Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fustrated with lack of weight loss

I'm feeling your pain too! I've lost a total of 28lbs and my surgery was May 5th. Before my first fill I was grazing a lot and not losing anything. It does get discouraging at times. Even now, I got my first fill and am taking Zumba classes 4 times a week and counting calories but the scale still seems to stay around the same number. We just need to remember to be patient and stay off the stupid scale! :) also, have you taken measurements? Do you think it's possible you may be losing inches?

I know it's hard to stay positive, especially reading posts by people who have lost 60+lbs in like 3 months. Just remember, like others mentioned, realistically we should only be losing 1-2lbs a week. Anymore is an added bonus. You all sound like you are on track; I'm in month 5 and still am hovering around the 40lbs mark (grr). However, I have lost over 35 inches, have more stamina, and a new found confidence; while the number on the scale is a motivator don't forget about your NSV's! This is a journey for all of us, and slow and steady is not a bad thing. Pat yourself on the back for doing something good for yourself, and just be patient; we're all still learning...

i love this forum! thanks for the encouragement all those who were banded before some of us. thank you for not being negative and telling us negative things. i saw a post on here where some one who had been banded like 2 days gripping about people complaining about not loosing weight. 2 days! ha that person has no idea what we're dealing with at this stage, so maybe their tune will change once they get to our point. anyway i'm glad i read this post cuz it made me feel a whole lot better! 2nd fill on friday! praying for some restriction and more time between being hungry!:)

i love this forum! thanks for the encouragement all those who were banded before some of us. thank you for not being negative and telling us negative things. i saw a post on here where some one who had been banded like 2 days gripping about people complaining about not loosing weight. 2 days! ha that person has no idea what we're dealing with at this stage, so maybe their tune will change once they get to our point. anyway i'm glad i read this post cuz it made me feel a whole lot better! 2nd fill on friday! praying for some restriction and more time between being hungry!:)

I agree, I personally could have no idea what anyone is dealing with after having their first fill, or anything like that. Also, I think that a forum like this is the perfect place for griping because you can talk to other people going through the same thing, which is really a wonderful asset! I feel like I'm learning so much from this forum, and it helps me cope with each stage that I go through better.

Funny things is, I came onto this site tonight because I was dealing with the exact same problem! I was banded on May 18th - I did no diet prior to surgery and have lost a grand total of 41 lbs. However, every 10 lbs I keep stalling. I work out every night for at least an hour (and I really mean work out!) I had been losing quickly before and then once I started going to the gym, my weight loss decreased. It seems to take me forever to get to the next pound lost. I especially stalled at the 285 mark, now I'm finally at 275 but I keep going up and down....then again, I weigh myself every morning. I'm thinking about just having my roomies hide the scale so I don't do that anymore. All I can say is that the scale WILL go down. Believe it or not. I didn't think it would go down once I got to 285...but now I'm 10 lbs lighter. I know that this may not help, but I'm right there with you. It's frusterating...but we'll do this...together!!!!

WOW...that's all I can say! What wonderful people you all are, thank you for your words of encouragement.

I am going to take everyone's advice; hide the scale, drink lots of waters and focus on learning the new techniques and we'll see what happens in a month.

Funny things is, I came onto this site tonight because I was dealing with the exact same problem! I was banded on May 18th - I did no diet prior to surgery and have lost a grand total of 41 lbs. However, every 10 lbs I keep stalling. I work out every night for at least an hour (and I really mean work out!) I had been losing quickly before and then once I started going to the gym, my weight loss decreased. It seems to take me forever to get to the next pound lost. I especially stalled at the 285 mark, now I'm finally at 275 but I keep going up and down....then again, I weigh myself every morning. I'm thinking about just having my roomies hide the scale so I don't do that anymore. All I can say is that the scale WILL go down. Believe it or not. I didn't think it would go down once I got to 285...but now I'm 10 lbs lighter. I know that this may not help, but I'm right there with you. It's frusterating...but we'll do this...together!!!!

Maybe you are just gaining muscle. Muscles weighs more than fat and in the long run it uses more calories( I have heard.) Are your clothes getting smaller even if the scale isn't?I was just banded on Tuesday and am not an expert at this at all.

So today I just need to vent. I was banded May 26th :-) and have lost to date about 35 pounds (including loss from pre op diet) almost two weeks ago I started the "mush" stage and now I can't loose a single ounce. When I had my stiches out I weighed 289 and still the same today. I keep telling myself not to worry about it, it's all about the healing blah blah blah, but I need to see something happen on the scale, it's the only thing that keeps me motivated, I get so nervous that without even the slightest bit of success I will resort back to my old ways, but I have wanted this for so long. I don't have anything in my band as my surgeon doesn't do any fills until 6 weeks post op so my tool is not giving me anything to work with yet. I have to stay positive but I've only have a little left and it's running out of me fast.

