Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so ive been reading this for some time now, and wish i would of read( the post op part of it) before my surgery, because if i had i would of never went through with the lap band it seems everyone on here either has some major complication or just doesnt loose weight. im starting to think the sleeve is probably more effective its depressing to see everyone have so many problems and struggles including myself it would just be nice to see all success stories thats the whole point of the operation. just my thoughts im new to posting on here but reading more and more troubled people i figured i would sign up and vent my disappointment

The problem with reading support boards is that the people posting (for the most part--definitely not all) are having problems and need to vent or ask advice. That's why it's a support board. For every person posting something negative, there are many more who are happy. Because they are happy, they have no need to post here (unless they are super excited about something happening to them). Don't go by what is posted here. Go to a support group. My surgeon requires every potential patient to attend at least one. My current surgeon (I moved several months after surgery) highly encourages everyone to attend support groups. Take a look at the pictures. You will see many success stories but rest assured, this is no easy task. You still have to eat right and exercise. If you have eating issues, you will have to take care of that yourself and learn how to eat right. Seeing a therapist and a nutritionist is good idea. Please don't go by what you read here. This represents only a small amount of lap band patients.

hello

I feel I had good results. 5 months now and down 50 pounds. yeah I get the the stuck episodes but it is my fault for not chewing slowly n eatting way to fast. I started out 22/24 n now im in a 16. All blood pressure problems are gone n I am happy as a clam ;)

Sure I wish I coulld do better n read other ppl n see they are doing alot more but this is our own journey n each one of us is diffrent.

Good luck

There are plenty of success stories out there. Keep in mind that when we have been banded for awhile and nothing is going wrong, there isn't much reason to post. This forum is a great place for people who are having an issue to post a problem and get help from fellow bandsters. There are plenty of success threads here. Look for them. There are also several threads just like this one where people are put off by all the complications they read here and want to hear some success.

In my own case, I was banded almost 2 years ago. I have not had complications. I dropped 100 pounds in the first year and have not "worked" at it one bit. I don't think it's hard work at all. This is the easiest weightloss of my life.

I do believe the band is sort of "magic" because I have put in very little effort. People who are working hard don't like to hear this. There could be band complications in my future, but for now I'm not going to dwell on that. I am glad this forum is here so I can talk to other bandsters when and if those complications happen.

Your lapband journey can be a good one, so try to focus on that and not other's complications :)

Reading the complications can keep us aware, but please don't let it get you down.

Have had my band a year and have had no problems. As long as I work with my band and not against it everything works fine. If I overeat I gain, if I eat right and exercise I lose. No, it's not rocket science- bur it works for me. I have maintained an 80+ lb weight loss since Feb and have gone from a size 22 to a loose 12, and I am going in for my TT next month.

Have I read about problems people have had? Of course I have- bur aside from slips many of the problems are subjective. People tend not to post when things are going well, but rather they post when something is going wrong. I had 1 overfi- my fault not my dr. Did it suck? You bet it did, but all is good now.

The experience is what you make it - I choose to have my experience be a positive one

I consider myself a very successful bandster...I had surgery 6 months ago and have lost 84 lbs. As others have said, most of the posts on here are from people who need help or have questions so don't base your opinion on that...it's the nature if the forum. For some good success stories, check out some blogs...I would suggest Lapband Gal, Chronicles from Band Land and Once Upon A Time in the Land of cheese and Sunkist. All three of these ladies have had wonderful success with their bands and are very inspirational.

I don't see it that way at all!

Just the usual post-op aches and pains, but nothing I would call major. No different from any other kind of major surgery.

Many people expect that once they hve the surgery the pounds will begin to fall off the next day. Th first month is not about loosing weight. It is about healing and getting to the point where you can begin to function normally again.

If you drop some pounds from the post-op diet, so be it. If you don't, or if you still feel hungry, so what?

Think of it this way. You had surgery, they put something in your body, but it isn't turned on yet. You have to wait and heal, then the Dr. will activate it by starting the fill process.

I was very discouraged the first few months. Showing up for my appointment with my Surgeon, getting on the scale and showing little or no weight loss, my mentality was that of being on one of those diet programs where I felt I would be chastised for non performance.

The Surgeon laughed at me and said if you had lost weight, you wouldn't need to be here for a fill.

That's why it's so important to do all of your research before surgery! You need to know what you're in for before you decide to have a choke collar placed around a part of your anatomy ;)

If you go onto the sleeve board you will find some negative posts there too. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

You have the band what you need to do now is work with it. It is a tool to help you lose weight , it is not a magic wand that will do it all for you.

My 3 year bandiversary is tomorrow and I have no serious complications (knock on wood), I've had great success and couldn't be happier about my decision. It's alot of work and you have to stay dedicated to it. Don't dwell on the "what ifs". Just follow your doctor's instructions and you'll do fine!

mj23, you must be down because you are going through a hard time. Life is not one success story after another, it's a little of everything. I personally am going through a rough period, but I still consider my band journey to be successful because I have lost almost 54 pounds so far. I eat more slowly, I eat less, and I eat fewer unhealthy things (they aren't gone completely). So I think the band will help me maintain a healthy weight once I get there.

As much as I still HATE to admit it, I feel better and I lose weight more consistently when I exercise. I realized that walking daily, even if it is for a shorter time than a "real" workout, is necessary to keeping my knees from hurting on my down time. So it's something I will have to commit to forever if I want to feel my best.

I hope your journey changes for the better. welldoneclap.gif

MJ,

I am not having any problems at all! As with most forums, you will naturally get more questions and complaints on the board but it does not comprise a complete picture of how all bansters feel.

My weight loss thus far has been slow, but I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

I was banded last August. I have only had one minor set back and that was from having my band too full. I started at 227 and I now weigh 163. I'm almost at my goal and I highly recommend the band.

I know 3 others who have it. They have each lost over 150 pounds and kept it off. They have been banded for almost 5 years now.

Just do what your doctor says and you will have great results!!

thanks for all the comments everyone, i guess i will just have to see a year from now how things are going

so ive been reading this for some time now, and wish i would of read( the post op part of it) before my surgery, because if i had i would of never went through with the lap band it seems everyone on here either has some major complication or just doesnt loose weight. im starting to think the sleeve is probably more effective its depressing to see everyone have so many problems and struggles including myself it would just be nice to see all success stories thats the whole point of the operation. just my thoughts im new to posting on here but reading more and more troubled people i figured i would sign up and vent my disappointment

I have had ZERO complications. Today is my six month surgery anniversary date and I have lost 75 pounds (only 47 left to go). I have no Fluid in my band and have never had a fill. I don't feel like a need a fill.

I will say this... I don't think my success is solely related to my band. I feel that the combination of long-term intensive therapy along with the band have made this journey very easy for me.

Why not go and read the success stories thread? Or even the "Who has lost 100 pounds?" thread. There are many ways to get inspiration here on this forum.

You can do this. You've got what you need to make it happen. If you need some sort of therapy - consider www.foodaddictsanonymous.org - that program helped me a lot too.

Best wishes!