Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein and water requirements

So I am 5 weeks post op and seem to be doing well with keeping things down. My problem is that I feel like I am having a difficult time meeting my requirements of 40 to 60 grams of Protein and 6 to 8 cups of Water. In between meals my dietitian encouraged doing 4 oz of Protein Shake in between meals but the dr told my not to rely on shakes and try to focus on getting all my protein through food. Also with the shakes I cannot drink an entire bottle at a time so I'm not getting all of the protein from it. As far as the water or liquid goes... I feel bloated a lot from trying to get it in between meals. Plus I have to wait 30 mins after eating to drink so then I sometimes forget to start drinking again. Does anyone know how much liquid we could hold at one time? Sometimes I have the urge to chug half a bottle of water to get it over with but I know this would be bad. I sometimes take a couple big gulps and notice this makes me burp of have slight chest pain. I know I am suppose to sip but it is hard to break old habits when you are thirsty and just want to drink. Does anyone have suggestions for the water and protein? Maybe food suggestions to replace the shakes as Snacks. I eat cheese a lot but I'm looking for other snack type protein foods. Does anyone eat the revival chips and food meant for bariatric patients?

Try he special k Protein Water

So I am 5 weeks post op and seem to be doing well with keeping things down. My problem is that I feel like I am having a difficult time meeting my requirements of 40 to 60 grams of Protein and 6 to 8 cups of Water. In between meals my dietitian encouraged doing 4 oz of Protein shake in between meals but the dr told my not to rely on shakes and try to focus on getting all my protein through food. Also with the shakes I cannot drink an entire bottle at a time so I'm not getting all of the protein from it. As far as the Water or liquid goes... I feel bloated a lot from trying to get it in between meals. Plus I have to wait 30 mins after eating to drink so then I sometimes forget to start drinking again. Does anyone know how much liquid we could hold at one time? Sometimes I have the urge to chug half a bottle of water to get it over with but I know this would be bad. I sometimes take a couple big gulps and notice this makes me burp of have slight chest pain. I know I am suppose to sip but it is hard to break old habits when you are thirsty and just want to drink. Does anyone have suggestions for the water and protein? Maybe food suggestions to replace the shakes as Snacks. I eat cheese a lot but I'm looking for other snack type protein foods. Does anyone eat the revival chips and food meant for bariatric patients?

I'm almost 5yrs. banded, and I still drink shakes... I mix mine with water so your water consumption adds up even in shakes, Soups Decaf Tea or whatever. I put a jug of 640z. in the Fridge, and use it for everything,including drinking. So if you get a little wise to the system, and see with your Dr. that its a good thing to do (NOT 64OZ. ON THE SIDE, THAT'S TO MUCH) This can work for you.

There is a recipe on here that I saw the other day for Pepperoni chips. About 15 0f them in a Micro wave for a few minutes on paper towel.

Check them so they don't burn, but you want them crispy 150 cal. LapBand Food.

Thanks for the responses... I will try both suggestions.

i'm definitely going to try them both too. i'm having a hard time getting the Protein in. I'm not yet on mushees or solids but those pepperoni slices sound delicious! lol

I'm totally needing to work on how much Protein I'm taking in. I just called my surgeon's office the other day, to see if they could bring me a box of the Protein Bullet supplement they sell. I'll pick it up at the TrueResults office on Thursday. It's not the most pleasant to drink, but it's got 42g of protein and I think I just have to suck it up, if I want to get more protein. Good luck to you.

So I am 5 weeks post op and seem to be doing well with keeping things down. My problem is that I feel like I am having a difficult time meeting my requirements of 40 to 60 grams of protein and 6 to 8 cups of Water. In between meals my dietitian encouraged doing 4 oz of protein shake in between meals but the dr told my not to rely on shakes and try to focus on getting all my protein through food. Also with the shakes I cannot drink an entire bottle at a time so I'm not getting all of the protein from it. As far as the Water or liquid goes... I feel bloated a lot from trying to get it in between meals. Plus I have to wait 30 mins after eating to drink so then I sometimes forget to start drinking again. Does anyone know how much liquid we could hold at one time? Sometimes I have the urge to chug half a bottle of water to get it over with but I know this would be bad. I sometimes take a couple big gulps and notice this makes me burp of have slight chest pain. I know I am suppose to sip but it is hard to break old habits when you are thirsty and just want to drink. Does anyone have suggestions for the water and protein? Maybe food suggestions to replace the shakes as Snacks. I eat cheese a lot but I'm looking for other snack type protein foods. Does anyone eat the revival chips and food meant for bariatric patients?

