Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PREOP Liquid Diet questions

I just found out that I was approved for LapBand surgery yesterday. I am excited, I'm nervous, I'm anxious, I'm happy, so many different things are going on! I don't have a surgery date yet, but it looks like my office is booking into late July.

Some questions:

My office requires a two week liquid diet that I am dreading. I supposed it gets better as the days go on. Are there any helpful tips from anyone that is on the liquid diet to make it less... annoying? I know it is necessary for my liver to shrink and for me to be in the best shape I can be by surgery, so I guess that's a plus.

I am 270 lbs. If I consume 800-1000 calories a day (which is required) how much can I anticipate to lose in 2 weeks? My BMI is 40.2 and I am a woman, which I'm sure will have an effect on my progress.

I go out to eat and for drinks (coffee or alcohol) with my friends a lot. Of course I will not be consuming alcohol or huge meals, but how do I deal with social gatherings while on the liquid diet?

I'm sure I'll htink of my questions later. If you had to do a two week liquid diet before your lap band surgery and are around my weight, please share your experience with me! Thanks :)

I just found out that I was approved for LapBand surgery yesterday. I am excited, I'm nervous, I'm anxious, I'm happy, so many different things are going on! I don't have a surgery date yet, but it looks like my office is booking into late July.

Some questions:

My office requires a two week liquid diet that I am dreading. I supposed it gets better as the days go on. Are there any helpful tips from anyone that is on the liquid diet to make it less... annoying? I know it is necessary for my liver to shrink and for me to be in the best shape I can be by surgery, so I guess that's a plus.

I am 270 lbs. If I consume 800-1000 calories a day (which is required) how much can I anticipate to lose in 2 weeks? My BMI is 40.2 and I am a woman, which I'm sure will have an effect on my progress.

I go out to eat and for drinks (coffee or alcohol) with my friends a lot. Of course I will not be consuming alcohol or huge meals, but how do I deal with social gatherings while on the liquid diet?

I'm sure I'll htink of my questions later. If you had to do a two week liquid diet before your lap band surgery and are around my weight, please share your experience with me! Thanks :)

I do not kow as I am not there yet, BUT they want your liver to be soft and pliable to move it out of the way, you must stop all alcohol as it produces the liver to become stiff,, this is a major life change, be weeks before you can drink again.

I sound pretty identical to you! I actually am on day 6 of my liquid diet. My surgery is scheduled for June 16th.

I go out ALLLLL of the time and thought this would be the end of the world for me, but it really hasn't been that bad. My friends are really supportive, so this does help tremendously I'm sure.

I have been drinking three Protein shakes a day, which fill me up and I haven't been all that hungry. I also drink lots of Water with the crystal light and sugar free Hawaiian Punch packets in them. They help to add something a little different to the mix. I went out with friends both Friday and Saturday night and drank Diet Sprite the first and pretended like it was a mixed drink....lol. The second night, I drank Water with lemon and pretended it was a Vodka Tonic.....haha. I have always been a pretty big social drinker so this is a huge change for me.

The only problem I have had so far is with my "bathroom habits." I guess when you don't eat like normal, you are as regular as normal. They are better now though. Feel free to email me with any questions you have or anything. My email is leanel_01@yahoo.com. I'm just getting started too and need all the information I can get. I have been talking to a lot of people so I might can answer some questions.

I am two weeks post-op and feel fantastic! My best advice to everyone is to live a very health lifestyle as soon as you make the decision to have the band. It will help so much with recovery and your life as a bandster!! I lost 50 lbs before my surgery date and did a 5K race 2 days before being banded. The pre-op diet is to shrink your liver. I lost 4.5 lbs on it but I had been dieting for 7 months before my surgery and lost a total of 52.2. Your total weight loss on the pre-op diet could fall in a wide range. I think people who have not really dieted up until the first day of the pre-op diet probably loose the most as it is a big adjustment to the body. I was allowed Protein Shakes, fruits and veggies. However, it was not enough for me due to my exercise. I spoke with my DR and NI and they said I could add healthy low fat, high Protein choices to my diet. (Egg beaters, low fat cottage cheese, etc). My DR was very pleased when he opened me up. He said my liver and everything inside could not have looked better. The diet prepares you for the post-op phase of your new banded life. Don't dread it...just work with as best as you can. This is your the first day of a new and fantastic life! Good luck!

The best suggestions I can give you is to start testing Protein drinks now so that you can find some that you like - too many people wait until they start the pre-op diet and then post that they are starving and can't stand the Protein Drinks. Also, find a variety of flavors...drinking chocolate Protein powder multiple times a day can get old really fast. There are Protein powders that are lemonade flavored (Syntax Nector) that would provide a nice break to the vanilla & chocolate of most drinks. Also try some unflavored powder mixed in crystal light for variety. There are also some things you can add to your Protein shakes to change the flavors...sugar free syrups (like what they use at Starbucks) work well and I also mixed instant Decaf coffee into my morning chocolate shake to make it taste like a mocha.

For social gatherings, at a coffee shop you can have coffee or tea with skim milk (just not the high calorie starbucks drinks) and if you go out for drinks just order a club soda with lemon or lime...it looks like a mixed drink and no one will question it.

Last but not least, when you start your pre-op diet remember that it is not forever...you can do anything for a short period of time and the results are certainly worth it - not only will you lose some weight (I lost about 11 lbs) but also you will be helping to shrink your liver which will make your surgery safer.

