Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled for 2/6 - a little freaked out

So my surgery is scheduled for 2/6 and my 2-week pre-op liquid diet starts Monday. Tonight we were invited to a black tie event. Started with champagne (I don't normally drink), then hors d'oeuvres (all pastry-wrapped or deep fried). Then to a fixed dinner: lobster bisque, then spinach salad, then sea bass, then sorbet, then beef entree, then a chocolate decadence dessert buffet. The entire thing (starting with champagne and ending with dessert) was 3 hours and 20 minutes.

I'm stuffed to the gills. :faint:

But here's my REAL problem -- the whole time I was thinking -- "How would I handle this if I were banded right now?" The alcohol wasn't a big deal, I could forego that easily. But how would I have gotten the right foods into me at the right time (Protein first, for example), and how would I have gone that entire time without drinking during a meal??? :cry Beyond that, if I were experiencing PB's during that time, it would have been really awkward (the bathroom was pretty far away).

So as I'm getting closer to REALLY getting banded (my last surgery date was postponed due to illness but I'm not sick now, nor is anyone in my family, so it's likely to really happen this time), I'm getting a little nervous about how I'm going to LIVE after the surgery. :nervous

Any input is appreciated.

I was banded Wednesday...my best advice is just jump on in w/ both feet, the Water is fine! I was pretty nervous about the same type of thing, I hate to be 'noticed' or have attention drawn to the fact that I have to do things 'differently' where eating is concerned. I had my share of 'last meals' that I wanted to have 'one more time...' before my band.

I see that some are liquid for several weeks pre-band. I was 'lucky' if you will. My 'restrictions' were Clear Liquids for the day before surgery and for two days post. Then 'creamys' for two/three days, then onto mushies. So my restriction isn't as long as I've been seeing so I'm not feeling deprived or restricted on my food choices like I thought I might.

You can do this!! Keep your chin up!!

I totally understand all of your worries! I was banded on Dec. 5th but I was only on clear liquids the day before surgery. I can't imagine having to do it for as long as you are.

After surgery, I did 3 days of clear liquids and then a couple of days of creamy Soups. I had my 1 wk post op visit after only 4 days post op and was told I could start eating soft foods and advance as tolerated. Everything beyond that day has been trial & error. Somedays I can eat anything I want but a whole lots less of it and other days that same thing would not go down. About 2 weeks post op-I was eating whatever I wanted and was feeling hungry more often.

I had my first fill on 1-5-06. I was down 17 pounds from the day of surgery. (I weighed 256 the day of surgery) I had to do clear liquid for another 2 days. I don't think I felt maximum constriction for a couple of days after my fill of 1cc. (my band holds 4) All of the sudden, I was having trouble eating anything! Pretty much everything I was eating I was having severe epigastric pain. You can totally tell when something is not passing. So I went back to creamy Soups and mashed potatoes for a couple of days and slowly started eating regular food again.

As of today, I have lost 24 pounds but I haven't lost anything the past week. So, I guess I have been really long winded to tell you that you will adjust after surgery. It won't take much hurting for you to learn what you can and can't eat. Anyway, good luck with your surgery! :)

Don't worry, you'll do fine! Once you get through the healing stage, there's nothing wrong with nursing a small glass of wine at a party. As far as PB'ing, you'll quickly find out which foods are trouble for you, and then you can avoid them. For most bandsters, PB'ing is something that happens rarely, if at all.

It's not like you'll be going to black tie events often (I assume, lol) and it's fine have an occasional meal that doesn't follow the Protein first rule. As long as you make good choices most of the time you'll do great.

Just remember during your liquid stage why you are doing this! to shrink the fat so surgery is easier. Try to keep away from situations you'll want to eat especially about day 3. I cried over an egg roll. I dont even like egg rolls but I wanted it. Hubby took me home and sat with me as I drank my dinner! yeah dont let the great guy thing fool you, he ate the damn egg roll so I would stop crying over it!

For after, no one notices how much I eat. I eat it all, ok a bite of it all but I dont announce, nope cant eat that, I just dont eat it! The hardest is going out or at lunch and they ask if you want somehting to drink with your meal, "nope", thats when the waitress says "nothing? no damn it nothing move to the next person!" so I take the Water, and leave it there as to not make an issue of it.

People dont notice at first, then realize your loosing and watch to see how much you eat, and do the same. My friend has started sharing meals if we eat out, asks what I ate for meals and now we go to the gym at noon instead of lunch and she lost more this past 2 weeks then I. she didn't have surgery! Loosing weight is contageous, people see your changes and want to loose not knowing your a bandster, hell, give advice on portions and choices, they'll think your a genious, and you are!!