i'm definitely going to try them both too. i'm having a hard time getting the Protein in. I'm not yet on mushees or solids but those pepperoni slices sound delicious! lol

Both of those sound like they would be good for you.

I think it's 5 minutes in the Microwave.

So just sending that your way.

I'll give you my favorite in mushies, and it's good ! Easy too !

Ingredients:

I container large cottage cheese (Quart)

12oz cool whip

15oz of crushed pineapple (DRAINED)

2 small packs of your favorite Jello that goes with pineapple I think lyme is the best for this. You could try strawberry. (NO WATER)

Drain pineapple

In a large bowel, put the Jello in it, then stir in the cool whip. stir until dissolved.

Add the cottage cheese, and stir,

add pineapple and stir.

Refrigerate overnight.

This is FANTASTIC Cottage Cheese is some Protein, (AND YOU DONT TASTE IT DO TO THE JELLO)

Makes a Great Pot Luck at a party.

I make it about once a month, changing flavors.

Have Fun with it,

Let me know if you try it, and like it.

Try the Protein shakes from costco called PREMIER NUTRITION. It has 30g of Protein in an 11oz bottle.

160 calories and 3 grams of fat. 1g of sugar. Sounds like a good shake to me. I have been drinking one for Breakfast and one before/after work out. (I just drink half of it and then the rest when i get home from the gym).

It tastes pretty good and I like it. So try that...

I have to do 90 g of Protein a day but got a lot of great products from my doctors office. Bariatric Advantage is the brand of a lot of them and their products are great. Lots of supplements and Protein Shots to choose from.

I do the 30gram Protein shakes from costco too. It's called Premire.. I add Peanut Butter 7grams and a bananna and blend it.. It is sooooo yummy!!! That is my Breakfast every morning.

I also LOVE the greek yogurt called Chobani.. it has 15 grams of Protein and makes a great snack. You can buy this by the case at costco too.

Also if you go to the Chobani website I believe it is www.chobani.com - they have recipes you can make with the yogurt which means more protein for dinner or lunch..

For Water I buy the crystal light water bottle packets and add them to a giant mug of ice water.. it makes the Water so much eaiser to drink for me.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

I use Unjury flavorless Protein Powder because I can't drink shakes everyday. You can stir it into anything. I also use their chicken Soup flavor for a lot of stuff. In fact for dinner last night (still on full liquids) I made cream of chicken soup. I took 8 ounces of skim milk, one scoop of chicken soup flavor Protein, one scoop of flavorless protein and microwaved it = 49 g. protein.

Can you give us an example if what you are eating? All of your meals should be protein-based and you should always eat your Protein first so that you get as much as possible in before you get full. My surgeon told me that while he prefers me to get my protein from food, if it comes down to a choice of whether or not to get your protein in then he is ok with shakes.< /p>

I will try the Protein shakes from costco. I like that it is less onces than some other the other shakes but still has 30g Protein. I am a little worried to try peppori slices because I have heard that some thick deli meats are harder to break down but I guess I won't know what works for me until I try.

vickyd an example of what I eat goes like this: Breakfast is usually 1/4c of egg beaters scrambled with once slice of wheat toast and once slice of cheese mixed in the egg. lunch might be a Protein Bar (special k 10grams) or tuna salad. dinner might be a piece of chicken, a ground meatball,or tilapia. Usually with a little potato or broccoli. Snacks are usually the round babybel laughing cow cheese light or 5 wheat crackers with Peanut Butter on them. Some Protein shake in between. Does this sound ok? I have tried nonfat Fage yogurt with truvia and fruit... Not a big fan but I will eat it. The problem I run into is when I'm at work and can't sit down to eat. I rely more on shakes and bars.