The best suggestions I can give you is to start testing Protein drinks now so that you can find some that you like - too many people wait until they start the pre-op diet and then post that they are starving and can't stand the Protein Drinks. Also, find a variety of flavors...drinking chocolate Protein Powder multiple times a day can get old really fast. There are Protein powders that are lemonade flavored (Syntax Nector) that would provide a nice break to the vanilla & chocolate of most drinks. Also try some unflavored powder mixed in crystal light for variety. There are also some things you can add to your protein shakes to change the flavors...sugar free syrups (like what they use at Starbucks) work well and I also mixed instant Decaf coffee into my morning chocolate shake to make it taste like a mocha.

For social gatherings, at a coffee shop you can have coffee or tea with skim milk (just not the high calorie starbucks drinks) and if you go out for drinks just order a club soda with lemon or lime...it looks like a mixed drink and no one will question it.

Last but not least, when you start your pre-op diet remember that it is not forever...you can do anything for a short period of time and the results are certainly worth it - not only will you lose some weight (I lost about 11 lbs) but also you will be helping to shrink your liver which will make your surgery safer.

Great advice, I am so happy you mentioned the instant decaf coffee mix. One of the hardest things I'll have to give up is coffee. Having a mocha flavored mix will help ease me into the liquid diet phase. Congrats on your WLS success!

I sound pretty identical to you! I actually am on day 6 of my liquid diet. My surgery is scheduled for June 16th.

I go out ALLLLL of the time and thought this would be the end of the world for me, but it really hasn't been that bad. My friends are really supportive, so this does help tremendously I'm sure.

I have been drinking three Protein shakes a day, which fill me up and I haven't been all that hungry. I also drink lots of Water with the crystal light and sugar free Hawaiian Punch packets in them. They help to add something a little different to the mix. I went out with friends both Friday and Saturday night and drank Diet Sprite the first and pretended like it was a mixed drink....lol. The second night, I drank Water with lemon and pretended it was a Vodka Tonic.....haha. I have always been a pretty big social drinker so this is a huge change for me.

The only problem I have had so far is with my "bathroom habits." I guess when you don't eat like normal, you are as regular as normal. They are better now though. Feel free to email me with any questions you have or anything. My email is leanel_01@yahoo.com. I'm just getting started too and need all the information I can get. I have been talking to a lot of people so I might can answer some questions.

Those alcoholic drink alternatives sound really good. I'm not a heavy drinker, but if I go out to a bar I certainly don't want to be sipping on tap water lol. I'm glad to hear it hasn't been that bad for you! I hope I'm just as lucky. I'm glad you mentioned the bathroom habits, as unglamorous as it may seem haha. I am not regular in that department and am looking forward to some regularity on the liquid diet.< /p>

hi...I am now into my day 12 of the liquid pre-op..my surgery is this thurs June 9th..

It has not been so bad at all...

for Protein drinks - I have been drinking muscle milk light and unjury products- pretty good..

also Isopure fruit punch has 15 grams of Protein - as well as Gelatin 20 - a high protein sf Jello

I have one salad a day - and heat up Spicy V** as Soup...

I'm sure you've read this but be careful comparing weight loss amounts to others. Everyone is different with their genetics, activity level and eating. Make sure you drink your Protein Shakes and if you're thinking of cheating, get busy doing something else! Try to stay as busy as possible during that time and you'll be fine. It's very important to follow the rules and it will make your post op go much better. Try not to get the last supper syndrome, it won't be your last meal. My best friends know about the surgery so they were great about us going out and I'd just get ice Water. Pretend it's vodka :) Make sure you know whether you can have caffeine or coffee at all. I was not allowed either so I opted for sugar free, Decaf tea. Try different sugar alternatives to see what you like. I personally like truvia, it's very sweet and doesn't taste like chemicals like equal does (to me at least).

Helener, good luck with your surgery! I'm happy to know it wasn't so bad for you.

Papillion Princess, thanks for the advice. I haven't told many of my friends about the surgery because I don't want to hear anything negative about surgery. I am sure some of them would be supportive, but others not so much. Congrats on your success!

Hi Crash,

I'm also getting banded in July and have all the same worries and feeling as you! If you want, email me at potukmail@gmail.com and maybe we can help each other.

For others more experienced, I am wondering where I buy these products that were mentioned...I have no idea where to get this stuff.

Shauna

Helener, good luck with your surgery! I'm happy to know it wasn't so bad for you.

Papillion Princess, thanks for the advice. I haven't told many of my friends about the surgery because I don't want to hear anything negative about surgery. I am sure some of them would be supportive, but others not so much. Congrats on your success!

Some questions:

Visalus shakes are all the nutrition and low cal and low carbs but with great taste....I'd be happy to get you a phone number to my friend that sells it....she can answer any questions and it was approved by my doctor's office and the hospital. It is very good!!

Hi Crash,

I'm also getting banded in July and have all the same worries and feeling as you! If you want, email me at potukmail@gmail.com and maybe we can help each other.

For others more experienced, I am wondering where I buy these products that were mentioned...I have no idea where to get this stuff.

Shauna

My email is kissarmy914@yahoo.com and I can get you in touch with my friend who sells Visalus and it was approved by my doctor's office and the hospital on it's awesome nutrition and best of all, the taste. Let me know....I am going Mon 6/13 to have my surgery but was not told to do a pre-op diet....I already had the shake mix but am now wondering will I suffer more as I did not do this diet now....guess I will find out soon enough!!

Thanks

Which products are you referring to?

Protein shakes - depends on the brand, I get mine off of walmart.com, I see a lot of people buy powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes on a website and they seem to be popular. Try looking at one of the old threads about Protein Shakes (just search it on here) LOTS of shake ideas will come up and where you can buy.

Crystal light - most grocery stores, once again Walmart, kroger...etc

I'm not sure if there were other products you were wondering about, if you have others, feel free to ask and I'll help you (or someone else will read and help) :)

Shauna