I was banded on Jan 9th, after a two week pre-op, liver shrinking diet that started on Dec 20th. I've lost 25 pounds since starting that diet. Today, I tried on the jeans I couldnt stand to wear anymore.. I had finally given in and started wearing some baggy stretch pants the two weeks prior to surgery. But today, I was given a strong reminder of why Im drinking protien shakes, broth and slim fast meals.. those jeans come off without unbuttoning them! Woot!

Is it a big lifestyle change? Yes? Is it forever? Don't think so. Eating out in public like a 'normal' person and not like a horse with a feedbag on is something I'm looking forward to.

*smiles*

Susan

Hey, you folks are all such an encouagment. I was banded two days ago. I am very hungry and can hardly wailt till tomarrow. I go to creamy Soups etc. I have been on the clear stuff for what seems forever. Actually only 4 days total. Pre-surgery diet before that. I am having a fair amount of pain yet but hate to take the pain meds. They make me feel sleepy. My husband went to get me some liquid tylenol for pain. Will try that next. Took a shower today. That felt good. One step at a time. One step at a time. I have a positive attitude and will do this.

With your help, my band and family and help from above!!!

Guest 2BBANDSIRLS

I am scheduled to be banded February 1, and I haven't been told to do only liquids. Not yet anyway. I don't know if I can do liquids only, before I'm banded. Well maybe if I take diet pills(?).

I was told to do liquids the day before. I was spose to be able to see throughit before I should drink it. Like apple juice, Jello and broth. For two weeks before I was on 2 protien drinks per day, and 4 oz of meat and 1/2 cup veggies. I guess that was to shrink my liver. I am sure you should follow what your doctor says to do. Everyone is different.

Just a thought though, if you consume less for a few days pre-surgry,

I would think you would feel better after anesthesia.

Thanks for all the input.

I guess I should have clarified -- the 2 weeks pre-op liquids doesn't freak me out at all (I've done liquid diets before and short-term any diet is pretty easy for me to stick to). It's what my lifestyle's going to be like after surgery that freaks me out.

It does help to know that "it's fine have an occasional meal that doesn't follow the Protein first rule" -- for some reason I had it in my head that if you DIDN'T eat Protein first you'd feel sick. I think I had this in my head because of original research on gastric bypass instead. So thank you, Anne, for posting this and making me realize it wasn't LAW, just a good general guideline to follow.

There's a couple things about a night like that that will be different pre & post banding. First of all, the food ws spread over seveal hours so you can space out your eating a bit. Also out of all those courses there were probably one or two you could do without. Before I was banded I would have eaten them anyways, now I would "fake it" maybe take a nibble to see how it is and if I don't love it, I would busy myself chatting and occasionally pushing it around my plate. Most people don't even notice you're not actually eating. DH LOVES this part of my banded live as he often gets seconds now. Better watch out or he'll be a band candidate soon! I find that an evening like this now is COMPLIMENTED by food rather than ABOUT the food. Much of it is just a slight mental adjustment. The actual mechanics or logistics of it kind of take care of themselves. You'll be much more self concious about it than anyone around you........good luck on your surgery!

Heya Elisa,

I checked on this thread again today and realized that you are in Orange County, CA. One of the members here, Muffinbirdie, is also in Orange County and has an awesome website you should check out. She has had the band for several years and has gone through enormous changes, both emotionally and physically. She is doing weight loss counseling/support in your area. Who knows, she might be a great local support contact for you. Here is her website addy:

http://www.myagb.homestead.com/index.html

Hey Photonut,

I checked out the site you gave. Wow! what an inspiration. I loved it. I am talking via internet with a friend in Oregon that is interested. It is so good to send such positive info.

I just had some chicken tortila Soup. It was strained and watered down with chicken broth but it was a treat just the same. Also had a little pudding and it stayed put just fine. I am trying to get the fluids in today.

Have been a little short in that regard the last few days. for some reason

warm Water with a little lemon works best for me.

Three days and counting!!

Do any of you know how to do the ticker tape thing to show the loss a person has??I am not very computer savy so forgive my ignorance. lol

Yup, go to www.tickerfactory.com and set up the design you want. Once you've finished, copy all of the text in the box under it and then select Edit Signature from the Quick Links at the top of this page, then paste in what you copied from tickerfactory.

Glad you enjoyed the site. I find her to be quite an inspiration as well. :thankyou:

Guest 2BBANDSIRLS

Thanks for all the information.