Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok This Sucks!!

I had surgery on Monday Lap band with hiatal hernia repair that was large in size for my age the dr said. I am not feeling very good. pressure in the spot where they put the incision to lift the liver. Don't know if it is from the hernia or the liver is sore or what. Basically my entire left side still hurts. The worst is when I try to get out of bed, or have been sitting a while and get up to walk. My legs feel like Jello or like they have weights attached to them. I am not happy with my recovery so far. I don't know if it is normal to feel this way or not. I feel like I have gut rot or something all day. I am regretting having this done. I keep having horrible nightmares that the drs were stealing my organs. It's what it feels like at least.

It sounds pretty normal to me. When I was healing my whole left side of my torso didn't feel very good. Oddly enough, the only way I could sleep was if I slept on my left side and facing the back of the couch. Couldn't sleep in a bed or any other way, it felt the best that way. If I layed on my right side, it would almost feel like a huge cramp in my stomach. Getting up always sucked. But once I was up and walking around for a couple minutes, I felt fine.

I didn't have a hernia repair, for what it's worth.

how long did it take you to feel human again? Also how do we get calories in? I don't get more than 200 a day right now and the dr said not to take my chewable vitamins yet. I feel weak and stuff. And the Protein Powder is making me sick when I even think about drinking any more of it.

It sounds pretty normal to me. When I was healing my whole left side of my torso didn't feel very good. Oddly enough, the only way I could sleep was if I slept on my left side and facing the back of the couch. Couldn't sleep in a bed or any other way, it felt the best that way. If I layed on my right side, it would almost feel like a huge cramp in my stomach. Getting up always sucked. But once I was up and walking around for a couple minutes, I felt fine.

I didn't have a hernia repair, for what it's worth.

You sound just like me! I had pain on my left side too.. I had my surgery on the 31st of May and still have one spot where it hurts. The sofa was the only place I could sleep comfortably!

how long did it take you to feel human again? Also how do we get calories in? I don't get more than 200 a day right now and the dr said not to take my chewable Vitamins yet. I feel weak and stuff. And the Protein powder is making me sick when I even think about drinking any more of it.

I am just starting to feel more human and I am nearly 2 weeks out! Don't worry if it takes you a little longer than some because everyone is different. I read people went back to work after 4 or 5 days.. there was NO way I could have. I was up and walking the day after, but I had a really hard time sleeping, so that didn't help my recovery go any faster for sure.

As far as calories, my nurse told me I didn't need to do sugar free stuff at this point because I was getting so little. The only shake that didn't make me sick was a slim fast. Not the best choice, but it was what I could tolerate. I lived on apple juice and slim fast. Now anything with artificial sweeteners leaves the worst taste in my mouth so I am still having a hard time, but I have moved on to mushie foods now so it is not as hard for me.

Give yourself a few weeks.. you will feel better!!! Just don't be on some time table in your head. Do get up as much as you can, that helped me a lot. Go out side, get some fresh air, that always does wonders!

One thing I was kinda grateful for was that I have learned over the last few weeks is that I can get by without food when I need comfort! So I think the struggle was worth it for me. I was banded on the 31st and even though I am up and doing things.(. I have 5 kids, so I have no choice :) ) I still have some discomfort, so just breath deeply and try to relax and you will get there!!

Try drinking Protein Water, I think its is special K. Also, I drank Gator Aid. Both should be able to not just replenish your electrolytes, but also give you some needed calories. Good luck. Karen

Yes it hurts like nothing else I had the same thing done the pain will go away walk as much as you can it will help.

how long did it take you to feel human again? Also how do we get calories in? I don't get more than 200 a day right now and the dr said not to take my chewable Vitamins yet. I feel weak and stuff. And the Protein powder is making me sick when I even think about drinking any more of it.

It was back in October, I honestly don't remember. I think it was a week, maybe 8 days or so. I lived on Water, apple juice, campbell's chicken broth, and Vitamin Water. The first stage of mushy food I usually ate campbell's potato Soup.

