Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The carbonated drink myth

I have thought about this a fair bit and I have come to the conclusion that 'carbonated drinks stretch your pouch' is a myth. rolleyes.gif

It just seems a bit trusting to take that statement at face value.

For a start, there are actually two holes for the gas to escape, either up or down... if food is blocking the down bit, then up it comes... I know that from experience LOL.

The pouch is made from an elastic material and the brief time a little liquid is effervescing in it is not enough to permanently stretch it.

I know if I drink carbonated drinks too fast that I pay for it either by burping or it coming back up... blink.gif but I don't believe it can stretch our pouches.

I am not advocating drinking sugary or alcoholic carbonated drinks... all I'm saying is that I don't think a bit of sparkling Water, soda Water or sugar free diet sodas is going to be bad for us.

We have to deprive ourselves of so many things, why deprive ourselves unnecessarily?

biggrin.gif

For a start, there are actually two holes for the gas to escape, either up or down... if food is blocking the down bit, then up it comes... I know that from experience LOL.

That is very true. And it seems after banding the gas escapes more often than it does prior to banding!

I asked my Dr about this a couple of months after banding and was told that carbonation is fine so long as it doesn't cause me any discomfort. Apparently some people can handle it, others can't. I think drinking it slowly rather than trying to gulp it down makes a big difference as well. I don't see how it could stretch the pouch - it is just not logical.

One of the best low cal, refreshing summer drinks there is , is a lime and soda.

For me, I just have SO much burping gas ALL the time anyways from the band, I don't really want soda adding to it. I think it would just be really uncomfortable. Besides, I feel better not having soda and chemicals.. don't feel like it was helping me any.

Yes gulping is not advisable biggrin.gif

That is very true. And it seems after banding the gas escapes more often than it does prior to banding!

I asked my Dr about this a couple of months after banding and was told that carbonation is fine so long as it doesn't cause me any discomfort. Apparently some people can handle it, others can't. I think drinking it slowly rather than trying to gulp it down makes a big difference as well. I don't see how it could stretch the pouch - it is just not logical.

One of the best low cal, refreshing summer drinks there is , is a lime and soda.

Fair enough biggrin.gif

For me, I just have SO much burping gas ALL the time anyways from the band, I don't really want soda adding to it. I think it would just be really uncomfortable. Besides, I feel better not having soda and chemicals.. don't feel like it was helping me any.

I would have to agree with you about it not stretching your pouch. Your stomach is made out of an elastic material and can be stretched over time, but not by carbonation but by over eating. So we need to be more careful about the food we eat rather than the drinks.< /p>

While I do believe that we should all strive to follow the directives of our bariatric team for best success, I also believe that we have to educate ourselves and that to some degree the truly educated can in fact "agree to disagree" with their doc on something.

My surgeon says no caffeine. I say, uh, not gonna happen. I've read the caffeine health literature and it is so inconclusive. One potential problem with caffeine is that it can act as a diuretic, making you dehydrated. While that is true, it's only true when you have excessive amounts and doesn't seem to be a problem with 1-2 doses. The other is a myth-- the idea that as a stimulant, caffeine increases appetite has just not been supported in any reasonable way. Yes, it is a stimulant, but it is an incredibly mild stimulant. Sure, take cocaine and you're gonna want to eat. But cocaine is a very strong stimulant and you can't equate the two in effects. Actual research does not support this commonly touted "truth" about caffeine.

This post is, of course, about carbonation. My doc says no and I've decided to follow the rule. I'm not so sure it will stretch out my pouch to have it, but the sips I've taken of carbonated beverages have made me really gassy and uncomfortable, so it's just not worth it whether it's dangerous or not. I think it's a rule that isn't really based on factual evidence though, so I don't think people who drink carbonated beverages are really going to be permanently damaged from it.

I love my coffee and I like having it on weekends and 1 cup on the way to work. As far as carbonated drinks...yesterday I was at a backyard party and had a Miller Light 64. This beer only has 64 calories and was refreshing. I felt guilt free drinking it - and I only had 1. I was gassy though! Everything in moderation! But with all that being said some of us really hae to think about our old drinking habits and ask how many carbonated beverages are we consuming? I agree thatthe chemicals and artifical sweeters cand stimulate our appetites and should be consumed in very limited quanities.

