Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone wake up during surgery?

I am getting banded May 16th, pending insurance approval (still waiting) and the only other surgery I had was to get my wisdom teeth out. I was put under general anesthesia for that, but I remember waking up during surgery. When I woke up, I felt like I couldn't breathe and I tried to tell someone, but there was all that stuff in my mouth. And I thought (since I was so drugged up) that I had to write them a note to tell them I couldn't breathe, so I tried to lift up my hand to make a motion that I needed to write something, but I could feel someone grab my wrist and hold it down. Then I was out again. I know I was fine and everything, but it was scary at the time. I'm afraid of waking up during lap band, and was wondering if anyone had? Thanks.

Not counting my 2 c/sections, I've had 4 surgeries, including lapband, and have never woken up during them. I do know the feeling you are talking about as I had a spinal for one of my c/sections and had the sensation that it was difficult to breathe. I talked to the anesthetist about it at the time it was happening and he helped me.

You should discuss your experience with your surgeon AND with the anesthesiologist so that they will be aware of your reaction to anesthesia. This will help both them and you. :)

They may have sedated you, but I highly doubt they gave you general anesthesia for dental work. General anesthesia means you are 100% out and intubated and on a gas anesthetic. The odds of waking up during surgery are very slim. As long as your anesthesiologist is paying attention to your plane of anesthesia you'll be fine. I anesthetize animals all the time.

I was definitely under general anesthesia for the oral surgery, not just sedated. But I will definitely talk to the surgeon and anesthesiologist. Thanks.

Im concerned about that TOO cause I definitely woke up during my vena cava surgery and I started to panic but the doctors kept telling me not to move. After awhile I jus laid there then they knocked me out again worst experience ever!!!

I woke up for everyone except the band, and my last knee replacement. I heard the pounding of the hammer with the first artificial knee, woke up and my surgeon smiled at me, and told the anesthesiologist to knock me out, he did. So I told them that I wake up easy in surgery, and they know what to do. So I didn't wake up for the other knee.

Wow...some very slipshod anesthesiologists out there! If they're paying attention and doing their job, you should never wake up during surgery. There are a number of indicators they watch for to make sure that you not only don't wake up, but that they don't put you under so deeply that they kill you.

I never woke up in any of my surgeries ( all plastics except the band) except I did wake up earlier then anyone expected after my band. I remember waking up still strapped down, naked and they were suctioning my mouth. When I moved a bit I startled everyone in the room and then they were surprised that I was very calm about it.

I dont think you have to worry they are very good usually about putting people under unless you go to a very bad place.

Wow, I really can't believe that so many people have woken up. As I said anesthesiologists are trained to monitor your plane of anesthesia, so your"e not too deep nor too light. I would make sure never to use those anesthesiologists again!

They may have sedated you, but I highly doubt they gave you general anesthesia for dental work. General anesthesia means you are 100% out and intubated and on a gas anesthetic. The odds of waking up during surgery are very slim. As long as your anesthesiologist is paying attention to your plane of anesthesia you'll be fine. I anesthetize animals all the time.

I have worked in the dental field for over 13 years and agree with this. In 99% of wisdom teeth extractions general anes. is not used. Unless you were at a hospital and had an actual anesthesiologist, you were IV sedated or "twilight sedation." Many patients ask to be "put under" or "knocked out" during wisdom teeth extractions, but are not put under the same way as they would be with abdominal surgery. The difference is, with IV sedation the Dr. can tell you to open your mouth and you will, you just won't remember anything. With general anes., if they told you to open your mouth you would not respond. (simple explaination, but you get the idea)

In my own situation, I had my wisdom teeth removed at the oral surgeon's office under IV sedation and had no problems.

I have had 4 surgeries under general anesthesia. In all 4 cases I had the feeling they gave me too much. I had the feeling like they gave me enough to knock out an elephant when it would have only taken a tiny bit and I would have been way under. All we can do is trust that the anesthesiologist does the job properly and I would bet the majority of them do to avoid loss of life and legal issues.

I woke up on the following surgeries:

1. Hernia Repair

2. Hernia repair (again) He pulled on the sewing, and I sat wright up, and just looked at him. Scared the crap out of him. He told me to lay back down that he's not finished. (with his hands still in my abdomen) I did and he started to say something to the Anesthesiologist, and I went out.

3 knee Arthroscopic Surgery I woke up to find a women at the front of my surgery bed, up in the air,,, DANCING ON A TABLE, TO MOTOWN MUSIC. The Surgeon said is she up? she looked down on me, and said yep ! she's up. So the surgeon said to me look up here at the T.V Shirley. I'm playing PAC MAN with your knee. You can't even begin to imagine how I felt. That turned in to a STAPH INFECTION.

4. Knee replacement I woke up from the banging of a hammer, and I thought you don't even want to know.

All these are True, and forever in my memory.

I woke up on the following surgeries:

1. Hernia Repair

2. Hernia repair (again) He pulled on the sewing, and I sat wright up, and just looked at him. Scared the crap out of him. He told me to lay back down that he's not finished. (with his hands still in my abdomen) I did and he started to say something to the Anesthesiologist, and I went out.

3 knee Arthroscopic Surgery I woke up to find a women at the front of my surgery bed, up in the air,,, DANCING ON A TABLE, TO MOTOWN MUSIC. The Surgeon said is she up? she looked down on me, and said yep ! she's up. So the surgeon said to me look up here at the T.V Shirley. I'm playing PAC MAN with your knee. You can't even begin to imagine how I felt. That turned in to a STAPH INFECTION.

4. Knee replacement I woke up from the banging of a hammer, and I thought you don't even want to know.

All these are True, and forever in my memory.

If I were any of those surgeons I would have had a heart attack right there!:scared:

If I were any of those surgeons I would have had a heart attack right there!:scared:

The Hernia Repair Surgeon was not far from it. Scared him to Death.

It can happen. There are monitors in use now (I don't know if all hospitals use them), that monitor your brain for level of consciousness. It helps the anesthesiologist quite a bit.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/01/21/2-in-1000-may-be-awake-during-anesthesia/UPI-44931295662555/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/26/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main651475.shtml?source=search_story

One time, the anesthesiologist paralyzed my sister before putting her to sleep and intubating her. NOT a good last memory before drifting off!!

That's interesting. I did speak to the doc who scoped my knee about the pac man chewing threw my knee, I told him to pump some quarters into that knee !?

I was 1/2 out of it.

I hope this helps out because it sure is scary to the surgeon. Surprised, and shocked that their patient woke up.

But I remember every detail.

I wish I could have been under for a reason, woke up, and would have been educated say for a test. You don't miss a beat.