Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I had surgery a little over 4 months ago and am doing really well, I've lost almost 65 pounds and am about 25 pounds away from my initial goal, but lately I have noticed myself slipping up quite a bit. I was being extremely strict about portions, counting calories, etc. and now (for about the last 5 days) I am finding myself having trouble with nighttime picking. This was always a huge problem for me --- do great during the day and go nuts at night.

I ate m&m's, 2 Cookies, some potato chips, etc. The sad part is a couple of months ago, this would have been a normal day, and now, even though these "cheats" happened on different days, I feel like I am pigging out. Funny how your outlook on things can change in the matter of a few months. I don't know whether I am being too hard on myself and whether I have to realize that its normal to give in to indulgences at times, but I guess I am just nervous because giving into indulgences is what landed me into getting WLS.

I know what I need to do, but I guess I just need some motivation. I am so scared I may gain this weight back that I worked very hard to take off. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone have any advice on how they got back on track?

THANKS!!!

I've been slipping over the past week as well- eating foods I know I shouldn't because they lead to more and more bad choices for me- and what do you know, that's exactly what I've done. I'm considering going back to a day or two of just Protein Shakes, to remind myself how far I've come in the past two months and how far I still need to go. I hope someone has good advice for you!

I have a few thoughts. The first one is too get rid of the junk in your house. If it's not there you can't pick at it. Another is to start excersising if you haven't already. Not only is it helpfull for weight loss there is something about it that helps with food choices. You have come so far, don't stop now!

I do the same thing! Basically I try to let myself indulge occasionally, but if I find it becoming a daily thing then I know I need to get it in check! Do you work out? I feel like I have some room to indulge because I go to the gym 5x's a week. So, that helps keep things evened out. I feel like if I'm going to live the rest of my life banded I'm going to have to let myself enjoy things sometimes. I try to make healthier choices if I can. Instead of potato chips I'll eat Stacy's pita chips (at least they have 3g protein!) If I'm craving Fries I'll make roasted oven fries (I have a good recipe if anyone is interested.) If I want chocolate I'll have it... I try to only eat 1/2 the regular size candy bar, or sometimes I'll have ice cream- skinny cow truffle bars or regular ice cream but only a 1/2 cup serving. But I still indulge in basically whatever I want...and my substitutions can't be too drastic! I can't go eat cottage cheese when I'm craving ice cream, you know?!

It's hard for me, because I'm still not at the "sweet spot" so I find myself snacking A LOT. I would say, maybe you need a fill...if you're really hungry in the evenings and it's not just head hunger. Good luck! We're all human...Nobody is perfect! Just try to "make it up" somewhere else. Maybe an extra 20 mins tonight at the gym will have you feeling less guilt?

Get the junk food out of the house! Replace it with guilt free Snacks. Cut up carrots, celery etc and have it in the fridge so it's available when you want it. I found some awesome chips recently. They're called Pop Chips. They're air popped potato chips and only have 5 calories each. I dip them is salsa which has virtually no calories. I can pig out on them til I'm stuffed and only consume 100 calories or so. Make rules for yourself that you can live with. One of mine is the kitchen is off limits if the TV is on. Another one is I can eat that but I have to eat it naked in front of the mirror! Try and find yourself a new obsession...one that doesn't have to do with food. Mine is my beloved Detroit Tigers. If they're playing, I'm watching. Therefore, the TV is on and I stay out of the kitchen.

Thanks for all the advice. Getting the junk out of the house seems to be the smartest thing to do! Unfortunately, I have not been exercising much either. I am sure if I did, I would feel less guilty about indulging a bit. Yes, I am stressed --- we are in the process of renovating our new home and trying to rent out our current apartment. So paying 2 mortgages for the last two months plus the cost of renovating has been very stressful.

I got back on track today - cut up all fresh fruit and made a fruit salad for breakfast!

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!!

@Korilynn - I definitely would love to try your recipe! Thanks!

I have noticied that I am doing the same things...I have lost 40lbs and am officially 199lbs. I am trying to get back on track quick. I can't snack...I do great with my meals, but, then, I have a cookie or chocolate, etc. I have some junk food in my house for my kids/husband, I just need to stay away from it. I am going to exercise at lunch time today. It is so hard to change these old behaviors....but I am determined to. I feel great having lost 40lbs, I know I can make it to 50, 60, and eventually to my 100 goal.

I love this board...It is so nice to talk to people who truly understand what you are going through.

