Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill loss at every fill?

:eek: Every time I go in for a fill, the fill tech never pulls out the amount of fill that should be in my band. The loss is very minimal anywhere from .1cc to .2cc. within a 3 week period of time. Does anyone else experience this and is this normal? Also, what could possibly be causing the loss of Fluid in the band?

Thanks!

It also could be a tech that doesn't do a fill correctly. This was my problem this fall, he was letting out more than he was putting in.

Guest TeeTee125

What is a fill? I am considering having the lapband surgery and do not know too much about it as of yet.

TeeTee,

Thats funny, my dad nicknamed me Tee Tee. Ah, memories from childhood!! Even then I was a little plump. I am a natural! A fill is an adjustment with needle/syringe filled with saline that is administered by a fill tech/doctor. It is injected through a port in attempt to reach the proper restriction of your band.

Thanks Alex, Paula, Nana & Vinesqueen for sharing your exeriences and knowledge on the loss of Fluid from fills. Paula, the doctor did not appear too concerned and mentioned that a little loss of fill happens sometimes. I know I am very restricted right now at 7.8cc in an 11cm band. I was yak'in up chicken tonight. I have to be very careful what I eat with this amount of fill! My throat squeaks everytime I swallow something.

That was happening to me in the beginning. Everytime I went back, my whole fill was almost gone. They tested for a leak and could not find one. Eventually they put in a thicker liquid instead of saline and it has stayed every time now. It took about 3 months to figure all of this out though. Kind of a bummer but at least it is fixed now. Good luck

Cindy,

chicken is a food I must eat VERY S L O W! So dont think its just you, alot of us have to really take small bites and swallow slowly with this one.

The reason I asked about your doc's response is because when I went for my second fill, MY doc pulled out less. I was concerened! VERY concerned. But his nurse assured me that he probably wrote the wrong number on the fill level - and IF I had a leak, I would be able to tell due to loss of restriction!

She was right. No loss of restriction here! Ive only had 2 fills, and my last one was 14 months ago. During my cycle, I should be on liquids - due to so much restriction. So I know all is well.

If your doctor isnt concerned, then try not to worry.

The signs of a leak: loss of restriction and no weightloss. If you experience these 2 things, then Id give him a call. :thankyou:

Hi All,

Long time reader, kind of bad about posting messages, though. I do appreciate all of the info, support, fellowship, i.e. that I receive from you all.

I was banded in Mexico by Drs. Ortiz/Martinez, on 7-27-05. Just had my 2nd fill yesterday. My first fill was 1.6cc. Yesterday, Dr. Ortiz said there was only 1.2cc in there. He said that there is a theory that up to .2cc can leave the band and go into your body via osmosis. Apparently the body tissues are more salty than the fill solution in the band, and therefore he quite often see's up to .2cc less when drawing out an old fill. In addition, he said it is common that the first time you get a fill, there is air inside the band, and so for me, while the 1st fill appeared to be 1.6cc, that was possibly not a true reading in that all of the 1.6cc was probably not solution--part of it was air.

Now I am at 1.9cc. Hope to see some more weight loss--I've actually needed the 2nd fill since Nov., but hubby convinced me to wait until after the holidays. Probably a good idea, but I'm a turtle for the weight loss--only 22 lbs since 7/27/05. Although to be fair, I don't exercise much and lost almost every lb of the 22 lbs by Nov. Doesn't look like I will get to my goal of 40 lbs lost by my 40th b-day (3/5/06). But regardless, I am happy to see the scale go down instead of up. Have gone from size 20w pants to 18w and 16w. That's a great feeling.

Jigglypuff

Cindy,

I lost part of my fill the first 2 times due to EVAPORATION. If there is air in your band, the saline can evaporate. It took my doc twice to get all the air out; my last 2 fills have maintained all Fluid.< /p>

Question,

Before you get a "fill" does the band itself restrict your food instake?

I thought the band created the "pouch" and that made the stomach smaller which causes a feeling of fullness sooner.

Pre-bandster

5'6"

256 lbs

Dr Spivak

For some people the band causes restriction on its own. Personally, I thought I was the placebo in some horrible experiment. I could eat normally from day 2.

Newlife4me, Paula, Jigglypuff, Kryssa, & Jerseygurl,

Thanks for your input and information. I honestly believe that a very small amount of fill lost is not uncommon. I dont believe there is a leak because I possibly have too much restriction. I have been yak'in up frequently. I am learning what I can & cannot eat. Today I was able to eat and keep it down. The last two days it seemed as though everything was getting stuck! I found that a warm drink before eating helps to loosen up in order to eat. I also chew very well and take very small bites. Jigglypuff, I beleive Dr. Oritiz has the best answer for this mystery. He has been in the business long enough to have a sound answer. I was concerned about a possible leak, but I wont give it another thought thanks to all of your support and valuable information!

Cindyh

Just curious if anyone knows..... I was in for my 2nd fill 2 days ago and Speigel put 2cc in me, so now a total of 3.4 cc altogether. was is the limit on a medium (10) band? Everyone kept saying at the surgicenter that the most they can do is 5cc? Is that true i forgot to ask the Dr.....