My doctors have been doing wls surgery for a long time and are a center for excellence. There is a rule about absolutely no carbonation. This can cause stretching and I believe it and it can cause your band to slip. Have u ever put a new balloon on a bottle of coke? Watch it expand and stretch, the balloon does not go back to its original tightness. Over and over this will eventually happen. We needed wls surgery because we stretched our stomachs out from over eating in the first place. Follow what rules you feel like but I will follow them all. I haven't had carbonation in about 15 months and I could care less. I would rather maintain my weight loss then try to see if it a myth or not.

I don't know why...but I feel lousy if I drink anything with carbonation. In general, I believe we can everything with our bands and I really don't think you can stretch your pouch by drinking a coke, but for some reason carbonation doesn't agree with me. I can't do soda or beer, I even feel bad with whipped cream....Oh the sacrifice!

It's really been no big deal for me, and I can eat most everything else, including bread and pizza.

Just one more example of how we have to figure out our bands and our bodies and use our brains.

Everything in moderation, including carbonated drinks.

Cindy

since my surgery on 5-26-11, I have bought one 20 oz diet coke and one 20 oz diet big red. I still have most of the diet coke in the refrigerator, it took me all day to drink the big red. My doctor said it was ok as long as I was slow in drinking it. To me the diet coke no longer takes good...and that was my drink of choice for YEARS.

My doctors have been doing wls surgery for a long time and are a center for excellence. There is a rule about absolutely no carbonation. This can cause stretching and I believe it and it can cause your band to slip. Have u ever put a new balloon on a bottle of coke? Watch it expand and stretch, the balloon does not go back to its original tightness. Over and over this will eventually happen. We needed wls surgery because we stretched our stomachs out from over eating in the first place. Follow what rules you feel like but I will follow them all. I haven't had carbonation in about 15 months and I could care less. I would rather maintain my weight loss then try to see if it a myth or not.

The balloon does not have a hole at the end. The stomach does - it is not a closed system.

I am not breaking my Dr's rules as my Dr allows carbonation if a person can tolerate it. I actually very rarely drink carbonated drinks. If I am out and thirsty I usually buy bottled Water or iced tea(high cal I know). But at home in summer I will often make soda water and drink it with a dash of lime. It is very refreshing and not full of chemicals.

If your Dr has a rule about no carbonation then you should not break it unless you discuss it with him/her first.But this is not a rule that is written in stone and if your Dr does not require it then you should not spend your time worrying unnecessarily .

Really , did you even think about what you said , yes if you put a ballon over a soda it will inflate , now put a ballon with a hole in it and see if it inflates , now I drink carbonate stuff all the time and what I have learn from this is , I don't see how a liquid can even sit in your pouch , since liquids are supposed to pass right trough the band and it's not the carbonation and your pouch , it's more of it sitting in your stomach making gas , which is harder to pass trough the band back out your mouth , that's why most of can't burp anymore anyways , I don't burp I just let out air and it can make it very

uncomfable for some , there has never been any test or studies on the matter at all , just what are doctors tell us , I bet most of them say don't drink things with carb because most of all drinks that have carbs , has sugar and calories in them

There's many reasons why I very very rarely drink soda, but stretching my pouch or causing my band to slip are not ones that I worry about. I worry more about what is in them, how bad they are for you, what all those chemicals do to your bones, etc etc. I wont let my kids have soda regularly either - full strength OR diet.

My carbonation comes more in the form of champagne, lol!

Truth be told, i find sodas rather uncomfortable to drink anyhow.

My doctor's rule is NO CARBONATION~PERIOD!!! According to him, it has nothing to do with stretching the pouch. Unless you have something stuck, beverages go right through. The problem is...your stomach fills up with carbonated drinks and the bubbles pop which can cause the band to slip from the pressure. While, small amounts aren't likely to cause a problem, his thought process is this....Most of us in our obese days drank a crap ton of pop and telling us that it's ok in moderation most will start drinking more and more and eventually work our way back up to 3 or 4 2-liters a day.