Ok, so I had surgery a little over 4 months ago and am doing really well, I've lost almost 65 pounds and am about 25 pounds away from my initial goal, but lately I have noticed myself slipping up quite a bit. I was being extremely strict about portions, counting calories, etc. and now (for about the last 5 days) I am finding myself having trouble with nighttime picking. This was always a huge problem for me --- do great during the day and go nuts at night.

I ate m&m's, 2 Cookies, some potato chips, etc. The sad part is a couple of months ago, this would have been a normal day, and now, even though these "cheats" happened on different days, I feel like I am pigging out. Funny how your outlook on things can change in the matter of a few months. I don't know whether I am being too hard on myself and whether I have to realize that its normal to give in to indulgences at times, but I guess I am just nervous because giving into indulgences is what landed me into getting WLS.

I know what I need to do, but I guess I just need some motivation. I am so scared I may gain this weight back that I worked very hard to take off. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone have any advice on how they got back on track?

THANKS!!!

WOW!! You have done really well!! Congratulations!!! I feel the same way!! I was banded on May 17 and just had my first fill last Thursday. I was told i have the large band that holds 14cc and i had 5 cc in it from surgery!! They add 2 cc so now I have 7. Strange thing is.... I dont feel like i am being restricted of anything. I feel just like i did before being banded. I know a lot of ppl that have had this done and they say that when they have fills or eat certain things that they vomit and feel really full. Well, I haven't thrown up or anything. LOL, I wondering if they really banded me or not!!!

So, how have you done so well? I lost 18 pounds during my two week pre-op diet and only 4 from surgery!!!! I walk alot too!!! I do need to work on restricting myself from eating more than i should, I just thought the band would help with that.

Jen

@ Band 29,

I have 7 ccs in a 10 cc band and I still don't have restriction. Don't feel bad! You will get there, it just takes some people more than others to have restriction. I'll get a fill, have good restriction for 2 or 3 weeks and then I'm back to needing a fill again! Just go with it and it will be fine!

Jay150,

Oven Fries (I got the recipe from Self magazine.) Preheat the oven to 450 F . Peel and cut 3-4 med potatoes into fry shapes. Soak your cut "fries" in cold Water for 15 mins, drain and pat them dry. Then pour on about a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle them with seasoning salt or whatever you like. Bake on a cookie sheet ( I spray it with Pam just so they don't stick!) for 20-25mins until crispy, turn them halfway thru cooking to make sure they brown on both sides. serves 2-3.

@ Band 29,

I have 7 ccs in a 10 cc band and I still don't have restriction. Don't feel bad! You will get there, it just takes some people more than others to have restriction. I'll get a fill, have good restriction for 2 or 3 weeks and then I'm back to needing a fill again! Just go with it and it will be fine!

Jay150,

Oven Fries (I got the recipe from Self magazine.) Preheat the oven to 450 F . Peel and cut 3-4 med potatoes into fry shapes. Soak your cut "fries" in cold Water for 15 mins, drain and pat them dry. Then pour on about a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle them with seasoning salt or whatever you like. Bake on a cookie sheet ( I spray it with Pam just so they don't stick!) for 20-25mins until crispy, turn them halfway thru cooking to make sure they brown on both sides. serves 2-3.

I am going to try that recipe...sounds easy and really good when I want something crunchy.

I keep little things in the house that are low-damage munchies to help me out with snack-attacks. I keep kalamata olives and baby dill pickles for when I want something salty, I keep low-carb wheat crackers and hummus for when I want something crunchy, and I keep fruit, sugar-free pudding, or skinny cow icecream for when I want sugar (sugar seems to be my least-craved snack, thank goodness). That way my snack easily fits in my daily calories-- but none of these are foods I crave beyond anything, so they never set off a binge either.

If you want to make your potatoes greek style add garlic cloves. YUM!

I was banded April 27th and had my first fill on June 1st. I have very little restriction and at first felt cheated compared to all of the other bandsters. I HAVE lost 18 lbs. since surgery.

But, I know, for sure, that the weight reduction is from calorie restriction (I have tried to be very strict at 1200 calories).

So here is the confession part. In addition to being very strict at 1200 caloires, have also had a couple of days which have been total disasters. I had a couple of really drippy quesadillas and another day had fries and a tuna melt. There is a difference in my reaction to the slips between NOW and before the surgery. I guess it is mostly motivation to keep following the plan and keep on track. I also find that the thing that keeps me on track the most is my food diary. I use the MyLapBanJourney.com website to record and keep my food and activity diaries and weight. The accounability to a dumb website is working wonders...Who would have thought?

Back to my original thought which was, "How would I tell someone that I get back ontrack?". "I am no longer beating myself up and anything related to weight and food."