That left side pain is caused from where they sewed the port in. Give it a couple weeks. It will get better!

This sounds just like my expierience. I had surgery May 27th. I also had a hernia I didnt know about. I was so sore for almost 2 weeks. The area where my port is was by far the worst. Many nights I had to sleep in the recliner. I went back to the Dr last friday and had an unfill due to alot of vomiting. He said I had Fluid build up near my port. As soon as he cleared it I could tell and immediate difference. I feel sooo much better since that visit. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Your liver is on the right side of your body...so the pain is not from that. Its from the bigger incision where they put the camera and the port. The pain will get better. I seemed to feel dramatically better after about 8-10 days.

You will stop hurting, you will feel human. It just takes time. You also are contending with a hernia repair so you have that added issue. And you might or might not be a little more sensitive to pain then others. Everyone is different.

Sounds like alot of us had a similar experience. I had my surgery on May 31st and I had an unexpected hernia repair as well. The first week I was really sore. Had to keep taking my pain meds around the clock and that made it tolerable for me to get up and move around. I found that the more I did get up and move the better I felt. I too couldn't sleep for a few days. I found that sleeping on my back with pillows all around me really helped. I also held a pillow over my stomach for support. That was very helpful. It was real hard to get up and down out of bed and in chairs for about 3-5 days. The port area was very sore. I just had my 2 week follow up appointment this week and told them that my port area is still very tender. My dr. said that was normal because they had to sew the port into the muscle. Also because I had a hernia, he had to sew some mesh in there and he said that will cause it to be very sore as well. It's now 15 days post op and I feel like a human again. I do still notice the soreness from time to time but mostly it's because I over do it from time to time. Lifting and bending and such.

As far as eating. I too couldn't eat very much for a few days. I lived on sugar free popsicles and Jello. And crystal light is a lot easier to get down than Water. I just had to eat and drink real slow. I also could drink my Protein shakes but it would take like 30 minutes to get 1/2 a cup down. Now I'm on softs and doing great.

Good luck to you. It does get better I promise.

I had surgery on Monday Lap band with hiatal hernia repair that was large in size for my age the dr said. I am not feeling very good. pressure in the spot where they put the incision to lift the liver. Don't know if it is from the hernia or the liver is sore or what. Basically my entire left side still hurts. The worst is when I try to get out of bed, or have been sitting a while and get up to walk. My legs feel like Jello or like they have weights attached to them. I am not happy with my recovery so far. I don't know if it is normal to feel this way or not. I feel like I have gut rot or something all day. I am regretting having this done. I keep having horrible nightmares that the drs were stealing my organs. It's what it feels like at least.

I had the same thing done and the only comfortable place was the couch. I would encourage you to walk as much as possible even if it is to the end of your driveway. Once I started walking and released that gas I felt better. It is still sore to roll off that side from sleeping. I found that the muscle milk chocolate and cake batter have 20 g of Protein taste pretty good and make me feel full. It will get better. I was banded on May 17, and now I am at the gym walking on the tread mill. Good luck it does get better!

Hi Melissa,

I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow, I'm 23 y/o and also had a large hiatal hernia repair. I have 5 incisions with 4 of them being very small and 1 being about 3-4 inches. I totally know how you feel! I felt HORRIBLE for the first 2 weeks, felt pretty crappy during week 3 but around day 18 I woke up feeling pretty good! It WILL get better. I did not have a regretful day but I did have a few days I just wanted to sleep away. Get lots of rest and don't sit or lay for too long. Take little walks when possible and this will help. The weakness is normal after any type of major surgery and also the lack of calories and nutrients. I went back to work after 2 weeks and that 3rd week was very rough. I know it may seem like it'll never get better, but it does! I'm starting back to the gym tonight and have my first fill Wednesday.

If you need anything, feel free to contact me on here. You'll get through this and it will be worth it.