Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band with Gastric Plication in one surgery

Hi everyone i would like to introduce myself. My name is Sandy and am new to LapBandTalk. I am considering having 2 procedures done at the same time Lap-Band and

Gastric Plication. Has anyone had this done? If so how are you feeling? How has your progress been? Thank you so much on your input :D

I am scheduled to have Lap band with plication as a primary procedure on Mon Jun 20!

I am scheduled to speak to my doctor (Dr. Fielding NYC) on Jun 28th about the procedure. It's sort of difficult to get information on these 2 procedures being done together. Do you know of anyone who has had the surgery? and if so are they happy? I know a couple of people who have the Lap Band withouth the plication and they are happy. I can't wait to speak to my dr it's driving me crazy......

Keep us posted I'm so happy your journey will be starting soon......

I hadn't even heard of the procedure but at my first consultation - he asked what procedure I wanted. I told him I liked the lapband (less invasive and fewer diet restrictions postop) but the results of Roux N Y were appealing.He suggested the procedure. I too haven't found much posted-but it seems to be increasing in popularity for the past 12 mos or so. My surgeon has done10 of the procedures in the past month alone. I don't know anyone who has personally had procedure though.

I dont want to sound stupid but what is Gastric Plication? I didnt know you were able to do 2 procedure at once.

Gastric plication is when the fold the stomach in and place sutures to hold the fold. The 2 surgeries at the same time is a new procedure it's only been out for about 1-2 yrs. I don't know much besides that. I was hoping members from this forum had it done so they can give me some info. Dr's appt is so far away. And I want to hear from people who have experienced it.......

It is fairly new procedure in US but not so much in Europe (or so I am told). It provides 'similar' weight loss results as the vertical sleeve but without permanently removing part of your stomach. My surgeon says it is intended to provide good initial weight loss, and then the band helps with maintenance. The plication itself (as Aliamah said is just where they fold the stomach and have a few stitches placed) is intended to assist with weight loss, NOT permanent. In fact, my surgeon says 3 years out, the stitches usually come out and stomach returns to original size (which is why lap band is there to assist with maintenance). I initially wanted just the lap band but when I learned of this procedure which combines the dramatic 'initial' results of Roux N Y (without the major surgery) and ability to maintain weight less invasively (Lap Band) I decided to try it.

It is fairly new procedure in US but not so much in Europe (or so I am told). It provides 'similar' weight loss results as the vertical sleeve but without permanently removing part of your stomach. My surgeon says it is intended to provide good initial weight loss, and then the band helps with maintenance. The plication itself (as Aliamah said is just where they fold the stomach and have a few stitches placed) is intended to assist with weight loss, NOT permanent. In fact, my surgeon says 3 years out, the stitches usually come out and stomach returns to original size (which is why lap band is there to assist with maintenance). I initially wanted just the lap band but when I learned of this procedure which combines the dramatic 'initial' results of Roux N Y (without the major surgery) and ability to maintain weight less invasively (Lap Band) I decided to try it.

Yes i heard that in Europe they have been doing it for alot longer. I wish i could find out who was doing the surgery out there so that we could get more info on results and progress. It sucks that the info is not available. The forum dedicated to plication has very few members and not alot of info :(

I'm getting mine done on July 14. Since insurance companies in the U.S. won't pay for it yet, my doctor pretty much only recommends it to self-pay patients--I'm one. He and his staff spoke very highly of it and the fantastic results it produces. I've been dying to hear about some real results from those who have undergone this "combo" operation, but so far have found none... If you guys find anything on it, please share it with everyone else here. Thanks!

Hi everyone i would like to introduce myself. My name is Sandy and am new to LapBandTalk. I am considering having 2 procedures done at the same time Lap-Band and

Gastric Plication. Has anyone had this done? If so how are you feeling? How has your progress been? Thank you so much on your input :D

I am having both done next week on 28June. One of other threads, "lapband or plication surgery?" has responses from two people that have had it done. One had lost 10 lbs the first week, and the other had it done 26Apr and was very happy with the results (48 lbs in 6 weeks with no fill at that point).

janet

I had it done at Duke on June 10th. I am very happy so far I will keep everyone posted as I go but I already feel restriction and it has not even been two weeks.

At the seminiar I attended a couple of weeks ago, the surgeons mentioned plication, briefly. They said it's the first time they had actually started talking about it in the seminar, since they had just started doing them. They said they would talk more about it at the consultation if we were interested. After reading the few stories of those who have it, I would like that too, rather than having to worry with fills too often. HOWEVER.....if my insurance won't cover it, I won't be able to get it anyway. :0(

Hi, is your consultation at NYU? I am going on the 28th for my consultation @ NYU and will let you know what they say. I have Oxford, which insurance do you have? Some previous lapbanders have had to have a revision because of slippage and the doctors have had to do the plication to hold it in place. This is what i gathered from gathering info from diff forums. Also because its a revision the insurance will cover it... im wondering if when the doctor puts the band in and feels the band might slip and he does the plication will it then be covered for first time banding, just a thought.

At the seminiar I attended a couple of weeks ago, the surgeons mentioned plication, briefly. They said it's the first time they had actually started talking about it in the seminar, since they had just started doing them. They said they would talk more about it at the consultation if we were interested. After reading the few stories of those who have it, I would like that too, rather than having to worry with fills too often. HOWEVER.....if my insurance won't cover it, I won't be able to get it anyway. :0(

i am also not a self pay patient and didn't think it would be covered but when they called to say surgery was approved I asked if it was lapband with plication and they said yes...we'll if it's a different story when bills come....

I had it done on April 16 and including the pre op diet, I've lost 51 pounds already. I'm very happy with the results and I didn't need a fill on the 6 week follow up appt