Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded And Not Sure I Did The Right Thing!!!!!!

Hi, I was banded on 1/3/06 and the first week I lost 15 pounds and

then I put 3 back on and then this last week I have lost nothing. I am

having trouble taking in my protien shakes and just want to eat

everything in sight. Yesterday I broke down and ate a whole can of

chef boyardee spagetti and meatballs and then a piece of toast with

peanut butter and jelly and about 3 hours later 1 scoop of icecream. I

figured i took in about 1,000 calories yesterday and was really

excited to step on the scale hoping that i would see a loss because i

didnt starve myself yesterday only to see that I somehow gained 4

pounds!

I know Im not suppose to eat until next week but i was concerned about

my very low calloric intake. I was so very supprised I could eat that

much. Is this normal??

I get so very jelous of my husband when he exercises every morning

because of sharp shooting pain in my port and my stomach shaking

around I find it impossible to exercise. Im starting to cry and wonder

if i didnt make a really big mistake

I am getting so very discouraged could someone please give me some

advice?????????:help:

Hi Kristin,

Don't panic, what you're feeling is completely normal. The band is designed to start working after you get a fill. The first 6 weeks after surgery you should be concentrating on healing, not weight loss. Even so, you've had a great loss for 3 weeks. Remember, you're only going to lose 1-2 lbs a week. When you've been living on liquids, it's normal to jump up a few pounds after reintroducing solids.

What is your post-op diet right now? Are you still in the full liquid stage, or have you graduated to mushies? liquids are tough to get through, but you can do it! You need to be gentle with your stomach right now while you heal. If you do cave in, stick with a mushy food (mashed potatoes, refried Beans, etc).

It's been just a little over 2 weeks since your surgery. Try to be patient with the exercise. It's very important to take it easy right now or you'll be in a world of hurt. Good luck!

The first several weeks after surgery are the toughest so don't be too hard on youself. This is a HUGE life adjustment and you have to take it one day at a time. I do not know what kind of diet your surgeon has placed you on, but try hard to stick with it. The main reason is so that you can heal. In the full liquid stage I ate cream of chicken Soup and that really filled me up, I also kept fat free pudding and ate that too. Egg drop Soup has a lot of Protein. Mushies, I would try things like refried Beans (good protein) mushed up black Beans and then slowly add some mushed meat. Try to eat the Protein first. Before you are filled eating is much easier because you have no restriction. You have to try to rely on your willpower or you will end up eating close to what you did before. Drink lots and lots of Water.

When exercising, while you are healing try walking on the treadmill to keep from "jiggling" too much. I started that way and finally made my way back to the elliptical machine. If you are having a lot of port pain talk to your doctor.

It's so hard at first but remember we all go through the "what did I do this for" time. It will get better, I'm 3 weeks out and so happy I made this choice!!!

Hugs and prayers coming your way...

I was still in serious recovery at your stage, taking pain medication and napping every afternoon. I think it sounds like you're doing great! I didn't exercise for at least a month. You are feeling exactly what you should -- you're OK!!!!! Until you get a fill you may be able to eat quite a bit once you are healed from the surgery. Try to focus on making good choices -- lots of Water and always Protein first. Your body is still reeling from what it's been through. I drive myself crazy with scale fluctuations and now weigh myself less often and only really take the number to heart if I see it come up on two or three different occasions :eek: Hang in there and give yourself some time. Once you have a fill you'll be less hungry but until then go for shakes whenever possible...........

You are doing fine. The only correction I would suggest is just to feed yourself like you would a baby or a toddler...nothing difficult to digest. Let your espophagus and stomach heal totally before you ask it to do a rough work out. Don't worry right now about low caloric intake...concentrate on your Protein. If you don't like the shakes you have, try some new ones.

So far, everyone who has written the same things at the same stage of recovery you are in, have written a month later praising their band, and feeling great! Hang in there! Cindy

hi kirsten keep thinking positive thoughts you'll see i'm sure it's the best thing since sliced bread, just by the way i was in your part of the world about 7 years ago tracking down distant cousins of my hubby i just loved portland and surronding area's and the effect's of the volcano just incredible, has the vegataion started growing back yet ?

Honey, You've only been banded a couple of weeks, and right on schedule, you are inthe "OH MY GAWD! WHAT DID I DO????" phase.

