Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exactly one week post lap band surgery, I have a question about nausea and diet

Hi Fellow Lap Banders,

I'm new to this forum and glad to be part of it.

I was banded last Thursday 4/21/11. I went in for my folllow up appt. yesterday and dr. told me I could start solid foods. That was great but should I really be eating solid foods already? I mean he's the doctor, right?

Another question, for the past two nights I have had nausea and a little gas. Will that pass with time? I am only a week post op.

Hi!!! I was banded on the same day and I called my doctor Tuesday to see if I could eat mushies and they told me absolutely not. They also told me that my band does have some Fluid in it and that I could really hurt myself. I know every doctor is different, but I'm almost afraid to put something solid in my stomach (even though I'm hating this stage)....I would take it slow and just be careful

Hi!!! I was banded on the same day and I called my doctor Tuesday to see if I could eat mushies and they told me absolutely not. They also told me that my band does have some Fluid in it and that I could really hurt myself. I know every doctor is different, but I'm almost afraid to put something solid in my stomach (even though I'm hating this stage)....I would take it slow and just be careful

Hi!!!! great we share our lap band dates. Thanks for your reply.

Well the liquid diet phase was hard but I could do it a little longer. food is going down well, I do get full fast....thats pretty cool!

But I think at night I will stick to a Soup for a while longer. I absolutely can not do the Protein shakes!!! Well I can do Herbalife Protein shakes from a nutrition store that makes them in my hometown...their delicious!

You're so welcome!!! Protein Shakes are so hard to stomach for me, even herbalife! I think I'm just so tired of them. I bought the special k ones, but they are loaded with sugar (18g). I was told ensure is the best. I don't know how they taste though. I'm on musies now and have been eating salsa that I've made. I'm trying to get as much Protein in as possible though. I know your hair can fall out if you don't get at least 60g of it daily. How are you feeling??? I'm still in lots of pain and I become extremely tired very quickly.

You both might try drinking the Premiere brand of ready-to-drink shakes they sell at costco. 11 ounces, both chocolate and vanilla flavors, 30g Protein, 5g carbs, 3g of fat, and only 1g of sugar. They taste really good, too. You can also buy them direct: http://www.premiernutrition.com/products/protein_shake.html This brand is the only Protein shake I can handle. I drink one every morning on my way to work - it gives me a great jumpstart for my daily nutrition.

Good luck!

Dave

Hi Everyone. I'm getting banded May 3rd. Actually my surgeon recommends start solids as soon as you can tolerate it. after the banding is done. My surgeon is awesome and I've seen some wonderful results from alot of patients.

Listen to the doc. My doc only has his patient on liquids two days

then sofy food two days then back to regular protian foods. he says he want our 60-80 grams of Protein to be an actual food. He says its important to train our bodies for our new lifestyle. I was happy about it because after that pre opt diet i was so tried of Protein shakes sugar free popsicles and Jello. i havnt had a protein shake since 3 days post opt and i'm never turning back.

You're so welcome!!! Protein shakes are so hard to stomach for me, even herbalife! I think I'm just so tired of them. I bought the special k ones, but they are loaded with sugar (18g). I was told ensure is the best. I don't know how they taste though. I'm on musies now and have been eating salsa that I've made. I'm trying to get as much Protein in as possible though. I know your hair can fall out if you don't get at least 60g of it daily. How are you feeling??? I'm still in lots of pain and I become extremely tired very quickly.

Hi Eloisa

I'm glad to hear I'n not the only one who doesn't like Protein Shakes. I was beginning to think everyone liked them....Yuck!!!

I'm doing really well, my incisions are almost healed and no pain at all. I have been pretty active, went out last night with friends and danced a few songs.

But I still have some nausea, especially at night. Not sure what's up with that. Doc really couldn't give me an answer when I asked him.

Any problems with that on your part?

Hi Everyone. I'm getting banded May 3rd. Actually my surgeon recommends start solids as soon as you can tolerate it. after the banding is done. My surgeon is awesome and I've seen some wonderful results from alot of patients.

Hi LoriAnn81,

Yeah my doctor pretty much said the same thing, I did follow his recommendations and some solids are going down better than others. But I gues thats to be expected.

Good Luck and let me know how it all went :)

Every surgeon is diffrent. What may work for me may not work for you. With that being said, if you trusted him do place your lapband, trust his judgement on when to intoduce solids. My surgeon only had me on a clear liquid diet while I was in the hospital (23hours) then I went to full liquids for days 2-7 and now I'm back on a full diet for weeks 2-6 with restriction of 2oz per meal then on to 4oz after week 6.

I really didn't have any nausea...I had a script just in case, but I never filled it. glad I didn't, that would've been a waste of 35 bucks!:lol:

Have you tried the gasX strips? I purchased 2boxes and have yet to use them...I have been on a nonstop walk so they haven't been needed. Good luck...and I'm another band buddy banded on the 21st as well!

Hi Eloisa

I'm glad to hear I'n not the only one who doesn't like Protein Shakes. I was beginning to think everyone liked them....Yuck!!!

I'm doing really well, my incisions are almost healed and no pain at all. I have been pretty active, went out last night with friends and danced a few songs.

But I still have some nausea, especially at night. Not sure what's up with that. Doc really couldn't give me an answer when I asked him.

Any problems with that on your part?

Hi! I'm sorry. I'm just reading this! I'm doing well! I'm on day 3 of insanity and it's kicking my butt!!! I definitely need a challenge though. I'm not having nausea. I wonder what it could be???? Any ideas?