Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and Unsure

I have paid my co-insurance, had my pre-op, and scheduled surgery for 7/1/11, but I am frightened. Seriously, I have never been this scared. I want to cancel the whole thing. My fear of surgery is overwhelming the benefits I once thought would make it worthwhile. When my Mom suggested this, I was resistant, then leery, then agreeable. Now I am back to resistant. I keep reading message boards and articles hoping to have an epiphany, but I haven't. I thought the fear would go away and certainty would come, but it hasn't. Yesterday, at my preop everyone kept asking if I was excited and I wasn't. I wanted to cancel right then, but I didn't. Most people seem really excited about surgery or at least excited and scared. I'm just scared. Anyone else feel this way before surgery? Any suggestions on managing this fear?

if you are not ready, don't do it. If you think you will like being restricted in your eating, go for it. If you are only afraid of post op pain, they have meds for that. it is really your decision, no one can make it for you, but i wish you the best of luck no matter what you choose.

Tammy

YES - YES - YES! I was even ready to call it off as I was being wheeled off to the OR! Here's the good thing......it wasn't hardly painful at all. I was home by 11:15 AM, in my own bed, sleeping most the day. By day three, I beleive I could have returned to work - but you have to know that I have had 4 surgeries in the past, so I knew what to expect pain wise, but was very pleased that it was totally controllable.

Now - as for the eating part - that's what scared me the most. I felt some panic that I wouldn't be able to eat - and not that'd be hungry, but that I wouldn't be able to get mentally full. So, I went to consuling and worked with a psychiatrist who could work with me, along with some meds, to help me overcome my fears and learn how to NOT use food as a comfort. I beleive the people that have had the band and been successful have learned to overcome their dependence on food.< /p>

Getting your head in the right place is far more important than getting the band.....the band is just a tool to help you lose the weight; your brian is what make it work successfully.

Good luck Tiffany! :D

You aren't alone with your thoughts and here's the good thing......once you have the band, you can slowly make it tight and give yourself the time you need to come to terms with the fact that you can no longer over eat. As you feel more confident in yourself, you can get it tightened. After that, you will be so happy with the results, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

The day of my surgery I had an anxiety attack. My surgeon said he would be worried about me if I had no concerns. It has been the best decision I have made for myself in a long time. That being said, you have to do what is right for you.

Thank you all. I am not so worried about the after surgery new habits, just the surgery itself and the potential complications. I'm 90% certain this is right. I just have that nagging 10% of worry. I just talked with a co-worker who had the surgery, and she agrees with LBT addict that it was the best decision she ever made. I think I just have to get over the fear of the unknown. Knowing others had fears, like Howdy, helps a great deal.

I have paid my co-insurance, had my pre-op, and scheduled surgery for 7/1/11, but I am frightened. Seriously, I have never been this scared. I want to cancel the whole thing. My fear of surgery is overwhelming the benefits I once thought would make it worthwhile. When my Mom suggested this, I was resistant, then leery, then agreeable. Now I am back to resistant. I keep reading message boards and articles hoping to have an epiphany, but I haven't. I thought the fear would go away and certainty would come, but it hasn't. Yesterday, at my preop everyone kept asking if I was excited and I wasn't. I wanted to cancel right then, but I didn't. Most people seem really excited about surgery or at least excited and scared. I'm just scared. Anyone else feel this way before surgery? Any suggestions on managing this fear?

Its normal to have fears we all have them and YES I had second thoughts right before the surgery too, But my rational side finally kicked in with "you'll kill yourself" if you don't get control of your health. Really its that simple................

I know you're scared - I was scared too. I was fine up until I had to walk "behind the door" from the waiting room into the surgery area and at that point I burst into tears and had to bawl in the bathroom for about 15 minutes. After that I was fine.

You are doing the right thing. You won't be thinking that for about a week after surgery, but that goes away. I am so thankful I had this surgery, and I have such a positive outlook on life now. I get compliments just about every day, and I still have a long, long way to go.

As someone else said, if you weren't scared of surgery, something would be wrong with you. It's like being scared to stand in front of a group of people and speak - everyone gets scared, nervous, anxious. But that is the great thing about being alive - you get through situations with courage and strength and you become a better person for it.

Good luck and come see us when you're on the other side - we will be here for you!

There are so many emotions involved. Fear, shame, nevousness. When u said u bawled on the floor for 15min., tears came to my eyes. I know that I will feel the same. Good luck to u and go for it. You never know if you are going to have problems or not. it is a gamble, but health is more important.