Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what were your emotions the week leading up to surgery

i'm sure most of what i'm feeling is normal as of today my surgery is a week away JUNE 9th i can't believe it.. I have never in my adult life (when i was 4 had my tonsils taken out) had a surgery and am getting more and more nervous as it gets closer. Anyone ever think of the worst happening? I'm trying not to but it is hard.. Just wanting to see what everyone says on this topic. i want to add i am also very excited also.

I was excited, anxious, but very scared. It was my first real surgery and I kept thinking holy crap I could die. Alas fate is just that, and I believe in it. But at the same time I also knew that I could die driving 50 miles to work each day so I got over that emotion quickly. I did cry 5 mins before surgery because my mom started crying (lol!) otherwise it was a good day.

My mom and one of my sisters are very negative they don't like going under anthesthia they are afraid of not waking up, i always thought it was silly. now thats going through my head. But at the same time i am very excited because i am tired of living my life the way i am now (basically not living happy, healthy and being able to do all the things with my family i want to do). glad to hear it's pretty normal.

I have an aunt that is fairly negative about it as well. She has been trying to quite smoking for years so I finally had to ask her, if you could have a fairly minor surgery and have your "smoker" taken out so that there was a good chance you could quite smoking... would you? It hit home with her.

Good luck! I'm pretty nervous. My surgery is on June 20th. Keep us updated on how the surgery goes! :)

ya i keep telling myself don't listen to the negative it isn't a major surgery. I just try to drown out all the negative with positive thoughts. everything is going to be fine and try and think how much better i will feel when i start getting some of this excess weight off. feel free to message me if you want we are getting surgery the same month we can keep each other posted on how we are doing

I'm being banded on June 9th too! Yes, I have thought about the possibilities of something happening but also thought about my new potential leaner/healthier happy life. I actually wrote a letter, NOT a will, a letter to loved ones with final messages expressing just how much I love them. I didn't want any of them regretting supporting me if something happened, I wanted to put their minds at ease. I will have it in my drafts in my phone and titled it something along the lines of "Read ONLY if something has happened to me". I did cry when it came to my Husbands and Mother's messages but am glad it's done.

I didn't tell any of the about it and hope that no one besides myself will EVER read it. BUT it has helped me and been a therapy session I think I needed to help with my anxiety. I am nervous beyond words, excited, scared and so ready!

See you in BandLand June 9th! :D

Hey :) First off, I wasn't scared that I was going to die. In fact, I went in there not sure what was going to happen - nor the risks. I knew the risks for the Band, but that was it. So now I'm a little shocked that I wouldn't have done my homework earlier to find out the possible side effects of anesthesia. Anyway, the week before surgery was crazy for me. I was a wreck...and eating everything in sight. I went to Olive Garde, pizza Hut...I just ate, ate, ate. I didn't have to do the pre-op diet which was a blessing and a curse. I ended up gaining 2 pounds before the surgery. The surgery day was the worst. I never had surgery before and I was absolutely terrified. The worst part was the I.V. for me. After that I just got to lay on a comfy table, get a few shots, talk to a few people and I was on my way. But I was definitely an emotional wreck! Glad it's over and I can continue living my life as post-op.

My surgery is tomorrow June 3rd I'm not sure how I feel. I guess anxious I just want to get it over with. I know I'm not normal. I can't even sleep. I have to get up at 5am tomorrow its now 1115pm n I'm not even sleepy. My nerves n my mind is racing.

A bit excited, but mostly a resentful.. I was mad that I had to get weight loss surgery. Also I was unsure about eating 3 bites of food for the rest of my life (which is totally untrue, at least for me... not sure why they tell you that..) But overall, I was at peace. I knew it was what I had to do. I had given up on everything else.

I'm being banded on June 9th too! Yes, I have thought about the possibilities of something happening but also thought about my new potential leaner/healthier happy life. I actually wrote a letter, NOT a will, a letter to loved ones with final messages expressing just how much I love them. I didn't want any of them regretting supporting me if something happened, I wanted to put their minds at ease. I will have it in my drafts in my phone and titled it something along the lines of "Read ONLY if something has happened to me". I did cry when it came to my Husbands and Mother's messages but am glad it's done.

I didn't tell any of the about it and hope that no one besides myself will EVER read it. BUT it has helped me and been a therapy session I think I needed to help with my anxiety. I am nervous beyond words, excited, scared and so ready!

See you in BandLand June 9th! :D

Hello,

I am being banded on June 9th too. I woke up this morning having second thoughts. I said, "should I do this, I have lost weight hundreds of times before." Then, I realized that is the problem.. I am just afraid.. I know that it will be fine. I would love to stay in touch.. Please let me know how it goes.

Best, Happy2Band

My surgery is tomorrow June 3rd I'm not sure how I feel. I guess anxious I just want to get it over with. I know I'm not normal. I can't even sleep. I have to get up at 5am tomorrow its now 1115pm n I'm not even sleepy. My nerves n my mind is racing.

Its ok to be anxious and nervous - normal reaction to any type of procedure- Just remember one of the reasons you go thru the tests, lab work etc. before surgery is to ensure you are able to go thru the procedure with no issues.. Good luck

i am having my surgery june 10th and im not scared at all. my friend and i were laughing about it earlier becuase i was telling her im excited to go under, its like the best nap ever. plus the loopy medicine they give you before hand, its like the best margarita ever. im excited more than anything to finally start losing weight and keep it off. i wonder if i will get nervous the day before, but i really dont think i will. right now im more concerned about how i will look for surgery. i had to get my highlights redone, manicure/pedicure, and eyebrows threaded so i will look cute for surgery lol.

funny i wrote the same letter to my wife, basically instructions on were to get the life ins, how to pay the bills, I was banded on june 3 ,2011 and all i can say is im starving lol