Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couple questions

I am scheduled for surgery in the summer and my kids will be home. I am taking a week off work, do you think I can manage two kids and move around or I should re-schedule during the school time.

Also, can I travel two weeks after surgery (by car, but I am not gonna be the one who drives).

Thank you

It depends on a lot of things, if everything goes well:

Part depends on how well behaved the kids are. You will not be able to lift them for at least the first week. Nothing over 10 lbs the first couple of days, nothing over 25 lbs the first week.

You will be sore, no piggy back rides, etc. because you'll likely have back and shoulder pain from gas. It's doable, that only lasts a week. Try to have help around if you can.

For travel, you can travel. Just remember you'll be on liquids and/or soft food. Pack foods accordingly. And bring a little pillow or towel to put between the seat belt and your belly so you don't irritate it.

Now, if you turn into an open surgery or anything goes wrong, you'll need someone around and travel may not be a good idea.

I am scheduled for surgery in the summer and my kids will be home. I am taking a week off work, do you think I can manage two kids and move around or I should re-schedule during the school time.

Also, can I travel two weeks after surgery (by car, but I am not gonna be the one who drives).

Thank you

YOU are going to need at least 4 weeks off the first 2 you can not lift over 5 lbs that meens no house work the next 2 weeks nothing over 10 lbs, you are going to need some help . I know because I tried to manage like you and I have a hernia I have to have surgery I DID NOT LISTEN TO MY DR.

I went back to work 6 days after surgery with a 25 lb lifting restriction. 3 weeks after surgery my aunt passed away and I drove the 500 miles to her funeral. You should be fine with your kids and your trip.

The first week will be tough...if your kids are older (mine are 15 and 8) they can help you. Mine were actually really supportive (shocker!!) and my 15-yr old son did all the heavy lifting, reaching, etc. for me...often without my asking :)

If your kids are young, you might want to have someone there with you during the day just to keep them occupied or to take them to the park so you can rest. I know my kids get big-time cabin fever during the summer!

I worked from home for the first week after my surgery and I'm grateful that I had that option. I could not have imagined trying to put on "work clothes". Sweats were all I could wear. I don't know if I believe these people who say they went back to work a day or two after surgery. Seems a little quick to me. Even when I went back, I had to use my rolling laptop case, take the elevator, and I couldn't sit at my desk for too long before I had to get up and move around.

My surgeon encouraged me to get up and walk as soon as possible. I stayed overnight in the hospital, but I was up and walking to the bathroom 5 hours after the surgery.

As for the road trip, you should be fine. Just remember to eat right...pack food to take with you and as another person suggested, bring a pillow or something to put between the seatbelt and your tummy.

Good luck!!

Thank you, I appreciate all the responses.

Part of me if not ALL is terified. I do not know if I can go through this. I was 246 pounds and went through an early preop diet of 1200 calorie low fat diet (rescheduled the surgery date). For my surprise I lost 13 pounds in three weeks. Did not starve or feel pressured. Now I am 233 pounds with BMI of 38. I started rethink the whole Lapband again. All I am thinking right now do I have to go through this? Some how when I read about the complications and the research done on the band it seems like it is not a life time band and eventually everyone needs to replace it with a new band, right? I think for the first time suddenly kicked in the "change of life style and eating habbits" In the past few weeks I cooked almost free fat meals (and tasted delicious), no bread, chocolate or Pasta (I am huge bread and chocolate eater) and the best part I do not even crave them. Any suggestion? should I go through the band or give my self a chance?

Thanks

well helen, no one can really answer that question but you. i feel that this isnt for everybody. some people are about to loose weight through proper eating and exercise and keep it off. My problem is keeping it off. Most people get the band cuz they have exhausted all other avenues and this is like a last resort. I would definetly give it some more thought if you're not sure, after all it is surgery. for every person that sings the lap band praises there will be someone with something negative to say. talk to you doctor and see what they think, they know you're health better than we do. so please just do your research and ask as many questions as you need to. most people on this forum are very open to question as am I. Best wishes in your decision.

I had surgery over a holiday so both my kids were home. At the time, they were 2 and 4. My son (the youngest) was still in diapers so before surgery I taught him how to climb up on the changing table so I would not have to lift him. My daughter was old enough to understand I could not lift her. I was discharged from hospital on a Friday and by Saturday morning, I was up and making them Breakfast and taking care of them. I wasn't sore per say (except right around my stomach) but mostly I was tired! Two weeks prior to surgery you are on a liquid diet then day before, Clear Liquids. Day of surgery I had nothing and nothing the following day either except Water. So, mostly I was exhausted not sore. My kids were very understanding and would play "nurse" to mom--which they really enjoyed. So, I think it depends on your kids but also it is important to tell them what is happening. I didn't go into great detail but the kids certainly knew things were different around the house prior to surgery.

I went back to work within a week and I travel for work and didn't have any issues.

How old are the kids? That will probably play a big part. If they are old enough to get ready alone and can get food on their own then I would think you would be ok but if they really rely on you for everything, you are going to be down and out that week.

Though the pre-surgery diet weight loss can be very motivating, you have to think back to all those times you dieted, lost some weight, thought it would stay off, then gained again.

If the pre-op diet was easy for you then you have a super chance of succeeding on the band.

Though no one can tell you if it's the right/wrong thing for you to do, my suggestion is to go ahead with the surgery.

We're all here because we have a history of gaining / losing / gaining. The band is here to help us lose / lose / lose ... and sometimes gain a wee bit then lose again ; )

I was home the same day as my surgery. I was sore for a few days, mostly with the pain from the gas they blow you up with. I was exhausted and weak - my preop diet was two Protein Shakes and a salad each day, then the day of surgery and the next day I could barely get anything down so I mostly sucked on sugar-free ice pops. I didn't get my energy back until I started on full liquids the third week after surgery. I'm glad I took 2 weeks off from work. I'd have never made it from an energy standpoint.