Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no homemade protein shakes?

Who on earth told you that? Under normal conditions triglycerides (fat) occupy 5% of the liver. However, obesity (along with alcoholism, steroid use, diabetes and a few other conditions) causes that concentration to go up resulting in fatty infiltration of the liver. As much as we believe that the first place we lose weight is in our boobs its simply not true. The first place we lose fat is in the liver. Losing a few pounds pre-op is very important. It makes the surgery much easier for the doctor resulting in fewer complications for you.

fluffytofabulous is evidently an expert and highly opinionated. I would take anything she says with a big grain of salt. From reading some of her replies to people she seems a bit extreme IMHO :P

fluffytofabulous is evidently an expert and highly opinionated. I would take anything she says with a big grain of salt. From reading some of her replies to people she seems a bit extreme IMHO :P

The more I read, the more I think you may be right! I hate the idea of people coming here looking for help and getting misinformation!

I really dont give a rats ass what any of you think. First of all I have worked in surgery with bariatric surgeons and have watched many surgeries. Every single persons liver and stomach were the same exact size. Yes there is fat there but its not the organ its self. Dr. Paul Wizman who is a bariatric surgeon performing well over 3,000 surgeries, Dr. George Webb, Dr. Deperi and the whole north florida surgeons group said that no matter how obese any of their patients have been their liver and stomach have been the same size. Most preop diets are to prepare you for the obvious after wards. There are many surgeons that dont require a preop diet. It surely is not to shrink the liver. Your organs dont shrink they may lose fatty tissue around them but they do not shrink. If your organs shrink you would not be able to live. Seems that I am not the only one opinionated. Since you all like to ball bust people for their opinions seems your not much better. I have a right to my opinion which comes from knowledge not google look ups. I post what I know for fact. I dont care if you dont like it or what ever it is a public forum and if you ask a question then expect an answer and it doesnt matter if you like it or not.

In what capacity were you in the OR? According to your profile, you work in oncology. What does cancer have to do with bariatrics? I know what my medical background is. Just wondering about yours. So, I think I'll follow njgirl32's advise and....

grain-of-salt.jpg

I'm being banded on May 20th. My doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet, but I've decided to put myself on a Protein shake diet starting Monday (12 days pre-op). I've read in several posts that homemade Protein shakes are not ok. Why? What's the difference as long as you are monitoring the amount of sugar, carbs, etc.? Also, has anyone ever tried the fruit punch flavored Protein whey? I'm trying to choose between that and vanilla flavor.

Thanks for any input!

I don't see why not. Personally, the premade ones just taste better. The powder is so grainy.

Yes I work in oncology now. I worked in surgery in the OR as a nurse many times over. What difference does it make what I do now. I have well over 30 years in surgical experience I really dont care what you take with a grain of salt. You give your opinion I give my facts. I have seen it, worked in it, and have seen probably over 500 bariatric surgeries from the band to the bypass to the sleeve. No ones stomach or liver on that screen were of different size ever unless like I said they have liver issues such as cirrhosis. . I got out of sugery because I dont want to do it anymore just like many people change their medical backgrounds. I really could care less if you want my opinion or not. I will post what I want whenever I want.

Yes I work in oncology now. I worked in surgery in the OR as a nurse many times over. What difference does it make what I do now. I have well over 30 years in surgical experience I really dont care what you take with a grain of salt. You give your opinion I give my facts. I have seen it, worked in it, and have seen probably over 500 bariatric surgeries from the band to the bypass to the sleeve. No ones stomach or liver on that screen were of different size ever unless like I said they have liver issues such as cirrhosis. . I got out of sugery because I dont want to do it anymore just like many people change their medical backgrounds. I really could care less if you want my opinion or not. I will post what I want whenever I want.

You're 48 years old and have well over 30 years surgical experience? Exactly how many years before your 18th birthday did you start??????? I got my ADN in 1980. I went back to school 10 years later and got my BSN. I don't know who you think your snowing but its getting pretty deep!!

