Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ya i went in for my second fill today actually and have lost a total of 45 pounds but my problem is i lost this on my own not because of the band which is what really frustrates me ive failed numerous times with dieting and exercise thats the whole reason i went to get the surgery i know i can diet and exercise i just need the extra help

Just my observations... and if you're specifically seeking posts to help you feel better you may want to read the next paragraph & then stop.

Good = With the help of my band, I went from a BMI of about 56 to about 34. That's something like a starting weight of 385 lbs to a low weight of 225, give or take a few pounds in either direction. That's also about 9 clothing sizes. And the majority of that happened in the first 18 months. (I maintained 250 for about a year and a half before I finally started dropping again).

Bad = Most banded people I know are 5+ years out. These are people from my surgeon's support group, people I've met in person from the "local" section of messageboards, people I've coincidentally run into, etc. I'm not even talking about people I know virtually. Most of them -- and by "most" I'd estimate it around 85% -- have had their bands removed, or are showing some questionable symptoms.

The more time passes, the less & less the band, statistically speaking, looks like a viable long term option.

Do keep in mind that this is a support forum, so it naturally draws a large population of people who have, or suspect they have, some kind of problem and are looking for quick answers. You find a much higher concentration of people with problems here, than you do in the general banded public. I compare it to product reviews. Most people who leave product reviews are people who have had problems with the product. Average Joe user who never experiences a problem usually has no motivation to leave a review.

ya i went in for my second fill today actually and have lost a total of 45 pounds but my problem is i lost this on my own not because of the band which is what really frustrates me ive failed numerous times with dieting and exercise thats the whole reason i went to get the surgery i know i can diet and exercise i just need the extra help

MJ, I have a question, if you have the band - then on some level you did lose weight because of the tools that you are using - and 1 of those tools is the band. Yes, maybe you weren't at your "sweet spot", but - still you are banded so therefore the band was on some level a help.

I have a friend who was banded MANY years ago and has lost weight, maintained it and has had no issues.

My band is now 15 months old... and hasn't given me any issues. I've gotten stuck a couple times, but I knew when it was going to happen. Stupid soft pretzels lured me in and dared me to eat them. meat not chewed well enough... but within an hour the stuck is fixed. pineapple juice has enzymes in it that help break stuff down if you ever get stuck with Protein.

Chin up, man! I've lost 120 pounds, and I haven't worked at it. Heck, the closest I've gotten to working out is going down to pay for my annual gym membership in January. :/

I'm still new (banded 13 April 2011) and due for my second fill next week. I keep coming here to read and check that I am normal - emotions, bodily movements, lack of restriction 9so far!) etc.

Good luck

I'm a success!!! Type 2 diabetes is GONE! Went from a size 16 to a size 6 - feels amazing!

Protein Protein PROTEIN - I feel very blessed to be one of the few that did not have to work hard at this. Try not to get discouraged - LapBand works!

Next to having my knees replaced. It's the best thing I have ever had surgery for, and done.

I think everyone freaks out in the beginning... I though for sure my band had come undone after surgery. I could eat steak with ease! Turns out, there just wasn't any Fluid in the band.... yet! Funny things happen, and it seems that nobody has the exact same experiences.

Just remember to follow the rules! I've lost a LOT of weight, but there are several people that go in for fills as often as I did.... but they were sometimes getting unfilled. Watch your calorie count. You did all of this for a reason!

so ive been reading this for some time now, and wish i would of read( the post op part of it) before my surgery, because if i had i would of never went through with the lap band it seems everyone on here either has some major complication or just doesnt loose weight. im starting to think the sleeve is probably more effective its depressing to see everyone have so many problems and struggles including myself it would just be nice to see all success stories thats the whole point of the operation. just my thoughts im new to posting on here but reading more and more troubled people i figured i would sign up and vent my disappointment

I know this is a hard adjustment and they are looking more into the sleeve. As with anything there are complications and difficulties, we all struggle at times. Unfortunately this is the problem with support groups, a lot of people discussing their troubles, looking for support, can mislead others into thinking there are a lot more problems than its worth.

I had my surgery a year and a half ago, i did great through the first year, lost 115 pounds. Since January I have been struggling, up and down the same 3-5 pounds. I could say Im having problems butwhen I really looked at it, Its not a banding problem, its a motivation problem. I am doing this to myself, i absolutely know the rules and I chose to break them and the penalty for that was me making myself sick, not feeling well, and not losing the last few pounds.

We all rely on eachother and our surgeons for support but you have to take ownership of it as well. I am solely responsible for what I eat, how much I exercise and if and when I cheat. If i choose to lie to myself or anyone else about it then this was all for nothing.

Look at everything we all had to go through just to get the band put in- none of us are weak or quitters- keep working and be honest about it and you'll get there

You had your KNEES replaced? Oh my, you poor thing!

Next to having my knees replaced. It's the best thing I have ever had surgery for, and done.

I've had problems, but they were because of a surgeon who had his head to far up his rear to listen to me. That being said, I ended up losing 122lbs in a year, having my fertility return and getting knocked up! It took us almost 2 yrs of weight-related fertility problems to conceive my daughter. After losing weight, it happened almost immediately. I like to consider myself a success story.

I am, also, a success. I have lost all of my excess weight and am healthier than I have been in 35 years. I can wear cute clothes, again. I can buy them at regular stores and not try them on. Before loosing the weight, I bought at Lane Bryant catalog, and then worried that the clothes would be too tight. I have not had the easiest time, but loosing weight is not for the weak. It takes won't power(I won't eat that!). There is NO magic potion. Not banding, gastric bypass or sleeve. The surgeries, which ever you choose are tools to help you loose weight. How successful you are is up to YOU! Good luck. Karen

PS:My stats=start 244/size 22w, current 140/size 8. BMI=was 43/currently 24.8

You had your KNEES replaced? Oh my, you poor thing!

It's a very good thing ! really! I walk unassisted, I am pain free, but,, I will never run again, or walk fast.

They are Titanium, like hinges that open and close. So they have one set speed. S l o o o w !

But I walk around the block 3x a week, in about 20-25 minutes.

Plus all around the stores.

Shirley.

I've had problems, but they were because of a surgeon who had his head to far up his rear to listen to me. That being said, I ended up losing 122lbs in a year, having my fertility return and getting knocked up! It took us almost 2 yrs of weight-related fertility problems to conceive my daughter. After losing weight, it happened almost immediately. I like to consider myself a success story.

Talk about turning your whole life around. Thumbs up.

That is a success story.

Congrats on the birth of your Daughter.