Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band with Gastric Plication in one surgery

Today I had my second follow-up appointment and the doctor said no fill was necessary, but as I continue to lose stomach fat, a small fill will be needed down the road. I was banded with plication on 4/26/11 and need one more pound to get under the 300 mark. So far I've lost 54 pounds since first consulation. 36 pounds since surgery averaging about 3lbs per week. I look forward to reading your experiences with this procedure.

Fefe butterfly

when u had the lapband put in they filled it with 3.5cc or was it after surgery at your first fill that they put in 3.5cc?I was hoping that the doc wouldn't put any fill until it was necessary. On another forum the person who had it done didn't get a fill and it's been a month or two. Just wondering if different doctors do it differently. This will be a question for my Doc on Tuesday. I hope you are feeling alot better and it's encouraging that you are still happy with

it.

Hello Aliamah1998,

To answer your question about the band fills. My doctor put 4cc in the band during surgery, but since I had complications with inflammation he removed my Fluid. I went a whole month without a band fill. My Surgery was on April 11 and first adjustment wasn't until May 20 of 2cc. Then my last one was on June 10 of 1.5cc. Most times they wont put it all in there at one time and they will step you up as needed. Some people have never had a band fill before. Maybe you should speak to your doctor because the first month, you may not have much of an appetite anyway. Sorry so late. Hope all is well with you on this weight loss journey.

FeFe :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I just went to the information session at Duke and was wondering how you all feel about the band with plication procedure and why you chose this over gastric bypass or the sleeve procedure. If you could share your pro's and con's that would be great. If you could also share which doctor you think is most skilled in this area that would be great also. I am checking out Duke physicians and also Dr Enochs in Cary. Not originally from here so trying to figure out who has the best track record surgery wise. I have heard that many individuals struggle with the band but that the preliminary results for the band with the plication have been promising.

I was also wondering if any of you had to go through the 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean attending weight watchers and checking in with my doc once a month? When they do the plicatino do they use staples or stitches?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I have never had surgery in my life and I'm feeling scared of taking the plunge. That said, I know that I have to do something as I don't want to die from obesity.

Thanks everyone and I hope you are all doing well!

WLSORNOT

Wisornot,

My Doctor is Dr Enochs of Cary and I just love him because of his patience and expertise in bariatric surgery. He Did my Gatric Plication and Lapband Procedure at the same time. The staff at his office is down to earth and you will just love Lisa the Nurse Practitioner.I felt comfortable in their office talking about my weight because they make you feel like a regular person and not some overweight blob. Dr Enochs takes precious time with each person answering all your questions and is very thourough in his presentation. I would definitley recommend Dr Enochs.

I have BCBS of NC so I did not have to go through the six month thing, but they do require 2 years of documented weight and health history from your primary care phycisian. I know they put people that have to go through that on a high Protein low card diet, incorporated the shakes and things.

I had my surgery on April 11 2011 and he applied the seri-strips to cover scars. I apply cocoa butter and other creams on it every day and now the scars are fading.

Getting the surgery is the best thing that i have ever done in my life. After only 2 1/2 months and 45 pounds lost I no longer have to take the diabetes medicine that I was on. I feel great and going to the gym regularly for the first time in my life.

Let me know who you choose for your doctor! I would suggest that you go see both for an initial visit and then make your choice.

Fefe

I had my lapband with plication done at Duke by Dr. Yoo on june 10th. I had my three week check up on friday and I am down 20 pounds. I love the staff there and Dr. Yoo is great. I had 6m of going to my primary dr and discussing all of my weight loss options. It might seem like a long time but you can use that time for research cause there is a lot to learn about this. Everyone's journey is different and their health issues are different from your's. Remember the band is a tool to aid you in your job. There is no magic. Feel free to ask as many questions cause we have all been there.

Theresa

Hi all,

I just went to the information session at Duke and was wondering how you all feel about the band with plication procedure and why you chose this over gastric bypass or the sleeve procedure. If you could share your pro's and con's that would be great. If you could also share which doctor you think is most skilled in this area that would be great also. I am checking out Duke physicians and also Dr Enochs in Cary. Not originally from here so trying to figure out who has the best track record surgery wise. I have heard that many individuals struggle with the band but that the preliminary results for the band with the plication have been promising.

I was also wondering if any of you had to go through the 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean attending weight watchers and checking in with my doc once a month? When they do the plicatino do they use staples or stitches?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I have never had surgery in my life and I'm feeling scared of taking the plunge. That said, I know that I have to do something as I don't want to die from obesity.

Thanks everyone and I hope you are all doing well!

WLSORNOT

Since this is such a new procedure and so few doctors/hospitals are doing it, would those of you who have done it or researched it kindly post which doctors and hospitals you know of are doing it? So far I have heard Duke and possibly NYU?

Thanks much.