Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been battling my weight for the past 20 years. I was going to have the surgery last year and I changed my mind a few days before the surgery. I lost about 45 pounds of weight prior to my surgery and I am back to my heavy weight again 292 and I am 5’ 10”. One of my largest fears is that I will never be able to eat again. I am a person who loves to cook , loves to have dinner parties and the company of my friends and family. I am not a drinker or a smoker, but food has always been the way that I celebrated life. I just turned 48 on June 6th and I know the way to eat I just can’t seem to control the amounts that I do eat. I have a very loving and supportive partner and I know he will be there for me no matter what, but I have a hard time with control. I started back on my diet on my Birthday and I have been doing Protein shakes for lunch and Breakfast, but I have trouble at night when I get home from work I am hungry and I know I am eating more than I should. Last night I made a giant vegetable salad and a grain salad to have for when I get home instead of eating non healthy food.

Also I have noted that most of the people on this site are woman and I was wondering if there were any men that I have lap band surgery. Nothing against you ladies, but are bodies are different and I wanted to get a man’s opinion as to lap band surgery and their issues and success. I look forward to hearing from everyone and look forward to making some friends, building support through this website and continue building that friendship through life experience. Frank

O.K. So you love your food, and are probably addicted to it like a Drinker or Smoker.

The Good part is you will eat again, just not Groves of it. You will learn to eat sensibly,

and as long as you chew your food up well, you won't have a problem.

Now the Smoker, or Drinker,,, If they have 1 or 2 there back in the Soup all over again.

You won't have that problem. You will eat 3 times a day, and some times snack.< /p>

You will keep a journal so that you don't go over 1800 calories for a man I believe !

Your surgeon will tell you how much, but that is a lot of food ! ! !

Go to myfitnesspal.com and sign up. It's free.. You type in your food., It looks it up.

and bang there are your Breakfast calories. It adds all meals up for calories and Protein.

Also log your exercise on it. It will do all your calculations for you.

Trust me,,, you will definitely eat ! Just remember to chew...

Good Health to you, Shirley..

Frank,

I'm also a Foodie! I love to cook, bake and entertain. I was worried that I would lose some enjoyment from these activities with the band... but it really hasn't been a problem. Now to be honest, it was tough being at events and parties those first few weeks when I was still on liquids and mushies, but after that I've not felt deprived.

In fact, I find that I enjoy parties/picnics, etc. even more when I'm not so focused on how much food I can devour. I can instead simply enjoy friends and family. If there is an "amazing" food that everyone is going crazy over, I allow myself a small taste.

It's really not bad... and so totally worth it as you start feeling and looking better.

Good luck to you. (And sorry I'm not able to provide a guy's perspective.)

There are some guys who participate in LBT but they aren't quite as vocal as the girls...you might want to try posting in "The Men's Room" forum in the Lap Band Support Groups section of LBT. One person you should definately seek out is Dave_W...he was banded around the same time I was (December 2010) and is doing extremely well with his weight loss.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the good words and advice. I am doing a lot of reading this time and I know that I am addicted to food. I know that this will be a life change and I know it will be hard, but it is something I need to do. I know that if I do not have it done I will continue to battle an not get healthy. I have really been trying my best the last couple of days to get on track and stay focus. I have been drinking Slim Fast High Protein Low Carb drink for breakfast and lunch then having a regular meal for dinner.< /p>

HI Frank,

My story is identical to yours ! My partner and I have been together for over 20 years and we both love to cook, entertain and most of all EAT ! I had my lap band surgery on May 9th and have lost over 40 pounds and get my first fill this coming Monday.

All your concerns are in fact legitimate ones..... I do not regret having the surgery because I know that I would be even heavier than what I was before I started this and nothing tastes as good as being able to live my life without serious medical problems or even DEATH ! I love myself and my life with my partner MORE !

We still cook and entertain and that will never change. The only change is that I will eat less and I guarantee you what you do eat will not only fill you up but will also satisfy you and the hunger.

I know it's not for everyone and believe me I had my doubts but I am so HAPPY I did this.

Hope this helps and good luck to you !

Chuck

Frank Foodie here banded almost 3 years ago same height and weight as you at the start of this.

Here is the thing with me - my relationship with food has only improvhed with the band, if that makes sense. I eat what I want - just not in huge volumes. With the added benefit of actually eating slow enough to taste what I am eating. Any therefore enjoy it And without any remorse

It's a mindset change buut you can be a band foodie!

Dennis

Frank,

The advice I can give you is to make sure you don't have a serious addiction to food before getting the band. If it is good food and drink that you enjoy the band will force you to eat smaller amounts, however, if you eat because it is an absolute necessity to eat then it is to your advantage to have his addressed before you get banded, otherwise you will have problems.

Your fear of "never be able to eat again" is a yes and no. There will be some foods that you won't be able to tolerate anymore and you may not be able to enjoy some of these foods with your guests. On the other side of the coin, all bandsters are different. You may be one of the lucky ones that can eat just about everything you did before, just much less of it. It is a hit and miss type of thing and you won't know til you are banded.