I have never heard you cant have homemade shakes before! I think that is retarded! I live in a country where we cant get premade shakes like Atkins etc. I use high Protein low carb shake mix like this

http://alienbanditinkorea.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/presents-presents-presents-bikini-photo/

I mix it with milk or Water some ice cubes and sometimes some fruit and I am good to go :)

Hi, I have read a lot of posts from people who's clinics or doctors asked them to start a liquid pre-op diet... This is extremely hard. I went to CIBO clinic in Toronto, they told me that a pre-op diet is instrumental in preparing your liver and stomach for the band (and probably also your head) The difference with CIBO is they didn't require me to go on full liquids, my pre-op diet was low fat dairy (kept to a minimum) Protein and veggies, excluding, potatoes, squash, corn, carrots and peas, since these are high carb/sugar veggies. This was a lot easier to follow and didn't result in any depression. I ate whenever I felt hungry. I found near the end of my two week pre-op diet that dipping raw veggies in hummus is extremely fulfilling, it almost gave me the felling of eating carbs. If you are going to go on a Protein shake diet then try to find a shake that has more than 25 grams of Protein and less than 10 grams of carbs. But if I were you I would stick to veggies and protein - on this you can even eat out.. I went out for dinner with friends the night before my surgery and ordered a grilled chicken breast with roasted red peppers/mushrooms and broccoli no sauces or butter.. it was great and had not problems with getting my band the next day.

I'm being banded on May 20th. My doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet, but I've decided to put myself on a Protein Shake diet starting Monday (12 days pre-op). I've read in several posts that homemade protein shakes are not ok. Why? What's the difference as long as you are monitoring the amount of sugar, carbs, etc.? Also, has anyone ever tried the fruit punch flavored protein whey? I'm trying to choose between that and vanilla flavor.

Thanks for any input!

You're 48 years old and have well over 30 years surgical experience? Exactly how many years before your 18th birthday did you start??????? I got my ADN in 1980. I went back to school 10 years later and got my BSN. I don't know who you think your snowing but its getting pretty deep!!

She was a child prodigy like Doogie Howser! She probably even did some stand in surgery too!

I also see she had complications during her surgery and had to stay in the hospital an extra 3 days for her band.

"I am not a doctor, but I play one on Lapbandtalk.com"

She was a child prodigy like Doogie Howser! She probably even did some stand in surgery too!

I also see she had complications during her surgery and had to stay in the hospital an extra 3 days for her band.

"I am not a doctor, but I play one on Lapbandtalk.com"

OMG!!!! You are too funny! LMAO!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm being banded on May 20th. My doctor doesn't require a pre-op diet, but I've decided to put myself on a Protein shake diet starting Monday (12 days pre-op). I've read in several posts that homemade Protein shakes are not ok. Why? What's the difference as long as you are monitoring the amount of sugar, carbs, etc.? Also, has anyone ever tried the fruit punch flavored protein whey? I'm trying to choose between that and vanilla flavor.

Thanks for any input!

i'm no doctor, but I don't see why not,, just make it healthy and low in calories, maybe use Water instead of milk if possible. mix some whey protein with say half a banana, puree, (if i am incorrect someone please chime in)

and fruit punch whey?? i cant imagine having that day in day out, vanilla is much less offensive, and can be blended with many different things, but its all personal preference.

I'be been an RN since I was barely-turned 20, but I am a bit of a prodigy. ;) The only RN's I've worked with who have been an RN since they were younger than that were OLD OLD OLD school diploma nurses.

ATHM, are you n RN, LPN? (just curious)

What was your role in the OR exactly? Were you the surgeon, first assist, scrub, nurse anes, or circulating nurse? How are basing your liver and stomach measurements? I find it highly unlikely "everyone had the same size" since organ size varies from individual to individual naturally. I know from my own OR experience as a circulating nurse that it's very hard to visualize inside the abdomen unless you are directly patient-side and those positions are quickly taken up by the direct patient-care team and OR tables of instruments.

_________

Topic Starter:

Liver size can and often does increase with obesity and the pre-op diet does help reduce the size to make surgery easier and safer. I myself had surgical complications 5 1/2 yrs ago directly related to fatty liver (which is due to my obesity).

The preop diet was very hard for me, but I'm glad I did it. I lost 12 pounds that week, had no liver-related complcations during surgery, and I truly do feel it helped prepare me emotionally for the dietary restrictions that followed surgery. I don't see any reason you shouldn't put yourself on a preop diet if you feel it's what you want to do. :D