Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Range - How many calories do you get in per day?

So, I was banded 1/18/11 and I have only lost 15 lbs since surgery. I'm trying to reevaluate everything I am doing. I get at least 4 5k's in a week, walking and running them. So, I am not sure why the scale is not moving. I try to watch what I eat, and do very well for the most part. I get my Protein and Water in. This is really fustrating me. i was trying to follow the diet plan on sparkpeople. When I don't get enough calories it tells me I am hurting myself. So I have been sticking with 12-1500. Is this too much? Thanks in advance

I eat 1700 calories a day. No one here, nor any online program/database, can tell you how many calories you need to eat. There are so many variables that play a part (height, weight, goal weight, daily activity amount,e tc) so using those tools/comparing to others is quite useless.

My advice is to start off with a number and go from there. I worked my way up from 800 calories to 1700 calories. When I first began I ate about 800 calories a day. Seems like a small amount and a drastic cut from 1700, but when you have excess fat to lose, a 1,000 calorie deficit is acceptable (I'm sure some will disagree with me here.)

Maybe start at 1200 calories and add 100 calories each week; re-evaluate at the end of each week to see what the scale is doing. This is how I worked my way up to 1700.

Also, are you weighing/measuring/tracking everything you eat? If not, start. Buy a digital scale and fully know/be aware of what you're taking in calorie wise each day. Sometimes we're eating a lot more than we expect. I learned this when I went into my Peanut Butter phase. A "tablespoon" of Peanut Butter is not a true "tablespoon," so to speak. The same goes for most/all foods.

In the end it's calories in vs. calories out; I don't care what anyone says LOL. :)

Thanks for answering, Yeah my motto is if I bite it I write it. So, that being said i will be using spark people to log my food, but do a trail and error on the number of calories as you suggested. I will buy a scale. I've been buying stuff that says a portion is 2 ounces like the indivdually wrapped fish filets that you bake. Have you ever had a fill? I see you are in onderland quickly. What's your secret?

I keep my calories between 1,000-1,100. I found that if I eat below or above that range then I don't lose. reverie has some good suggestions...play around with your calories to determine what level is the best for you and definately weigh and measure your food so you have an accurate tracking of how much you are eating. As far as Sparkpeople goes...I wouldn't worry too much about the warnings that you aren't eating enough calories (as long as you are getting your Protein in and taking a multivitamin)...find the right level for you and use the program as a guide to make sure you are staying in the range you choose and are getting in enough protein.

Thank you vicky, I will do that. I don't know why I waited so long to ask questions.

I keep my calories between 1,000-1,100. I found that if I eat below or above that range then I don't lose. reverie has some good suggestions...play around with your calories to determine what level is the best for you and definately weigh and measure your food so you have an accurate tracking of how much you are eating. As far as Sparkpeople goes...I wouldn't worry too much about the warnings that you aren't eating enough calories (as long as you are getting your Protein in and taking a multivitamin)...find the right level for you and use the program as a guide to make sure you are staying in the range you choose and are getting in enough protein.

Thanks for answering, Yeah my motto is if I bite it I write it. So, that being said i will be using spark people to log my food, but do a trail and error on the number of calories as you suggested. I will buy a scale. I've been buying stuff that says a portion is 2 ounces like the indivdually wrapped fish filets that you bake. Have you ever had a fill? I see you are in onderland quickly. What's your secret?

No fill and no secret :) I've been banded for a year tomorrow. I believe it took me pre-op and then about a month post-op to reach onederland. I think my calorie intake + the exercise helped most. Besides, you do often lose quickly in the beginning.

just putting in my two cents...i ate, on average, about 650 calories for a few months after surgery and have lost 80 pounds in 7 months. i'm starting to up my calories a little, just to play around with them but find it hard to reach above 850 while keeping my carbs in the low range that i'd like them to be. some people refuse to go until 1000, but if what you're doing isn't working for you, a lower amount might.

Like others said, it'll be different for everyone. I usually have between 800-1200 a day, but I'm still on soft foods.

What would be a normal day's worth of food for you? I'm curious exactly what you're eating and how much Protein and carbs you're taking in each day. Also, I don't know how much you have to lose... the less you have to lose, the slower it'll go. What's the diet plan on sparkpeople? Is it geared towards "normal" (ha!) people or for those who have had bariatric surgery?

My weight loss got better once I started eating a little more. I go back and forth, one day I'll barely eat 800 calories, but then a day or 2 in the week I'll have 1500-1700.

So, I was banded 1/18/11 and I have only lost 15 lbs since surgery. I'm trying to reevaluate everything I am doing. I get at least 4 5k's in a week, walking and running them. So, I am not sure why the scale is not moving. I try to watch what I eat, and do very well for the most part. I get my Protein and Water in. This is really fustrating me. i was trying to follow the diet plan on sparkpeople. When I don't get enough calories it tells me I am hurting myself. So I have been sticking with 12-1500. Is this too much? Thanks in advance

[/quote

Id say, same as everyone. I have lost 50 pounds in 6 months pre op and i was eating 2000 calories a day! Now post op, i lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks on the liquid diet and now for the past 3 4 days, it is stalled. I am drinking btw 500 to 1000 calories id say, so theoretically i should be loosing, but i think i even gained 2 pounds!!! My body is for sure reacting to the drastic diet. I havent gained any weight for the past 7months and now i am doing a drastic liquid diet, how silly does that sound!

I think you should try what the other have said, up your calories a bit, play with it, it must be scary to do, but i think your body needs a little more.

I was banded on 3/1/11 and have lost 79 lbs already. I eat between 600 and 700 calories per day. I cannot fit anymore in me. I get alteast 60 grams of Protein per day, 64oz of Water, and keep my fat intake below 25grams per day. I make sure to exercise everyday.

weight.png

I was at abt 500-700 calories til last week. After some advice here I am trying to up it to trigger some metabolism upping.

I eat between 600-800 calories a day. I have to force myself to eat as I have zero appetite. I haven't had a fill yet and don't feel I need one. I just started exercising pretty hard so I am hoping to increase my calorie intake accordingly. I'm down 64 pounds in five months and feeling pretty good. I still have another 60 to go but I'm halfway there. I have so much more energy than before despite not eating much.

I give myself a window of anything between 800 - 1200 calories per day. This way if I go out and eat in a Restaurant, and the sauce puts me over the 1200 mark.... I don't kick myself for it.

So far,,, it's working.