Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no homemade protein shakes?

I'm being banded on May 20th. My doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet, but I've decided to put myself on a Protein shake diet starting Monday (12 days pre-op). I've read in several posts that homemade Protein shakes are not ok. Why? What's the difference as long as you are monitoring the amount of sugar, carbs, etc.? Also, has anyone ever tried the fruit punch flavored Protein whey? I'm trying to choose between that and vanilla flavor.

Thanks for any input!

I never heard of that unless you are blending them because after banding you are not supposed to use a blender due to the added air in the Protein when blending. I guess you could go way over on calories if you make them yourself and not really paying attention but some 2% milk, Protein Powder, and fruit I dont see any issues with that.

wow...ive never heard of no pre op diet...i would be very careful if i were u..i know that i have learned that every doctor is different...some are sticter than others..I do know that from study and homework, a preop diet is not only to help u out in the long run, but aids in post op recovery time as well....I also learned that by doing a preop u shrink ur liver and stomach, but that ur liver lies on top of ur stomach and by shinking it , even a little, helps the surgeon be able to get to ur stomach easier. Also by shrinking ur stomach and all, aids in recovery-less swelling, irritation...my preop diet of Clear Liquids with protien shakes-3-4 a day...for 2 weeks helped me out immensely.... I know for a fact that by doing that I breezed thru the recovery...I also talked to those thru my doc office and they seemed to have the same results...my doctor how ever has had the band himself and knows from past...by being so strict, it is challenging at times...but in the end-i have yet to have any issues...mentally it was hard-either way...but i do know that it has taught me a lot....wishing u luck...I had my first fill 2 days ago...4.9 cc in a 10 cc band....no issues yet...my doc has me do 2 clear days...2 full liquid days...then back to what u are able to tolerate...i have seen where some can eat again the same day....but just from the swelling and all-i can see the reasoning behind taking it slow...less self sabotage...lol

I didnt have any preop diet and your liver does not shrink that is a lie. Everyones liver is the same size unless you have a liver condition. Every surgery I have seen everyones liver and stomach are the same size no matter how fat they are. It is just the drs way of making you do liquids and be miserable for two weeks before surgery. Eat and enjoy yourself until the night before the night before surgery.

Mixing Protein Shakes at home is fine as long as you choose low cal/fat/carb versions. All Protein powders are not created equal. I used ones that are 110-120 cal, 24 g protein, less 4 g carbs, less 3 g fat. Perhaps the "no homemade shake" rule you heard is referring to not making dessert milkshakes.

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'm going to go with the low sugar/carb/fat vanilla Protein whey. It should go nicely with any fruits I mix it with. I'll use skim milk for extra liquid.

Hun, i would listen to your doctor. Yes people on here can give you advice, but unless they are your MD then for certain things I would take what they say with a grain of salt. SMH at some of the responses... best wishes in your journey!

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'm going to go with the low sugar/carb/fat vanilla Protein whey. It should go nicely with any fruits I mix it with. I'll use skim milk for extra liquid.

I didnt have any preop diet and your liver does not shrink that is a lie. Everyones liver is the same size unless you have a liver condition. Every surgery I have seen everyones liver and stomach are the same size no matter how fat they are. It is just the drs way of making you do liquids and be miserable for two weeks before surgery. Eat and enjoy yourself until the night before the night before surgery.

Who on earth told you that? Under normal conditions triglycerides (fat) occupy 5% of the liver. However, obesity (along with alcoholism, steroid use, diabetes and a few other conditions) causes that concentration to go up resulting in fatty infiltration of the liver. As much as we believe that the first place we lose weight is in our boobs its simply not true. The first place we lose fat is in the liver. Losing a few pounds pre-op is very important. It makes the surgery much easier for the doctor resulting in fewer complications for you.

I would hope that your doctor has considered YOUR health history and condition in wether or not you were ordered onto a pre-op diet. Not all doctors require one. If I hadn't been ordered to be on one and been told that my surgery would be canceled if I gained weight, I would not have done it. It was a dreadful two weeks in my life.

Why are you wanting to do a pre-op if you weren't ordered to do one? Just curious?