My biggest problem was night eating, which pre-band I was terrified that I would not be able to combat this behavior. The band, when properly adjusted keeps physical hunger satisfied for 4-6 hours before your next meal. If I do eat between meals it is just mental hunger and that's where you have to be sure that food addiction is not the problem. I tend to eat supper about 6-7pm and was able to conquer the night eating and no more bologna sandwiches at 2-3 in the morning. :-( lol

I can't over emphasize that a banded person experiences a HUGE change in the way you will eat and what you eat. Being banded is a life changing experience and you must work with it daily. I'm not trying to scare you, but, I also love good food and drink and it took some adjusting and hard knocks to get where I am today. My biggest advice is that you sit down and really examine why you want to do this and are you really willing and dedicated to making this life change. Be sure that your partner also understands the life change that will occur. It is very important that you have the support and understanding of your other half.

This is the best thing that I've ever done for myself, but, it has been a learning and life changing experience. As long as you understand that it is not as easy as it sounds and that it takes work and that you must be dedicated to this, then you will succeed! I wish you all the best and am willing to help you with any questions. Jake

I want to thank everyone for all of the messages and sharing with me your life experiences. I am looking at everything in a positive way and I am doing this for the right reasons my health. I started my diet on my birthday and I will be going to see the surgeon on July 8th to see what test I need to redo since it has been 9 months since the last time I was going to attempt this. I think one of the things that I am taking from what people have had to say is this is a life style not a sentence. I know there are things I will not be able to eat anymore and that I will have to reduce what I am eating, but I know that this is what needs to be done. I greatly appreciate all the support that everyone has given me and I look forward to going through this will all of you my lap band family.

re: "One of my largest fears is that I will never be able to eat again."

great topic to discuss!!!

The reality for me was WAY better than anything I imagined it could be: I _CAN_ still eat nearly anything I choose.

A huge improvement is, my belly is no longer in charge of "how much".

Also, my palette changed, along with my relationship with eating. No longer are social occasions events **just for ME to OVER eat**. And the fact postOp I enjoy eating more than before.....the meaningful difference here is, a bite or 2, or a 1/2 cup or cupful, is plenty to satisfy.

The compulsive repetitive and continual OVER eating for me is pretty well gone. I can still go to the Steak House and get a meal. I just don't care for the onion blossom, 3 courses of appetizers, Soup, fries, a 20 ozer, and desert. While I might eat all of that, it would pretty much take most of the week to do such.

The phrase "eat to live" no longer identifies my eating behavior. "Live to eat" is far more satisfying.

cheers on your journey....

NOTHING tastes as good a being slimmer, healthier, and happier.

Frank, I'm the guy Vickyd referred to in her post. (Thanks, Vicky!) I was banded six months ago, and I've lost over 90 pounds. I've worked my tail off to do things in a way that works best for me, and I have zero regrets. Banding was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family. I'm wearing clothes in sizes I never expected to wear again, and I weigh less than I did fifteen years ago. I'm just completing a week of hiking in Glacier National Park, doing outdoor things I'd long ago given up. The RN who does my fills laughs that if there was a poster boy for banding, I'd be that guy. It's been an amazing journey, and I'm delighted to have my life back.

As others here have said, banding changes your outlook on food. I approach meals now with an idea that eating is something I look forward to, not as a way to gorge myself to the point of misery, but to make smart choices of what to eat, and how much. I actually taste my food now, and I savor the flavors, because I'm able to enjoy the food itself, not shovel down a plateful of whatever, while I'm keeping an eye on the dessert table. It's great to be able to relax and socialize with friends at the table, and not let the food be the only reason I'm there.

Have the surgery. Once you get adjusted to living with a band, you'll see there is no turning back. Your family and friends will still love you, you'll be better for the experience, and once the weight is gone, you'll wonder what was holding you back. The only regret I have about this surgery is the years I wasted waiting to make up my mind.

Send me a PM if you want to take things offline. I'll be happy to share things privately in more detail.

Good luck!

Dave

The greatest thing about this surgery for "foodies" and people who like to cook is that you can still do it-- AND, because the quantities are so much less, you can afford really top quality ingredients all of the time. My husband and I probably spend the same amount on food now as we did before, but only because we buy better quality food that costs more. Let's just say I've developed a serious cheese addiction (protein!) and leave it at that. For people who love to cook who are also not super wealthy, the band is easy.

You won't know what your "no more" foods are until you're banded, unfortunately. I am lucky in that I can tolerate everything (except flaxseed flat bread crackers, but oh well for that). Some things I have to be more careful with than others and make sure I chew, but nothing is off limits because of the band. My limits are self-imposed and have to do with my own trigger foods (carbs carbs carbs- I'm a woman). But we still go out to really nice restaurants and cook good meals at home and the biggest thing that's changed for me is that I can still enjoy food without binging on it.

You will still enjoy food, but it no longer will be the center of your life.

That describes me perfectly. I hardly think about food anymore - I'm never hungry. I eat a little and I'm perfectly satisfied.

Everyone has been so supportive I am starting to feel like this will become part of my family. So far everyone has been positive and I know this is tough forvall of us to go through. For those of you that have been based applaud you ando thanks for the support and guidance you are giving us future banders.