Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read postings where banders are eating regular bread. I was told to only eat whole wheat but would love a slice of sour dough at some point. Is this prohibitied? Has anyone had problems eating bread other than whole wheat?

I am a newbie, so I'm not sure but I think the reason they say whole wheat is that it's a denser texture and less likely to ball up and get stuck in your pouch. I don't think sourdough is prohibited but it just might not sit well. Toasting it or chewing extremely well would probably make it easier to handle.

I think it might just depend on your level of restriction and if you can get it down. Im a week post op so have not had bread yet, but the surgical coordinator who works with my surgeons office has had her band for 6 years and she can eat all types of bread except white sandwich bread. I think you should try it just be cautious.

I have had too many problems with all breads that I have tried to eat, so I pretty much wrote it off.

Beside, bread will fill you up fast and deny you of what you really need. Protein.< /span>

I was at a Johnny Rockets last week. Ordered a hamburger, put the bun on the side and ate the patty with a knife and fork. Also had a side of chili. FF and Onion rings are a thing of the past also.

For me, nothing is 100% off limits. I choose not to eat bread but it wouldn't get stuck. It might make me gain weight but it's not like I'm not allowed to have it laugh.gif

But... when push comes to shove, call your doctor/nutritionist and ask them why this rule exists.

I think you'd be fine. I eat all sorts of breads with no problems, though I don't have a fill. If you can eat a slice of bread without eating the whole loaf, go for it! Everything in moderation. Eating white bread doesn't make you gain weight, excess calories do. The only difference between white bread and whole wheat bread is the Fiber content.

I think just the white fluffy bread is a no no but others probably will be okay.

I've never had a problem with bread; toasted or not. But since I had to go so long without it (until phase 4), it doesn't taste as good to me. I have been a bread and starch eater my whole life, but I'm glad to report that is changing.

I agree with the other post - moderation is the key; Protein is more important than bread.

I can't eat any kind of bread. It all gets stuck no matter what I do. I've given up on it.

I'm at restriction and I can eat bread; I just choose not to due to empty calories. If there is a "fancy bread" ie not plain white, wheat at a special occation I allow myself to have a small slice.

I have read postings where banders are eating regular bread. I was told to only eat whole wheat but would love a slice of sour dough at some point. Is this prohibitied? Has anyone had problems eating bread other than whole wheat?

who say you can't eat bread you can eat anything you want after about the first 3 weeks that my experience I had the band in may have to go back for a fill in 3 weeks I need it I feel no restriction at all. it 's

all will power for me but Im lossing weight

Some people don't eat bread because of the "stuckage" issue, some people don't eat it because of glycemic index issues.

The OP mentioned hoping to have some sourdough bread in the future. That can probably be done. I would try not to eat "doughy" bread, but crusty or toasted bread in small amounts would be a reasonable choice.

Do some reading and research on Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load. It's a bit confusing to learn, but worth the effort. I find that if I avoid high glycemic foods, I lose weight easier and have less hunger.

Just make sure you log the calories. I don't eat a lot of bread but if we go to dinner I may eat a few bites of toasted bread. I choose to not say anything is off limits as long as I count the calories.

:unsure: As I understand it from research for DH diabetes, whole grain foods work our digestive systems really well. I don't have trouble with any all the time. Seldom do I bother with it, but on the times I have it's worked. Usually I do cinimion bread toasted, pick at cheese biscuts and can handle a bun from the grill. There are many times that it doesn't work. But I am like that with many foods. Today I couldn't eat a fruit coctail.