I've never heard that about not being able to mix your own shakes. Many on here use different powders. Post-op, you'll have to be mindful of adding fruit as the fibers that don't blend well can cause problems during the immediate post-op phases. But then, I am not a shake expert. I was only told to use them for my pre-op diet. My surgeon doesn't want me using them as part of my normal diet. He'd rather I eat my calories than drink them. Solid foods hold us much longer.

To the original poster I would speak with your doctor about adding fruit. Presurgery if you are on a liquid diet they may not want you haveing fruit. Yes it is natural sugar and carbs but will increase your calories. Also post op I was allowed to have Protein shakes but no fruit. After surgery you don't want your stomach moving around to digest the fruit (even though it's been blended).

I would ask your doctor/nutritionist what Protein powders they would recommend. My doctor said whey Isolate powder (not all whey isoalate is the same, isolate is a more concentrated protein that is easier for your body to digest.)

I buy my protein at Vitamin Shoppe, I find their prices much better than GNC. People that work there are pretty good and they know what is popular. And by popular what tastes good and does'nt get returned. They have a return policy that if you try and don't like it you can return for store credit. I was told chocolate is always better than vanilla because chocolate is a stronger flavor and it is harder for vanilla to overcome the protein taste.

I buy Dymatize Elite Gourmet Vanilla, and Gold Standard double chocolate. I'm 7 months post surgery and for Breakfast every day I add half a scoup of vanilla whey isolate to a container chobani greek yoghurt (with benefiber, and splendra), and 1/8 cup of kashi go lean.

I would hope that your doctor has considered YOUR health history and condition in wether or not you were ordered onto a pre-op diet. Not all doctors require one. If I hadn't been ordered to be on one and been told that my surgery would be canceled if I gained weight, I would not have done it. It was a dreadful two weeks in my life.

Why are you wanting to do a pre-op if you weren't ordered to do one? Just curious?

I've never heard that about not being able to mix your own shakes. Many on here use different powders. Post-op, you'll have to be mindful of adding fruit as the fibers that don't blend well can cause problems during the immediate post-op phases. But then, I am not a shake expert. I was only told to use them for my pre-op diet. My surgeon doesn't want me using them as part of my normal diet. He'd rather I eat my calories than drink them. Solid foods hold us much longer.

I think my doctor doesn't order a pre-op diet because he knows that patients will have a very difficult time sticking to it, given then nature of why they're getting surgery in the first place. I just think it's something that couldn't hurt. I'm trying to prepare my body for surgery by decreasing the fat in/around my liver. I'm also trying to mentally prepare myself for post-op when I will have to live on liquids for a while. Either way, it won't hurt me to try and lose a few pounds before surgery.

Hun, i would listen to your doctor. Yes people on here can give you advice, but unless they are your MD then for certain things I would take what they say with a grain of salt. SMH at some of the responses... best wishes in your journey!

Thanks. I just feel like my doctor didn't order a pre-op diet because he didn't think it was a realistic expectation. There must be some benefit though. I definitely know that it's a benefit to clear as much fat from your liver as possible. I'm just willing to do whatever it takes to prepare myself for optimal results!

I think my doctor doesn't order a pre-op diet because he knows that patients will have a very difficult time sticking to it, given then nature of why they're getting surgery in the first place. I just think it's something that couldn't hurt. I'm trying to prepare my body for surgery by decreasing the fat in/around my liver. I'm also trying to mentally prepare myself for post-op when I will have to live on liquids for a while. Either way, it won't hurt me to try and lose a few pounds before surgery.

If he felt it were necessary for you, he'd have ordered it. (My opinion only!). Yes, it cannot hurt, that is for sure. But you are torturing yourself! laugh.gif It IS a good jumpstart for weight loss. I lost 8 lbs during the two weeks. But I was also a miserable beyotch. Just ask my hubby.

The good thing for you is, if you hate it, you can stop. Since he didn't order it. Or you can add in some lean Protein. That won't affect the liver. Fresh broccoli helps the liver, too.

Best wishes to you for a great surgery and speedy recovery!

Thanks Cocoabean! I think knowing that I don't have to do it will actually help me stick to my plan better. I don't like being told what I can or can't do! biggrin.gif I'm just going to focus on eating healthfully and getting plenty of Protein. Sometimes I think we focus so closely on the tiny details that we lose sight of the big picture!

-Amber