Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 60 bandsters?

After fighting for this with my ins I finally got approved--now I'm having second thoughts about doing this. Do you think those of us over 60 are being unrealistic about being banded. I need to lose about 60 lbs to be comfortable with myself (165 lbs). Have high blood pressure, knee pain, back pain, urinary incontinence. I am wondering if it is worth the risk of being banded. I am not too worried about the surgery itself since I have full confidence in my surgeon......but the long term complications I have read about are really scaring me. Sorry for being negative ... need to make my decision soon. I know if I don't do this now I will never have this opportunity again.

Me!!!I am you. I was 60 and had all the above! I have had the lapband for 19 months now. I have lost my 100 lbs. and have gained self confidence and an addiction to clothes because I can buy things in the misses and juniors dept without trying them on. I was a 22 or 24 w and am now an 8 misses or 9 juniors. I was 30 years overweight. It was 20 years since I was under 200 lbs. I am now 144 and loving it!!!Good luck, you won't regret it, I don't. Karen

After fighting for this with my ins I finally got approved--now I'm having second thoughts about doing this. Do you think those of us over 60 are being unrealistic about being banded. I need to lose about 60 lbs to be comfortable with myself (165 lbs). Have high blood pressure, knee pain, back pain, urinary incontinence. I am wondering if it is worth the risk of being banded. I am not too worried about the surgery itself since I have full confidence in my surgeon......but the long term complications I have read about are really scaring me. Sorry for being negative ... need to make my decision soon. I know if I don't do this now I will never have this opportunity again.

No you are not too old. I am 54 and just banded 2 months ago. I am down around 23 pounds and already my blood pressure is lower and my knees feel so much better going up and down the stairs!!!

Good luck!!! Wish my isurance would have covered me but I am a self pay!

You're never too old to improve your health. My doctor banded a 72 year old woman a couple years ago. She has lost over 100 pounds!

Me!!!I am you. I was 60 and had all the above! I have had the lapband for 19 months now. I have lost my 100 lbs. and have gained self confidence and an addiction to clothes because I can buy things in the misses and juniors dept without trying them on. I was a 22 or 24 w and am now an 8 misses or 9 juniors. I was 30 years overweight. It was 20 years since I was under 200 lbs. I am now 144 and loving it!!!Good luck, you won't regret it, I don't. Karen

Thanks Kil724 for your inspirational words. I really need to hear that now. You did great, 100 lbs lost in only 18 months. I have been over 200 lbs for about 10 years now and its a terrible feeling not being able to lose and control your weight. You have done great. Keep up the good work.

Thank you all for your good wishes. I only hope I can do as well as you all are doing. Will keep you posted. Cat

Hi Cat Lady! I was banded yesterday and there was a gentleman in the room next to mine who was over 60. He seemed to be doing great... was up and walking and in very good spirits. I think that you should go for it!

I am 66 and had my surgery June 20. I too felt as if I was too old but I really want to finally lose this weight so I will live a lot longer and enjoy life!!! So far I feel great, have lost about 16 pounds so far. I don't think you will regret it, time to do something for yourself. Good luck on your decision.

I am 55 and have been banded since May 26, 2011. Go for it! think about how many years you can add to your life to enjoy life!

Hi Cat Lady! I'm 59 yrs. old and am having LAP-BAND surgery probably in September. I have all of the same co-morbities that you mentioned, too. I've been researching this and working with a life coach for the past year, and I'm totally convinced that this is the right thing to do. I want to get healthy and, hopefully, be around for a very long time. So, go for it! Keep us posted on your journey. The 25th will be here soon! Good luck, and God bless.:)

I am 61 and was banded May 25th 2011. I also had many comorbidities. I don't ususally think of myself as old. Maybe I'm not realistic. The first time I thought about my age was when I was in recovery longer than usual because of my blood pressure not going down. They told my friend who was waiting I was doing well "considering my age". LOL. Seriously, I am glad that I had it done. I am down from four blood pressure pills to two. My blood sugar is more stable and I am getting more exercise. I have taken up Hula Hooping and got a Cyberbike for my Wii. I try to get in about thirty minutes of exercise a day.

I say "DO IT!" We're not old, just need a little TLC.

They told my friend who was waiting I was doing well "considering my age". LOL.

Nice bed-side manner. Glad you can take it with laughter :)

as far as being old...I am 55, but...I have decided to be like my grandmother...at 70 she wasn't going to be old until she was 80, at 80 she wasn't going to be old until she was 90 and when she was 90 she wasn't going to be old til she was 100...she died 4 months before turning 98...so she never got old and THAT is me!

I'm 59 and was banded June 9th. I don't think you're too old!!! I considered my future if I remained overweight. High BP, Knee replacements, and the complications of diabetes! I decided I want to see my grandchildren grow up and be healthy enough to enjoy them. I am not done living! I want to travel and feel good enough to enjoy it.

I would recommend banding. I don't have any regrets. I have lost 11 lbs since June 9th and already have more energy.

Good Luck (and don't read the negative stuff)!

PS: It's normal to have 2nd thoughts. I did and almost backed out. I'm glad I didn't