Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days post op and i need help....

Never in my life did i think that this whole Lap Band thing would be so bad........ it sucks! i have never been in so much pain and discomfort, but i am trying to find the positive in this but it is just so hard. i hope it works as well as they say today is 6/8/11 and it has only been 7 days since my surgery and i still have the worst GAS pain ever. in the back of my mind i kind of wish i would have never got this done......PLEASE HELP! anyone with tips or advice please let me know because i need help all i want to do is cry.

I know where you are. I wasn't given adequate pain medication and I hurt for a long time after surgery. I remember telling my husband I now understand how people with chronic pain get depressed. I wasn't able to sit up for more than an hour at a time the first week.

It will get better. Walk as much as you can, even just around your house if that's all you can do. Take your pain meds as often as you are allowed. Try gas-x strips. Heating pads on low. And be patient.. the band DOES work.. you're just still healing.

get some gas x strips.. get the blue not the red.. they HELP!!!

Call your doctor and get better drugs. See if you can take more time off of work. Use a heating pad wherever the pain is, and on your abdomen, to help ease the gas.

I sure wouldn't have been able to go back to work at 7 days out! I was still feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. It WILL get better!

Thank you for that i do have the gas x strips and a heating pad and they both do help alot...... i called my dr and he told me to get childrens tylenol...... yeah right im 300lbs and that crap dose nothing....the pain is the worst at night b4 bed and i just cant get comfortable enough to sleep i find my self still up at 4 AM i just dont know what to do :(

Thank you for that i do have the gas x strips and a heating pad and they both do help alot...... i called my dr and he told me to get childrens tylenol...... yeah right im 300lbs and that crap dose nothing....the pain is the worst at night b4 bed and i just cant get comfortable enough to sleep i find my self still up at 4 AM i just dont know what to do :(

I had some trouble with gas also. But not nearly as long as you have. The walking should help you lots. I was back to normal by 7 days, the gas only lasted for a few days, but my heart goes out to you. Hope you feel better soon. Try to not get discouraged, it will get better.

sad thing, today is my 7th day and I feel the same way! i am still on clear Water ice chips and popsicles due to my heartburn, Ive tried gas x heating pad, they just put me on prilosec. Im miserable! Worst part, Ive got 7 kids that I have no desire to care for due to the pain in my chest! I think my husband is regreting me doing this :(

oh i'm so sorry to hear your having so much pain. the gas pain was in the shoulder was the worse for me. tomorrow i will be 3 weeks post op and at 2 and a half weeks is when it was gone. finally! i found that walking on the treadmill at a nice pace helped get the gas out the shoulder..gas x tum did nuthing for me. just a tip, make sure you stay hydrated when you start your mushies and soft foods. i fell off on my liquids and let's just say me and the bathroom were not BFF's! Constipation city!!!!!ouch!!!

just know that's it's gonna get better hun and it's sooooo worth it in the end. *sending cyber hugs***

I had the same issue and was told this would be the worst discomfort.. yep. I found sleeping with a heating pad helped soooooooo much and sleeping proped up. Plus the pain meds helped and I stayed on top of the dose. Hope it gets better and when it does you will no longer regret getting this done, BEST decision I ever made, I am a month and 1/2 post op and down 27lb. Feel Better girl!

Never in my life did i think that this whole Lap Band thing would be so bad........ it sucks! i have never been in so much pain and discomfort, but i am trying to find the positive in this but it is just so hard. i hope it works as well as they say today is 6/8/11 and it has only been 7 days since my surgery and i still have the worst GAS pain ever. in the back of my mind i kind of wish i would have never got this done......PLEASE HELP! anyone with tips or advice please let me know because i need help all i want to do is cry.

I am also 7 days post-op and it has been rough for me. I also have cried, screamed, and yelled that if I knew it was going to be like this I sure wouldn't have had it done and I could have found something else to spend our $10k on.

But... When I calm myself down and think about it with a clear head. I realize I haven't bounced back as quickly as people told me I would. I have healed little by little each day. I haven't been able to get my Protein shakes in and all the other things my Dr wants me to do. I have been lucky to get in 16 oz of Water and a little bit of full liquids of some sort. Take it one day at a time. We will get there. I will be your support since I know how you feel. The gas hurts like a sob, we're tired of being in pain, and all we want is some freakin normalcy back in our lives. And how will we get that? CLAIM IT. Even if it's one thing. Yesterday I layed claim to the fact that nothing else may get done but I was going to sit down at the table and have dinner with my husband and then get a shower. That was all that got done by me all day yesterday and that is OKAY! :D

So for the gas pains, maybe starting out with a warm shower tomorrow morning, gentle stretching techniques (like windmills) with your arms, use your incentive spirometer, walking a little bit further than you did today, and roll your shoulders back and forth. Little steps and we'll eventually get to where we need to be.

This is like a really bad sunburn. We're miserable while we have it but once we start to get better little by little each day and the burning stops we forget about the level of the pain we were in at the beginning of the burn.

There should be a chart or scale or something on the children's tylenol package that says how much to give per weight of the child. Use that to figure out the correct dose for your weight. Or ask the pharmacist at a drugstore to help you figure out the appropriate dosage.

They make adult dosage tylenol in liquid form-- I got mine at Walmart. I'm assuming your doc is suggesting children's tylenol because it's liquid, but they do make "regular" tylenol as well.

I had the same issues - I am 2 weeks post op-

what worked for me

Phazyme worked better for me than gas ex - 2 small red pills

Hot Showers - 5 or 6 times a day helped

Hot heating pad

Walking in the house - it's 100 degrees outside here

rolling on the bed - left and right slowly - the gas just rolled around but at least it was moving

Some crying and a pity party helped too!

I went back to work monday - it's been interesting trying to figure out what to eat at a hospital cafeteria

Your Dr. Should have prescribed liquid Hydrocodone. A real pharmacy that does compounds can do this for you. It tastes nasty, but it will put you right to sleep. I slept in my recliner for 4 nights before I used the bed. I have a high tolerance for pain, and my worst paid was my butt from sleeping in the stupid recliner.

Make sure you walk... I took fairly long walks with the wife every day, sometimes 2 times a day.