Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erin..I'm so sorry ot hear your story. I too lost my band so I can relate to some of youre pain and frustration. There are several of us here who just lost their bands recently..together we all can succeed. Sending you hugs :cake:

Guest FunnyFatGirl

Okay, question! How common is infection with lapband? What this poor person has been through is horrible!

Dear Erin,

Thank you for having the courage to tell us your story. You are beautiful and so is your entire family. I live in California ( Santa Clarita)! Where are you in California..let's do coffee/tea!

I will be praying for you Mrs. LESS THAN 200 LBS AND STAYING THERE! Keep on fighting the great fight not only for you but for your family Erin.

I'm so glad you found this board, which is so wonderful for support for everyone. Pre-banded. Banded. Not banded. Everyone. I've had problems with my band (currently working on insurance for removal), but yours sure do help me put it all in perspective. Thanks for sharing and best of luck to you with your recovery and weight loss maintenance!

Erin, what can any of us say but how sorry we are that you have had to go through this really awful experience. I wish I had a majic wand to fix everyone who had band problems, but, alas, I don't.

I know you are still reeling from all that has happened to you over the past several months, so perhaps you can think about this sometime down the road. With the many complications that have been posted here, I have too become nervous that this might not be the life long answer I was looking for, though I have no complaints at this time, thank God. I just like to prepare for the worse case senerio and I discussed with my band doctor about alternatives, other than RNY, I really don't want to go that route. He told me of a newer procedure they are doing now and it is called the gastric sleeve. From the literature I looked at it kind of reminds me of the DS(duodenal switch) but they don't bypass large sections of the intestines. It does reduce the size of the stomach, but allows the portion with the digestive enzymes to remain and it doesn't require the kind of maintenance that goes with having the band, like fills. There isn't the risk of malnutrition as with RNY and no dumping syndrome. It works primarily on removing the portion of the stomach that produces gherlin, a chemical that controls our appetities. With this gone, we no longer have that uncontrollable, emotional desire to eat and eat. At least that's what they say. I am seriously considering it, if and only if something happens to my band. It's just comforting to know they are really progressing with bariatric surgeries and who knows, maybe one day one of them will be just right for you.

I wish you all the best, and again, I am so sorry for all of your pain and suffering. I will keep you in my prayers and send really big (((HUGS))) your way. Please let us know how things are going for you.

Cindy

Erin I am so sorry for what you had to endure these past months. I know that you feel defeated but you can do it. There are a few bandsters that have lost their bands and they are fighting the good fight to continue losing weight. The band is just a tool but it does require a decent amount of discipline. I have faith in you. You will not gain the weight back and you WILL lose the other 50lbs. Keep visiting this site. Vent, Vent , vent and vent some more. Then after you can't vent anymore do the dang thang!!! Show yourself that you can do this. We are here for support , God Bless you!

Erin, I feel for you and would have done exactly as you-removal. Now your body will have a chance to heal and recooperate. There are many, on this board, with similiar circumstances. Keep posting and venting. Shawn

Erin,

I just wanted to say I LOVE that photo of you in the blue sweater w/ your beautiful children. You have a beautiful face & smile. What a great looking family! I read your story & all the details. Before I just read your post here but after reading all the other stuff- wow! I prayed for your healing the other night. But tonight I will pray for you to find peace & comfort with all that you are. I believe that you can be a complete success & role model to all of us. You have determination & great willpower to lose weight. With all you have gone through & your willpower to not give up, I just know that you'll lose what ever you want to lose all on your own. The good ole' fashion way.

Erin,

I just finished reading your profile. Thank you for sharing. Started reading it at work. Glad I found it tonight to finish reading it. I don't cry a whole lot but just got finished balling my eyes out. :Cry: I really don't know how you manage to keep that postive attitude. You hang in there. As I looked at those pictures I thought I was going to pass out. I could never be in the medical field. Never really looked into the problems of getting the band just jumped in with both feet. I thank God everyday. So far no complications. I hope you heal fast!!

Janet

Erin,

I sometimes forget just how fragile the band is and it good to be reminded every so often. I am so sorry to you and to the others that have gone through their battles only to lose their tool. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Thank you guys so much for all of your responses. I have had an awful week. The 'Depression Demons' are coming on strong, and I haven't been able to work through it yet. Part of my problem is that I NEED to know that the worst is behind me...and I don't believe it really is yet. The nurse came to change the wound vac packing on Friday and the nurse before (on Wed) hadn't done everything right (kind of complicated so I'll spare you) and my skin around the 'hole' is blistered, red and raw. It's so bad that they couldn't even put the wound vac back on, so I'm packing it this weekend, which sucks b/c it still hurts so bad. With the wound vac once it's done it's done for a couple of days. Packing it twice/day hurts though. I don't remember the hole from my other port infection hurting this bad, even though it was a much bigger hole. Also, my incision (where the Dr. cut open the HEALED scar from my 1st port infection and tried to make it look better...which I didn't give a dang about and had no idea he was going to do until I woke up from surgery) has started draining pus. It's been draining for almost 2 weeks now, but it's always been a bloody type drainage. Now there's no blood, it's just yellow pus. I'm SO depressed about this. I don't know what he'll do. It he'll re open it and have me pack it, have another surgery where he can re open it and I'll have a 2nd wound vac site...I just don't know. I know this is pretty technical, but in the end 1)my 2nd port infection site doesn't look good and 2)the site that HAD been healed from my 1st port infection is infected again. As bad as it's been the last 5 months, I just want it to start getting better!!!

I can't tell you how much all of your messages mean to me. When I'm feeling my lowest, I read them all...over and over and over. To have this bond with strangers is truly amazing, and is a source of inspiration to me. I do not feel strong right now. I feel as though I've been kicked in the stomach, and everytime I think it's going to be done I see the foot chamber back to kick again. Enough is enough!!! I'm ready to heal up and be 'normal' again, whatever that means. Thank you for caring!!!