Thanks for listening my friends!

I had no restriction until my first fill but.....I was very careful what I ate and was faithful to the gym. I did not want to fail at the band or gain any of the weight back that I had lost. I got my first fill on June 14th and it has made a big difference. I am still very careful with choices, I have NOT gone back to eating in between meals and snacking while watching TV. This is not a sprint but a marathon. It is and always will be just a tool to help us diet. Try not weighing as much and acting as if you do have restriction that is what I had to do! Best of luck

I really feel like a failure now that I read how much everyone else has lost that had surgery 2 months after I did. I very rarely fall off the wagon, I am doing cardio 3 times a week, and just had my 4th fill 2 days ago and I have only lost 2 lbs.

Increase your exercise to 5 times a week about 45 minutes.(Walking is the best!) Three days of exercise is not enough.I was banded May 25th. And have lost 15lbs and 5 inches! (Don't forget about inches)My Dr. only required that I go on a liquid diet the day before surgery so only 2 lbs is presurgery weightloss. I also have PCOS so it makes weightloss a little harder. I only eat one type of bread a day, the rest is veggies,dairy and meat. If you lost 2lbs, 2 days ago then thats excellent! You are not going to loose weight fast like someone who has had gastric bypass. 1-2 lbs a week is the goal. Also count your calories and stay between 900-1000cal. Everyone has given you good advice. Work a little harder and report back to us in a few weeks.

I really feel like a failure now that I read how much everyone else has lost that had surgery 2 months after I did. I very rarely fall off the wagon, I am doing cardio 3 times a week, and just had my 4th fill 2 days ago and I have only lost 2 lbs.

There is no reason to feel like a failure...everyone's journey is different. Based on what you are saying, my question would be how many calories are you eating each day? If you don't track it, do it for a week and see...if you are eating well and exercising, you may be eating too few calories and believe me that can be just as bad as eating too many as far as affecting your weight loss. There are many free on-line tracking sites...I like myfitnesspal.com because it has an app for my Iphone (Blackberry too) so it is convenient. Having a journal helps me because if my weight loss stops or slows down I can look back and see if I notice any problems with my diet that can be changed...for example, recently I realized that my Protein levels had dropped significantly from the time period right after I was banded so I changed my normal pattern to have a Protein shake in the morning instead of my usual Breakfast...it's nice to know that I am starting out my day 1/2 way to my Protein goal.

Good luck!

Well I had my surgery on May 12th 2011 and started my pre op diet on March 14th 2011, up until the surgery I had lost 46lbs in around two months and since the surgery I have lost 26 more lbs. My only problem is that I haven't lost a pound in over a week and drives me a little crazy but that's how it goes sometimes you will level off and sometimes loose inches and not lbs. I have lost about 2 pant sizes but I also have went from a 4x to a 2x in shirts. So keep your head up everyone we will get there!!

More 2 Love so you have lost 41 LBS in 37 days ?

hey ..i was reading everyones post....i think u're doing just fine..just keep doing what u do & the results will show.. i know understand this is not a fad diet. u really have 2 work hard at it... good luck..banded june 17th

hi

SOOOOO GLAD YOU STARTED THIS THREAD, I WAS SERIOUSLY ABOUT TO DO THE SAME THING.

I AM 6 DAYS POST OP, HAVE NOT BEEN ON THE scale BUT I AM FEELING SO WORRIED AFTER READING HOW PEOPLE AREN'T LOSING MUCH WEIGHT. I FEAR MYSELF BEING IN THE SAME SITUATION SOON ENOUGH.

AFTER ALL......... WE WENT THROUGH SURGERY, RECOVERY AND WE WANT TO SEE A DIFFERENCE. READING WHAT EVERYONE HAS POSTED HERE HAS REALLY HELPED ME JUST WHEN I WAS BEGINNING TO FEEL WORRIED AND A TAD DEPRESSED ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THIS PROCESS. GOING TO PICK MY HEAD UP AND REALIZE I HAVE A ROAD AHEAD OF ME AND BE CONFIDENT OF WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS.:D

So today I just need to vent. I was banded May 26th :-) and have lost to date about 35 pounds (including loss from pre op diet) almost two weeks ago I started the "mush" stage and now I can't loose a single ounce. When I had my stiches out I weighed 289 and still the same today. I keep telling myself not to worry about it, it's all about the healing blah blah blah, but I need to see something happen on the scale, it's the only thing that keeps me motivated, I get so nervous that without even the slightest bit of success I will resort back to my old ways, but I have wanted this for so long. I don't have anything in my band as my surgeon doesn't do any fills until 6 weeks post op so my tool is not giving me anything to work with yet. I have to stay positive but I've only have a little left and it's running out of me fast.

Thanks for listening my friends!