Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

are you kidding me????

I discovered something this week......after 18 months, I'm finally sick of hearing how great I look. Five different things occured:

1) I posted my before and after pic on my Facebook page and received an email from a total stranger asking me how I lost weight and begging me to help her. I was shocked because I have my FB page blocked so you can see very little about me........I discovered later that she is a friend of a friend who showed her my pic;

2) I was on the elevator at work with one of our Sr. VPs discussing business when we stopped and someone got on. That woman ask me if I was Terri and when I said yes, she proceeded to go on and on about how great I looked, that she'd seen my before and after pic and what had I done - once again - someone else had shown her my pic - and this woman wasn't over weight, she had a family member that was and wanted to know what I had done so that she could share the info;

3) When I walked into a class I was about to teach, my boss said - here's Terri - isn't she beautiful.........all the trainees in this class were from out of town and I had only previously met 2.......so what, exactly were they to say? They had no idea why my manager was calling me "beautiful"! Very uncomfortable.

4) My manager and I had a disagreement on how to teach a class (my manager is from an older generation) and we couldn't convince the other that we were right. In the end, she said: you've done such a great job changing your outside - maybe it's time to work on your inside. I SUGGESTED she not go there.......

5) and finally - on 4 different occasions this week, someone came up to me, while eating lunch with my dear friend who struggles with about 50 extra pounds, to tell me how great I look. Each time I was more and more uncomfortable.......so I'd say a quick thank you and then try to ignore them in hopes that they would move along and not start asking a bunch of questions.

Anyone else feel the same? After all - we are still the same people on the inside - aren't we?

Hahaha!! I don't work at a hospital, but I get the ARE YOU SICK thing A LOT! I just wonder what they AREN'T asking... like, I am sure some people are thinking "Must be DRUGS!"... and sometimes I so badly want to be a stinker and just tell them "It's the meth."

tongue.gif

That is too funny "it's the meth" I too have people ask if I'm sick. Never thought they would be saying I'm a druggie to funny. I just tell everyone I eat lots of protien and exersice.

I was very selective about who I told because I didn't want all the assumptions and questions that went with sharing my decision to have weight loss surgery. My family knew and said that they would be supportive but I quickly learned that there are two different types of support and the one I needed most my family struggled to provide. To clarify, my mother and grandmother both wanted the surgery as well. We went in together, and for various reasons they were not able to have the surgery. While they said they were happy for me and were there every step of the way during the surgery and recovery, my first year was really hard because they were not willing to acknowledge the mental journey and complete lifestyle change that I needed to make. I'm not sure if it was jealousy, resentment, or their own disappointment in the system but from the start they questioned everything I did, everything the doctor said. Every time I turned down a piece of food from my mother it was like I was slapping her in the face. She felt like I was rejecting her. To be honest I was probably a huge reminder that what she was eating wasn't healthy and she didn't want to acknowledge that. Example: less than 10 days post surgery my mother demanded that I go to a birthday dinner for my sister, even though I couldn't eat at that point and when I tried to refuse she called me selfish and spoiled. I eventually gave in and went and then she demanded I order something from the menu so that it wasn't awkward for the others around me. So I sat with a bowl of cold chili in front of me for an hour so that everyone else could feel comfortable and pig out while I was absolutely miserable. And don't think I didn't want to eat everything that they were eating!! It was horrible.

It took me two years to hit my 50 lb milestone and when I did, even knowing how hard I had to work to get there my sister got angry when I shared the news, told me I was just rubbing it in her face and left me in tears on the phone. She did realize what she did and apologized but I realized my biggest obstacle was learning that I am strong enough to do this on my own and having the courage to do what I know is right for me and my health even if it makes some other people uncomfortable. Living to please other people and trying to be perfect is what got me into this mess. I don't blame my family, they have their own struggles to deal with, but I did have a breakthrough when I realized that I could stand up to them and defend my right to be happy and healthy. I thought I could inspire them to change, that they could take this journey with me, but now I realize they have to make that choice for themselves just like I did.

I've definitely had some issues with my friends. Our lives were about going out and eating and drinking and I couldn't do either. I found I had to tell them about the surgery so that they didn't think I was odd if I only ordered a side for a meal or picked at my food. I found if you don't tell them they make assumptions about you that are usually a lot worse than the reality! My friends have actually been more supportive than my family. They are accommodating and don't feel threatened if I'm not binging on fast food or demand to bring my own food to a bbq. They help me Celebrate my successes and remind me to stay focused on the big picture. And being more open and honest has even brought my sister around and she's actually starting to support me in her own way. So yes, my journey has been tough, and very very slow, but well worth it.

Meliwriter you make some really good points! Thank you! I'm not banded yet, but I AM starting to eat less, and already I've noticed that some people seem upset if I don't have seconds and thirds... they actually argue with me if I say "no thank you." and this really is all about a choice I've made for me and my health, and sticking up for that is something that folks that know me definitely are NOT used to. I can see already this will be an interesting ride, but I am positive that it's gonna be better than the slow suicide of weight gain I've put myself through.

thanks for your comments!

Stan

Meliwriter, so sorry you don't have the family support. I think they are just envious.......I come from a large family. My mom and all 4 of my older sisters have had by-pass surgery. Only my mom and one sister lost and kept off all their weight. One is bigger than before her surgery, one lost and has kept off 180 pounds, but is still 60 pounds over weight and one lost 200 pounds but has gained back 60. I'm the baby sister and was always the "little" one until about 10 years ago.

I decided on the lapband because I could adjust it.....once I could start eating a whole slice of pizza - in I went for a fill. I've lost 110 pounds in 18 months and have been totally supported by my sisters and my mom. They are very happy and always tell me how great I look. But, they also know how hard I've worked to lose that much weight in 18 months (weight watchers and exercise). I think they admire that......they pretty much depended on the restriction to lose weight.

My suggestion to you is to keep your head up - don't allow them to stop you from attaining your goal. You have nothing to worry about. If I were you, I'd go get a fill and start the road to losing the rest of your weight. Losing weight is more mental then anything else and you don't want to allow anyone to get you off track!

Remember - there is always some one here that will love to give you all the support you could want!

((hugs))