Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Married ladies, did your dh go to your PS consult with you?

Hi, I totally understand what you are asking. I am dealing with the same situation. I have 5 consultations coming up and I told my husband he can go with me but I prefer he stays in the waiting room. He has been very supportive from day one and I have a past experience with sexual abuse so he understands why I prefer he stays in the waiting room. I told him after the surgery and all the swelling is over I will show him a before picture lol. I know this sounds strange..but it works for us.

OK, I'm stupid but what exactly does DH stand for?

Anyway I would never even consider doing anything like that to my body without my husband there. He is my biggest fan and advocate and he is smart. Of course I would set ground rules first because he carries on about the stupidest things sometimes and we would have discussed what I wanted done way ahead of time. But it is a personal choice and I hope all goes well for you.

I agree I think when it is surgery DH should know about it and be there to support you. Maybe ask a question that is important to him. Its surgery!!! When i scheduled my LapBand surgery my DH was coming and then we found he could not get off of work so I went anyway. I had already built it up in my mind. So my mom took me and brought me home and he took care of me at home. He has seen your body so just relax and let him go.

Cheri

I had 5 surgeries in less than 2 years. 2 shoulders, Gall Bladder, Lap Band, and Breast reduction with a lift. My husband went to all appt. with me, held my hand throught it all. Changed my babdages, fed me, made sure I always had everything I needed, most of all loved me through it all. it has been a year since my last surgery. He still sleeps in the spare room and hasn't wanted to be intimate with me. he is still very loving and suporrtive, but I think he saw me as a patient and now has a hard time seeing me as a loving wife. I think the breast reduction sent him over the edge. It was brutal.

I know I'm joining this topic late, and you may have already made your decision, but I had to chime in when you made the comment about your SIL's thighs. TOO FUNNY!! It proves my point though, which is this: you have a definite view of your body and your husband most likely has a definite DIFFERENT view of it. We all see ourselves and others differently. I went to all my consults alone. I never thought of bringing anyone with me actually! I would think they'd just be bored. Then again, my husband and I are pretty independent like that. He was there for me in every way after my TT and breast lift, but I didn't feel the need to have him in the consults. He offered to come with me when I had the surgery and I had a friend take me because I'd rather him use his time off from work after the surgery to take care of me...not to sit in the waiting room for hours!! I will add though...I had Lipo to my thighs a few months ago and he took me on the day of the surgery (it was a quick in and out procedure). He was sitting in the exam room when the surgeon came in to mark me up. It was very uncomfortable for me to be standing STARK naked in front of another man while my husband sat a few feet away. He said it was akward for him too, even though we both, obviously, were well aware that he is a doctor and is supposed to see me naked...it was weird. Best of luck with your decision, and your surgery. I'm so happy with my decision to go through with it I hope you will be too!

I know I'm joining this topic late, and you may have already made your decision, but I had to chime in when you made the comment about your SIL's thighs. TOO FUNNY!! It proves my point though, which is this: you have a definite view of your body and your husband most likely has a definite DIFFERENT view of it. We all see ourselves and others differently. I went to all my consults alone. I never thought of bringing anyone with me actually! I would think they'd just be bored. Then again, my husband and I are pretty independent like that. He was there for me in every way after my TT and breast lift, but I didn't feel the need to have him in the consults. He offered to come with me when I had the surgery and I had a friend take me because I'd rather him use his time off from work after the surgery to take care of me...not to sit in the waiting room for hours!! I will add though...I had Lipo to my thighs a few months ago and he took me on the day of the surgery (it was a quick in and out procedure). He was sitting in the exam room when the surgeon came in to mark me up. It was very uncomfortable for me to be standing STARK naked in front of another man while my husband sat a few feet away. He said it was akward for him too, even though we both, obviously, were well aware that he is a doctor and is supposed to see me naked...it was weird. Best of luck with your decision, and your surgery. I'm so happy with my decision to go through with it I hope you will be too!

I too went to my consultations by myself. I would not have objected to my husband coming with but it did not make sense for him to take time off of work for a consultation. He saved his time off and took 4 days with me after my TT. It's funny, your post said you were uncomfortable standing naked being marked up in front of your husband. I was ok with that but DH later told me it was kind of weird watching me naked with another man, on his knees, drawing lines on me. DH took great care of me - he is the best. In fact he is encourageing me to have my arms done too.

Best of luck.