Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tips on things we will need to have on hand

Just curious, if some of the bandsters can give us "looking into getting banded" some tips of things we may want to have at home, ready and waiting before the day arrives. I know that we will probably get some info at our pre op appts, but ....maybe there are other things we may not even be thinking of that you can help with, Such as.....changing our daily Vitamins over to chewable ones. (I never would have even thought of that---until after. :-) Thanks for any info you can give. :)

Just curious, if some of the bandsters can give us "looking into getting banded" some tips of things we may want to have at home, ready and waiting before the day arrives. I know that we will probably get some info at our pre op appts, but ....maybe there are other things we may not even be thinking of that you can help with, Such as.....changing our daily Vitamins over to chewable ones. (I never would have even thought of that---until after. :-) Thanks for any info you can give. :)

Hi,

Make sure you have people who can help take care of you at least the first entire week after surgery for sure! You will be much weaker then they tell you to expect. Although they say it is not a major surgery, any surgery has a heeling process afterwards. I had NO IDEA how helpless I would be afterwards! Thank goodness my mother and Fiance' were around, because I would not have made it on my own very well.

Make sure you are prepared at home with liquid or crush-able pain meds as well as LOTS of Gas-X strips and chewables. Gas is what causes the most pain, so if you can get that out of the way, you will feel way better.

Since you will be spending a lot of time in bed, make sure you have books and stuff to occupy you. Make sure you rest and walk, rest and walk, rest and walk.

Also, since you will be doing a LOT of Protein shakes the 6 weeks after, it is SO HELPFUL to own a magic bullet blender or somthing similar! I love using flavoring extracts like vanilla, Almond, strawberry, etc... to switch up the flavors of the shakes. I never got bored! In fact, I switched up the flavors so often, I soon went back to wanting just plain vanilla again. Vanilla whey Protein tastes the best in my opinion, as well as gives you the option to really experiment with flavoring.

Also, since you will only be sleeping on your back for a couple weeks after surgery, you might want to make sure you have good padding and pillows for your bed. If you share your bed with your spouse, make sure he or she understands that you will need to take up more room with pillows and do things slightly different in your nightly routine. Since sleep can also be hard to come by after due to being in one position all night, you may want a gentle sleep relaxer. Calms Forte from Whole Foods Market is a great one and all natural. It is very gentle and does not make you drowsy the next morning.

By the way... please talk to your doctor first before taking any of my own personal advice. Everyone is different and you may have a different experience or health than me. :)

1. Blender (Magic Bullet)
  2. Liquid and crush-able pain meds
  3. Gas X (LOTS)
  4. Pillows/cushioning
  5. Flavoring extracts for Protein Shakes
  6. Good reading material & stuff to occupy the time

HI thanks for the informations very helpful. I am invited to a wedding 3 days after my surgery date. Do you think I would be able to attend with very minimal activity. Thanks a lots :)

Hi,

Make sure you have people who can help take care of you at least the first entire week after surgery for sure! You will be much weaker then they tell you to expect. Although they say it is not a major surgery, any surgery has a heeling process afterwards. I had NO IDEA how helpless I would be afterwards! Thank goodness my mother and Fiance' were around, because I would not have made it on my own very well.

Make sure you are prepared at home with liquid or crush-able pain meds as well as LOTS of Gas-X strips and chewables. Gas is what causes the most pain, so if you can get that out of the way, you will feel way better.

Since you will be spending a lot of time in bed, make sure you have books and stuff to occupy you. Make sure you rest and walk, rest and walk, rest and walk.

Also, since you will be doing a LOT of Protein shakes the 6 weeks after, it is SO HELPFUL to own a magic bullet blender or somthing similar! I love using flavoring extracts like vanilla, Almond, strawberry, etc... to switch up the flavors of the shakes. I never got bored! In fact, I switched up the flavors so often, I soon went back to wanting just plain vanilla again. Vanilla whey Protein tastes the best in my opinion, as well as gives you the option to really experiment with flavoring.

Also, since you will only be sleeping on your back for a couple weeks after surgery, you might want to make sure you have good padding and pillows for your bed. If you share your bed with your spouse, make sure he or she understands that you will need to take up more room with pillows and do things slightly different in your nightly routine. Since sleep can also be hard to come by after due to being in one position all night, you may want a gentle sleep relaxer. Calms Forte from Whole Foods Market is a great one and all natural. It is very gentle and does not make you drowsy the next morning.

By the way... please talk to your doctor first before taking any of my own personal advice. Everyone is different and you may have a different experience or health than me. :)

1. Blender (Magic Bullet)
  2. Liquid and crush-able pain meds
  3. Gas X (LOTS)
  4. Pillows/cushioning
  5. Flavoring extracts for protein shakes
  6. Good reading material & stuff to occupy the time

Thank you for such great info. I will definitely take into account what the doc says too, but this is good info. I appreciate your reply.

In response to Ruth -HI thanks for the informations very helpful. I am invited to a wedding 3 days after my surgery date. Do you think I would be able to attend with very minimal activity. Thanks a lots

With minimal activity you should be ok - I was on my stationary bik,e (slow) on Day 4 -(slow dancing will actually be good - you need to keep moiving around or the gas will be a problem)

Here is some stuff I have ready for surgery day and the days immediately after (didn't include food or drink):

Medical Stuff:

Pill crusher

Gas X Strips or chewables

Ice packs

Heating Pad

Lip balm

Throat spray (post intubation discomfort)

Fiber chewables

I also bought an oral spray called Biotene at Walmart that helps with dry mouth and is also a breath freshener :) - in the toothpaste aisle

Hope it helps :)

Amy

I just had my surgery yesterday I would say the following

- loose clothing to go home in

- flip flops to easily slip on

- a pillow for the car ride home or something to put over your clothes while the car is in motion.

- gas x mouth strips

- diet snapple, chicken broth, auger free Jello and Protein Shakes at home for the first 10 days.

- I disagree about excersise besides slow walking around for 7 days - you want to make sure your band doesn't move its so sensitive in the beginning my doc doesn't even let u walk up stairs unless u take them one by one and very very slowly.

- make sure you have someone at your beck and call they will be needed with all lifting and bending.

- a 100% daily value chewable Vitamin and a chewable or liquid Calcium and Vitamin D vitamin- my doc says take this everyday for rest of your life

Thanks for all the suggestions. I already take a daily Vitamin and Calcium w/vitamin D so I'm used to the daily thing with them. I just have to swtich over to chewables now. No problem.

I sure don't look forward to that liquid stage. I have to prepare myself for that.

Yeah, I forgot about the dry mouth thing! That was the biggest pain for me. I asked the nurses to give me those green mouth sponges with one glass of ice Water to soak them in and one spit cup so I could suck the water off, then spit it out. They don't allow you any water for hours after surgery and you will feel drier then you have ever felt in your life.

Another hospital gave me this mouth gel to put inside my mouth for moister. Kinda like a lip balm, but for the inside instead.