Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The carbonated drink myth

Now that makes sense.,all that carbonation would be really bad for you .I can't even imagine drinking all that - not even in my ffp days, the occasional glass yes but 2 litres plus per day never! Give me a nice cup of tea rather. Good job that isn't banned post band as I really would be in trouble.

Before the band I was a Diet Coke junkie. So, it is better for me to just stay away from sodas PERIOD. I drink Crystal Light some but I have learned to love Water. My doctor does say NO carbonation but for me it is more about self control. If I had one Diet Coke it would surely lead to another!

I know Elcee, occasionally people say things that make my jaw hit the floor - I never drank diet coke in that sort of quantity - its always been an occasional thing for me. I couldnt believe in the movie Supersize Me how American cars have larger cup holders to accommodate what is literally a bucket of soft drink - OMG!!!!! But I think it pays to remember people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones, I"m sure i could disgust people with my stories of custard tarts from the local bakery, lol. We're all suffering from the same disease to one degree or another.

Now coffee on the other hand.....hmmmm, I think I'm lucky I'm happy with instant coffee or plunger coffee made at home rather than tons of espresso, but I get through six or seven mugs a day.

I'm sitting here reading everyone's comments whilst sipping on a delicious glass of a citrus flavoured sparkling mineral Water. sugar-free of course. tongue.gif

Well, yet another reason. My Dr. says to avoid combination simply because it causes erosion in the stomach where the band is, makes sense to me. Do you know that they clean cat parts with coke, just resolves everything right off. Thought you girls that drink coke might or need to know this bit of info. That's all

Well, yet another reason. My Dr. says to avoid combination simply because it causes erosion in the stomach where the band is, makes sense to me. Do you know that they clean cat parts with coke, just resolves everything right off. Thought you girls that drink coke might or need to know this bit of info. That's all

Coke is great for dissolving rust!

Well, yet another reason. My Dr. says to avoid carbination simply because it causes erosion in the stomach where the band is, makes sense to me. Do you know that they clean car parts with coke, just desolves everything right off. Thought you girls that drink coke might or need to know this bit of info. That's all

Well, yet another reason. My Dr. says to avoid carbination simply because it causes erosion in the stomach where the band is, makes sense to me. Do you know that they clean car parts with coke, just desolves everything right off. Thought you girls that drink coke might or need to know this bit of info. That's all

So how is carbonation going do desolve your band , your band is on the outside of your stomach and again it's a liquid , so it will pass right by the band , and even if carbonation could erode your stomach , don't you think it will happen to everybody who drinks it's , all those people wil have holes in there stomachs

The caffeine piece is more interesting to me. A lot of people on here regularly consume coffee (fully caffeinated at that) and don't have problems. I read it's because the caffeine can cause ulcers (same reason we can't take anything but Tylenol for pain). Now, my surgeon's are more conservative, so perhaps coffee in moderation is fine. But I am definitely more concerned about being sans caffeine than sans carbonation. The carbonation expanding the pouch to a degree makes sense as well - and it does cause some gas. Given the thread I just read about increased burping/farting - I think I'll stay away from it for a while. laugh.gif

I love this post!! :rolleyes: The thought of NOT ever being able to have a diet coke ever again, is one of the main things that took me so very long to even decide that I want to be banded. It's good to know that so many of you tolerate it okay. I know a lady that was banded over a year ago and she has been drinking diet Mt. Dew the whole time. I do want to watch how many I drink, because I do worry about the chemicals in that not being good for us, but for the most part, I don't usually drink too many a day, anyhow.....unless I hit the McDonald's drive thru and get a large one for $1. They really got me when they made all sizes the same price! lol!! But, at least it's diet.

Ugh! I burp enough! No need to add to it by drinking a Diet Coke. :lol:

My Dr. says that the carbonation expands the stomach, which will cause us to overeat, because we no longer feel full. I no longer drink Coke when I was working in a hospital & they showed us a study where they put a screw into a coke & it dissolved after a week. Imagine What is it doing to our insides?! it also can dissolve the rust off nuts, & remove blood stains... I just couldn't dink another soda after that.

I have realized that my body craves water... I can't give up my coffee... it needs to flow thru my veins for me to function...lol. But that is my one vice. :)

My doctors have been doing wls surgery for a long time and are a center for excellence. There is a rule about absolutely no carbonation. This can cause stretching and I believe it and it can cause your band to slip. Have u ever put a new balloon on a bottle of coke? Watch it expand and stretch, the balloon does not go back to its original tightness. Over and over this will eventually happen. We needed wls surgery because we stretched our stomachs out from over eating in the first place. Follow what rules you feel like but I will follow them all. I haven't had carbonation in about 15 months and I could care less. I would rather maintain my weight loss then try to see if it a myth or not.

What it all boils down to is that every single one of us needs to follow our doctors instructions TO THE LETTER! While every doctor has his own ideas about the process, the bottom line is we have entrusted him with our health and futures and paid him an absurd amount of money in the process. If you can't trust his expertise either you have gone to the wrong doctor or you aren't really ready for the journey.

My doctor's rule is NO CARBONATION~PERIOD!!!

The problem is...your stomach fills up with carbonated drinks and the bubbles pop which can cause the band to slip from the pressure.

My Dr has the same thought... however he explained it that as the gas fills the pouch it expands... then deflates. Once or twice isnt an issue.... however repeatly it can cause the band to slip. It may not... but why chance it?

I have has 2 diet cokes in 6 months and both were allowed to sit for 20 minutes before I drank them to get some of the carbonation out.... I drank them slowly and didnt have any problem but if I work my way back to pre band days... I'll be drinking 4-8 every day which may not be a good thing.