things right or sleeping it off. Well tonight, day 5 I gave in and had some bites of mashed potatoes and the hunger pains went away. 2 hours later they are starting up again faintly. Am I supposed to be this hungry during the liquid phase? :(

I know exactly how you feel! I was banded last Wednesday 6/22 as well and I am very tired of the liquid diet. Yesterday I went to the store and purchased some Progresso vegtable Soup, I blended it and added some V8 juice. I then strained it through a strainer and drank the liquid only. It really hit the spot. I'm going to try it with chicken noodle soup as well. Much better than vanilla or chocolate! I also notice that everyone has different rules as to how long we have to be on the liquid diet. My doctor said 2 weeks, only 8 days to gosmile.gif

I am going back to work tomorrow, I never thought I'd feel good enough to go back to work this soon. I'm going to work 6 hours day this week and then back to full time next week.

Does anyone else have any "liquid" food ideas?

I only have to be on the liquid diet for one week. So I guess Wednesday is my day to move to mushies. That's great youre going back to work tomorrow! The first night I was in bad shape but each day has been better and better since.

Though overweight I have always been a picky eater. I have habit foods and only ate those paticular foods. It's been hard for me to venture out and try other things during this process, but so far I've been handling it very well. I just wish I didn't have such strong hunger pains right now. :(

****CORRECTION**** I do NOT move to the "mushie" phase Wednesday. That is week 3. I start week 2 Wednesday and will be on the liquid/pureed diet. My mind classified mashed potatoes in the "mushie" column automatically; however they are on my list for liquid/puree which caused my confusion. :)

Day 5 was my breakjng point to! I had to eat mashed potatoez or else I was going to lokse it! Nut my doc moves u to mushies day 7.

I have read that some people add Benefiber to their Soups, drinks, etc to feel full longer.

I was banded on June 10th (Friday) and by that Monday I was back to work and eating grits with added Protein Powder. I ordered little single serving packs of clear and flavorless Protein powder through Walmart. I mix these in almost all my foods now. I was given a food progression layout but told to progress as I felt I was able to. Everyone is different. You will know when something is too much for you. I have only been sick once so progressing quicker than the sheet told me too has not been an issue. I, like you, am pretty hungry. But I have yet to have a fill. My fill is on July 5th and the doctor told me that by then I would more than likely feel like I could eat the world. haha So I am looking forward to my first fill. I have gone from 251 to 235. I wish you luck and hope you aren't feeling guilty if you move on to more solid foods and you can handle it.

I am 7 days out now and had some Chobani Greek Yogurt for Breakfast. I can do the pineapple but not many other flavors yet as I am used to the super sweet regular yogurt. I have never liked the Carnation Instant breakfast but have been having 2 of them a day for a week with a scoop of Protein Powder. YUCK. The only way I can stomach it is to blend it with ice. I am going to start branching to Yogurt once a day. It has 13 grams of protein!!!! I am also going to start buying the milk with added Protein when I go shopping today.

I was Banded Friday the 24th, and I have not been hungry at all. I have been on the liquid diet and can barely drink enough to stay hydrated. I am still having a lot of pain from the surgical gas that they used. The pain from the gas makes me feel like I am full. I called the Surgeons office today, and they said that some people have a lot of problems with the gas, and some do not. I guess I do! I have been trying to walk a lot and get the gas moving out of there, but It wants to stick around and cause me pain. I am suppose to be able to switch to mushier foods Friday after my Post-Op appointment. Has anyone else felt this way after their surgery? What did you do to get in all the fluids you need? I mean I feel full, but i don't know if that feeling is gas pain or fullness.

Johnny Boy thank you for the tip!!!!

Mist, indeed it is on my official list from the nutrionist to eat mashed potatoes! :( Good point you made! I will take it easy on them for sure. I've been sticking to what the nutrionist gave me fairly religiously.

Today has been easier on the hunger pains, but I was just getting frustrated yesterday that most what I read is people don't even feel hunger the first week or 2 and here I am feeling like a starving pig wanting to cry because my liquids were not helping. I have done just liquids today and tomorrow I move to my liquid/pureed foods! Yippie!

I would like to share that I was 280 before I started the 2 week pre-op diet, 277 the day I started the pre-op diet, 266 when I checked into the hospital last Wednesday and today I am at 255!!! I can't wait until I am healed and can do some serious exercising! This is exciting.

@duster I also was banded on june 24th and still having a lot of pain as well as gas pains! Until today I barley wanted to drink I was in so much pain! Today I'm feeling more hungary! I hate sweet stuff so Jello is getting annoying! I have to be on liquids for 2 weeks post op and don't know how I'm going to do it! I drink my shakes and Water and had some broth today! And yet I'm still hungary today! My shakes are starting to taste to sweet to me! My next stage is pureed after 2wks of liquid and it says I can have mashed potatoes! And cream of wheat so well see! I go to the dr this thurs so well see what he says! A lot of people like the sweet taste I do not having hard time eating jello to sweet and its sugar free? ?? Weird I know! I'm going to try strained Soups instead of just broth!

I was also banded on the 24th. I have had alot of lower abdomenal pain. I feel almost lathargic. I am going to try to make it to my sons baseball game tonite just to get out of the house and move. The gas ppain has been severe but is getting better. I too am not big on constant sweets so this part is hard. Good luck to you. The one pain I have had that I am not seeing people post is almost like reflux. I gas bubble goes to my center of my chest and my throat and it hurts then it goes away and faster if I swallow. I hope this is normal and goes away soon.

@duster I also was banded on june 24th and still having a lot of pain as well as gas pains! Until today I barley wanted to drink I was in so much pain! Today I'm feeling more hungary! I hate sweet stuff so Jello is getting annoying! I have to be on liquids for 2 weeks post op and don't know how I'm going to do it! I drink my shakes and Water and had some broth today! And yet I'm still hungary today! My shakes are starting to taste to sweet to me! My next stage is pureed after 2wks of liquid and it says I can have mashed potatoes! And cream of wheat so well see! I go to the dr this thurs so well see what he says! A lot of people like the sweet taste I do not having hard time eating Jello to sweet and its sugar free??? Weird I know! I'm going to try strained Soups instead of just broth!

@shallene hi there I too have the same thing! I called my dr today and asked and he said its the inflammation and selling and the band that's pushing things back up and ties in with the gas as well! Sometimes I feel like if I could burp it would feel better and can't so I swollow and it goes away for awhile! I have the chewable gas x now the strips weren't heloing and chewables seem to be better! Dr also said if I still feel that way tom to crush a pepcid or prilosec and take it so I might try it as well! While talking to the dr and dietician today they said I could eat cambells cream on the go drinkable Soups just add some skim milk to them since the Jello and yougart are bothering me! So I'm happy about that!

I have read that some people add Benefiber to their Soups, drinks, etc to feel full longer.