You have just had major surgery. Just because it was done laproscopically, and you don't have this huge gapping wounds doesn't mean you didn't just do something tramatic.

Also, the band just is not designed to work without a fill.

Give your self time to heal, but most importantly, be kind to yourself.

If you want to start working out, wear something tight around your tummy, like a leotard or a super tight t-shirt.

Kristen,

I know how you feel. I was banded on Jan 12. I also have a lot of pain at the port site. Just moving makes that site sore. The nurse told me it is normal, but that doesn't make it hurt less. I am also ravenously hungry on my liquid diet. We are both too new to know if all this sacrifice is going to pay off! I sure hope it does. It is the hope that this band will help me to lose weight and become more healthy that keeps me going through the healing process.

I think that probably most of our initial weight loss is Water. I wouldn't worry about putting on a few pounds as you change to more solid food. I think it is mostly Water and not fat at this early point in our journey.

I think Sarabride's suggestion to face the post surgery challenges one day at a time is a good one! I will try to live by that motto. I was very encouraged to hear that at 3 weeks out Sarabride is already glad that she had the surgery.

Best wishes.

Kristen,

I know this is hard, but you can't watch the scale too closely now. Your pre-op diet should have eliminated carbs and sodium (assuming you fasted for at least two days). This will cause you to loose a ton of Water, not fat. Remember that 1 lb of fat = 3500 calories. So, if your body burn 1500 calories per day and you eat 1000, then it will take you 7 days to loose 1 lb of fat. Given that, your initial loss was mostly Water.< /p>

Once you ate some regular food, your body quickly retained the water it previously lost.

So, the advise above is good. Calm down. Reset your mind that of a marathon and not a sprint. Also, if you are less than 4 weeks post-op you are taking a fairly big risk by starting exercise. You MUST let your body heal completely if you want to reduce the risk of complication.

Mashed potatoes from KFC add a little Water. And pintos w cheese from Taco Bueno add a little hot sauce. That is how I made it through. This too shall pass. I was where you are now. Don't worry it will get better.

I'm right here with ya girlfriend.... I was banded january 9 and was feeling the same way, no restriction, could eat a horse and yada yada, but I have lost almost 15 lbs. I actually did some dancing in my living room tonight. It made me feel TONS better just getting up and moving!!!! I'm trying to stick with mushies at least, had part of a chicken quesadilla last night and a little spagetti tonight. Oh yea, I have the same port pain when i was dancing, just take it easy, and get moving!!!!

HANG IN THERE KIDDO!!!!!

Kim

Sweetie, hang in there!!! IT WILL HAPPEN!! I just posted on another thread how I was banded Sept. 26 and until my last fill on Jan. 4, I lost and gained the same 15 pounds. I would get a fill, feel a little restriction or at least fake that I felt it and try to stick to a diet, lose a bit of weight, lose all restriction (imagined or real) and gain the weight back. But then............................................I got my last fill and trust me, when you have restriction, you will know it. In Sept. I had planned on looking thinner for the holidays, only to look the same and have relatives notice but not "question". It sucked. But now I am losing consistently because my band is adjusted properly. It will be for you too. Everyone on this band helped me walk through the initial frustrating stage so lean on us, we've been there!

Darla

If you like coffee frappachinos...try this:

a scoop of your favorite chocolate (or vanilla) protien shake

a teaspoon of instant Decaf coffee

however much milk you are suppouse to add to the protien shake (I liked carb countdown had just a bit more protien...every bit helps)

a few ice cubes (you can actually freeze a batch of protien shake for this and get MORE protien in..thats what I did ...I actually used the vanilla that i didn't like much.)

Put it all in a blender and blend till nice and frothy.

I thought it tasted pretty good, almost like a coffee shop one.

Good luck, I know it seems tough now...but in a month you will be feeling differently. I think part of it is we get all excited and worked up about having the surgery, we don't anticipate the recovery phase too well. And as far as exercise, I was walking quite a bit but I wore those sports tops...the ones like a cami that are a bit snug and it helped with the whole jiggling port area. You might could loose wrap like an ace type of bandage around the area just when exercising if its really uncomfortable. For me the port area was the longest to heal.

Melissa

Just so you know, I felt exactly the same way you describe after the surgery. Try not to worry about it until after your first fill. Good luck!