Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fustrated with lack of weight loss

So today I just need to vent. I was banded May 26th :-) and have lost to date about 35 pounds (including loss from pre op diet) almost two weeks ago I started the "mush" stage and now I can't loose a single ounce. When I had my stiches out I weighed 289 and still the same today. I keep telling myself not to worry about it, it's all about the healing blah blah blah, but I need to see something happen on the scale, it's the only thing that keeps me motivated, I get so nervous that without even the slightest bit of success I will resort back to my old ways, but I have wanted this for so long. I don't have anything in my band as my surgeon doesn't do any fills until 6 weeks post op so my tool is not giving me anything to work with yet. I have to stay positive but I've only have a little left and it's running out of me fast.

Thanks for listening my friends!

What you have to remember that it is VERY common for weight loss to stall (or even to gain weight) when moving to mushies or solids. I know that's not what you want to hear but that's the way it is for a lot of people (me included). You just need to be patient and keep doing what you're supposed to do and you will start losing again.

Hi Jen,

I know how you feel. I was banded May 23 and have lost 36 pounds including the pre-op diet. Since starting regular food of Proteins, fruit and veggies my weight loss has significantly slowed and pretty much stopped.

I am doing my best to be patient. I am eating about 800-1100 calories a day. Lots of Protein and very little carbs (less than 50). I have started some very light exercise and hope it will kick things into gear.

It is not realistic to expect to lose 35 pounds a month...4-8 pounds a month is what my doctor told me to expect. So I am trying to focus on that. Sticking with the plan and staying focused. I know it is hard when you look at the scale and its not moving. I say, dont weigh yourself for 2 weeks and see what happens.

Good Luck...

You are where many, many other have been. Maybe put away your scale for a couple of weeks and just concentrate on learning all your new eating habits?

I was banded May 25th. I lost all my weight in the first two weeks after surgery. I went for a fill today and I have lost a total of 6.6 pounds since the morning of surgery (4 weeks ?). I have to work to not be dissapointed with this small loss. But, I know with previous diets I have lost to about this point and then started regaining. So I am going to count it as 6.6 pounds permanently gone this month. This band world is different for me. I want to see the weight fall off while I sleep. I am glad to see that we have support from those with more experience at this.

Hang in there and keep learning. You have a huge community of support here on the forums. You are already succeeding at this and you will only get better as time goes on.

Make sure you are getting a good amount of exercise, whatever your doc says you can do. Walking is usually allowed at this point. As they let you build intensity. That a really good way to get things going.

I really feel like a failure now that I read how much everyone else has lost that had surgery 2 months after I did. I very rarely fall off the wagon, I am doing cardio 3 times a week, and just had my 4th fill 2 days ago and I have only lost 2 lbs.

oh hunnie i feel your pain. i went through the same thing. once i started eating mushies and soft foods i actually gained 2 pounds. i was ready to jump off a ledge! i spoke with my dietician and she assured me this was normal. i have a love hate relationship with my scale. i got my first fill on friday (my band was empty too) and i did nothing. i'm goin back on friday for another one. i advise you to make sure your're getting liquids in and exercise, that's pretty much all you can do at this point and wait. i totally understand where you are coming from. sending you cyber hugs!!!!:rolleyes:

Jen, that happened to me. The ONLY thing that helped (and I do track every bite and work out every day) was to up my Water intake. I drink at least 100 oz. a day (and that is minimum). For some reason it helps my metobolism. Hang in there.

Jen, that happened to me. The ONLY thing that helped (and I do track every bite and work out every day) was to up my Water intake. I drink at least 100 oz. a day (and that is minimum). For some reason it helps my metobolism. Hang in there.

me too.... if i get lazy on my water.... my weight stalls!!!

I don't feel that bad any more. I got banded May 12th and I have only lost a total of 12 lb. As many of you as soon as I started the solids I totally stopped loosing. I am getting my first fill today so I'm super excited. I also started with a great personal trainer a week ago that is kicking my butt. I think with this combination I have to break the cycle of not Loosing. Wish me luck!!!

My doctor told me that the first six weeks are for healing and learning new techniques, and if I lose some weight, great! But the real work starts after the first fill. Just be real with yourself, do what you're supposed to do, and then your doctor will have a realistic idea of how much of a fill to give you, and then you can really start working from there! I think you're doing awesome already, and that you're on the right track. Seriously!

I had surgery the day after you and have lost 25 total (including pre-op) but i am SEEING a huge difference. My clothes are looser, I am visibly "smaller" in certain areas (especially my midsection) and I know that so long as I keep with doing what I am supposed to food wise and working out the weight will continue to drop. Don't stress about the number on the scale. I am a scale stalker too but don't let it get to me anymore.

I know that I'm definitely a 'scale stalker,' but I don't let any minor changes bother me.