Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drinking and eating timing

At the seminar I went to, I was told that one of the things that I would have to change was eating and drinking at separate times. I am fairly certain they said I'd have to wait 45 minutes after eating to drink liquids.

My question is, do they mean I have to wait 45 minutes until taking a single sip of liquid, or do I just have to wait 45 minutes to drink a high volume of liquid.

I currently usually take a few sips of a drink after a meal just to "wash it down." Does that need to end, or just drinking large volumes after you eat?

Thanks! :)

At the seminar I went to, I was told that one of the things that I would have to change was eating and drinking at separate times. I am fairly certain they said I'd have to wait 45 minutes after eating to drink liquids.< /p>

My question is, do they mean I have to wait 45 minutes until taking a single sip of liquid, or do I just have to wait 45 minutes to drink a high volume of liquid.

I currently usually take a few sips of a drink after a meal just to "wash it down." Does that need to end, or just drinking large volumes after you eat?

Thanks! :)

Hi, I had my band about 2 months ago, and at first, this was so hard for me. I am one of those gals that go through 4 or 5 iced teas at meal time, or coffee with my Breakfast. The way it was explained to me is that the way the band works, is that your food fills up your pouch, and makes you feel full, and if you drink liquids at the same time, it loosens the food, and helps it pass through the band quicker. We dont want that, since the point of the band, is to help you feel full with as little food as possible, for as long a time as possibe. When I was first banded with no restriction, this was almost impossible for me! I even asked others on the post op board if it ever gets easier! One of those reply posts that I got said that she literally cant eat and drink at the same time. She gets sick, and after getting my first fill, that is how it has worked out for me too. I can take very small sips, just to cool my mouth off (I love spicey food) or to wash the after dinner taste out of my mouth, but I cant drink a whole glass of anything. Its like having a stopped up potty, and then flushing..... the extra Water just has no where to go but up. I have learned this lesson the hard way (a couple of times now, because im hard headed) I have never thrown up, but the pressure on my chest felt like heart burn times a million! Its just easier to wait for at LEAST 15 min before deciding to drink any significiant volume! I hope this helps!!

That makes total sense. Sounds like a small sip will be okay, and that is really all I need after a meal. Good to hear. Thanks! :)

my surgeon's nutritionist said he won't stop us from taking a sip or two if we REALLY need it, but generally, we aren't supposed to have any liquid until our allotted time is up. i'll be 8 months out on the 28th, and it's just second nature now. the only time i have liquid when i eat is at a party or a restaurant, and that's only a little bit. at home, it's not an issue anymore.