Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks out and only down 16 pds -Am I eating enough?

Hi everyone,

I'm a lil frustrated and hoping someone could shed some light and encouragement.

I was banded on May 9th and only down 16 pds. I feel like I'm not eating enough and that's possibly why weight is slow coming off? I currently eat 3 meals a day , but at times I'm not hungry when its time to eat and then later on find myself picking at food (healthy stuff not crap like I used to do prior to surgery). I'm also not good at calorie

counting and wondering if perhaps the Weight Watchers

program would be better for me? I had my first fill last week and I don't feel much different restriction wise. I am so frustrated that this weight is not melting off like I thought it would - I sometimes feel like I'm failing at this :0/

Hi everyone,

I'm a lil frustrated and hoping someone could shed some light and encouragement.

I was banded on May 9th and only down 16 pds. I feel like I'm not eating enough and that's possibly why weight is slow coming off? I currently eat 3 meals a day , but at times I'm not hungry when its time to eat and then later on find myself picking at food (healthy stuff not crap like I used to do prior to surgery). I'm also not good at calorie

program would be better for me? I had my first fill last week and I don't feel much different restriction wise. I am so frustrated that this weight is not melting off like I thought it would - I sometimes feel like I'm failing at this :0/

Did you pack the pounds on overnight? Doubtful. In fact it probably took years to get to the weight you're at. The weight doesn't just melt off; it's not that easy no matter if you have WLS or not. 16lbs is a great loss and at 6-weeks your body is just now almost 100% healed.

If you're not tracking your calories, maybe Weight Watchers is something to look into. Also meal timing and how many times you eat a day are irrelevant. I've gone from eating 6 times a day to fasting for 14 hours and eating all of my calories within a 10 hour window. It does not matter. Eat when you're hungry.

It can take more than one fill to feel any type of restriction so hang in there.

Good luck!

Some people don't lose any weight at all during those six weeks post-op. Some people GAIN weight in those 6 weeks. Don't judge your loss on anyone else's. As for the weight not "melting off"- it really doesn't do that. You have to eat less calories than you burn, and the band just helps you to not feel as hungry as you did before, but it might take 3 or 4 fills or more to get to that good spot.

I've heard of plenty of bandsters doing WW so definitely look into it if it interests you.

Talk to your surgeon and their team. I am with you. I have only lost 18 lbs and I am about 6 weeks out. I felt frustrated until I talked to my surgeon's team. They are great and reassured me that I am doing fine.

I can understand your frustration. I am going to the gym 4 times a week, walking the other days, given up a majority of carbs. I just wanted it to drop quicker, but as others stated in this topic, you didn't put it on overnight, how can you expect it to go away overnight. Just be patient. Be patient with your body and you will get there. Stay with your goals...

and just because you aren't losing lbs. doesn't mean you aren't losing inches. Start measuring yourself and you might feel a bit more relieved.

6 weeks out, I think I was only down 11lb. So you're ahead of me....lol. I lost 9 lb the first week then 2 week 5-6. Once I started eating a normal amount of calories (1200), with the exercise i was doing I started losing again.

Hi everyone,

How funny, I was banded May 10 and I am in the exact same boat as you. I also have just had my first fill last week and still feel hardly any restriction. I can eat a pretty good amount, more then I want to. I feel like I need another fill asap. What sucks is all these people saying, " how much did you loose?" I also thought the weight would just start falling off, May be I need to be more patient.

1-2 lbs a week is a good loss goal. 6 weeks out - six HEALING weeks out and 16 lbs, that's huge. You probably do need to eat a bit more - what's your caloric intake currently?

Have a goal of 6-8 lbs a month. Knowing that some weeks you'll lose more some less. You won't be disappointed. Expecting 10-20 lbs a month is a fool's game. While some people can and will do that, it's not safe or healthy.

Hi everyone,

im in the same boat,im 6 wks out and i keep bouncing from 10 to 12 lbs lost.i feel discouraged,thats why im on here trying to look for answers,

ive been on weight watchers and lost 30 before the band,i feel like the 10-12 i couldve done on my own.and ive been excercising as well.

hang in there, your not alone

marie