Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearly 2 years post lapband; semi failure

Hi All,

Well, I was banded in September of 2009. Have lost about 45-50 lbs, but have not lost an ounce in well over a year. The good news is that I haven't regained anything to speak of (maybe a pound or 2, but not more). My band is totally full and when I called OSU it seemed to me they were not interested in helping at all. The nutritionist there suggested I either needed to adjust my diet (eat less when I'm already hungry most of the time) or "step up" my exercise. When I heard those two options, I just gave up and have not tried to talk to them since nor have I been back for any further followup.

At this point, I feel like I've partially failed, but then, I AM down 45-50 lbs and that's not nothing; just less than expected. I still need to lose at least another 35-40 lbs and have absolutely no hope.

I do think OSU failed me in a BIG way. They are so oriented to GB that even the initial diets were not appropriate for bandsters. I think that has improved since.

Has anyone else out there had similar experiences???

Well I have been stuck at 70lbs since I quit smoking last May but I never had a fill until a year out. Thats the trouble with getting fills so quickly because now you have nothing to work with. I would say maybe go get an unfill for a while then go back to getting fills again. Do you still have restriction? Are you eating a lot? Just some thoughts. I only have 3 cc's in my band at a year and 4 months post op. I wont get another fill for a very long time.

I was wondering if you feel restriction or are you overfilled and relying on slider food? If you can afford a personal trainer for a few weeks it is a wonderful investment...they don't just exercise with you they help supervise your diet and provide motivation.

I wish you the best..

Mimi

Hi All,

Well, I was banded in September of 2009. Have lost about 45-50 lbs, but have not lost an ounce in well over a year. The good news is that I haven't regained anything to speak of (maybe a pound or 2, but not more). My band is totally full and when I called OSU it seemed to me they were not interested in helping at all. The nutritionist there suggested I either needed to adjust my diet (eat less when I'm already hungry most of the time) or "step up" my exercise. When I heard those two options, I just gave up and have not tried to talk to them since nor have I been back for any further followup.

At this point, I feel like I've partially failed, but then, I AM down 45-50 lbs and that's not nothing; just less than expected. I still need to lose at least another 35-40 lbs and have absolutely no hope.

I do think OSU failed me in a BIG way. They are so oriented to GB that even the initial diets were not appropriate for bandsters. I think that has improved since.

I think you should go back for follow up and get the ball rolling again. When you say your band is full you mean you have 10cc of Fluid in a 10cc band?

It might not be what you want to hear, but I think your nutritionist is right. You need to change your diet and/or up your excersise. Weight loss comes down to burning more calories than your taking in. Going on a liquid diet (high protien shakes) may jump start something for you. I find that can help me get back on track. Good luck!

Your band is 'totally' full...as in you have a 10cc band and there's 10cc Fluid in it...and you're still hungry? Do you have any issues with physical restriction because a band that is completely full would likely cause problems with stuck episodes on some foods. So, a few suggestions.

I would either find a new band doctor...or *make* OSU work with you. In either case, the first thing you need to do is find out if it really is full since you're still hungry. They can do this easily enough by drawing out the Fluid to see what's there. This would at least rule out a leak.

Then, make sure *you* are following the rules. Many surgeons recommend a low carb diet so a typical day might be 1-2 eggs for Breakfast and 3-4 oz of Protein and 1/2-1 cup vegies for lunch and dinner. No slider foods. No drinking with meals.

Then pay attention to your body. Are you really 'hungry'...or is it just a desire to eat? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference at first and we need to really pay close attention. If you think you're hungry, have a cup of hot tea or coffee or bouillion...or even hot Water. It soothes the stomach (and even the mind) long enough to determine whether it's true hunger. Sometimes it's just the ticket for getting you to your next meal.

Is it possible the band has failed you? Yep...but I wouldn't go there just yet.

Hi All,

I'm sad you feel you're too fat forever. It's just not true. I was banded in Mexico in September 2009 and after a very slow start, I lost 90 pounds but gained 25 back this past year. Mexico bandsters sometimes have to travel long distances for fills/follow-ups and it's easy to backslide when support is 200 miles away. When my restriction became negligible, I slid back into fast food and weight gain. Once upon a time 25 lbs wouldn't have seemed so terrible, even acceptable. That was before 09/09. I could feel all eyes at the office noticing my slow gain. It was humiliating. I finally snapped out of it and made an appointment for a fill. Now I know what restriction is! I don't know how I ever lost 90 lbs - it wasn't because of the band. Now I KNOW tight. One bad move with a bite of food and I'm running for relief.

I realize you're fully restricted but could you be favoring easy calories, the ones that don't take any effort? At one point, Wendy's Frosties became my favorite go-to food, Breakfast, lunch and dinner! Then I graduated to Frosties with Oreos. It wasn't long before the .99 Spicy Nuggets were added to my order. A little unpleasantness afterward didn't deter me but eventually the weight gain did.

I say if you haven't gained any weight, you're in great shape and have EVERY reason to be proud. Don't be so hard on yourself. We've beat ourselves up for our entire fat lives and it has to come to an end. Try those recommended changes. I bet they'll empower you to change things even more. Also, I'd change my online name to FatNeverMore. It will come true.

Also, I'd change my online name to FatNeverMore. It will come true.

This was my first thought when I read the post.

It might not be what you want to hear, but I think your nutritionist is right. You need to change your diet and/or up your excersise. Weight loss comes down to burning more calories than your taking in. Going on a liquid diet (high protien shakes) may jump start something for you. I find that can help me get back on track. Good luck!

I agree, it might sound harsh but your nutritionist is right. The way you say "when I heard that I just gave up" gives the impression that you're really not facing up to the work this takes. It might just be an (incorrect) impression but the way you say it sounds like you really do need to reset your attitude a little. For me, it has taken running an hour a day, using willpower to stay away from sugar, etc. Believe me, I can still well and truly overeat when I want to, I can down fattening drinks, eat as many cakes, pastries and Cookies as I like, yet ironically take an hour to eat an apple. That doesnt mean I do it! You do need restriction but it doesnt do the whole job, most of it comes from you. This is dieting and exercising old school style, discouraging as that may sound. The band does nothing more than give you a reasonable chance of success at it.

You havent done that badly you know. 50lb or so in a year is great - steady healthy loss and you've kept it off. You're probably 3/4 of the way there already, just tighten up your habits, resolve to work at the exercise and I bet you can lose more.

I agree, it might sound harsh but your nutritionist is right. The way you say "when I heard that I just gave up" gives the impression that you're really not facing up to the work this takes. It might just be an (incorrect) impression but the way you say it sounds like you really do need to reset your attitude a little. For me, it has taken running an hour a day, using willpower to stay away from sugar, etc. Believe me, I can still well and truly overeat when I want to, I can down fattening drinks, eat as many cakes, pastries and Cookies as I like, yet ironically take an hour to eat an apple. That doesnt mean I do it! You do need restriction but it doesnt do the whole job, most of it comes from you. This is dieting and exercising old school style, discouraging as that may sound. The band does nothing more than give you a reasonable chance of success at it.

You havent done that badly you know. 50lb or so in a year is great - steady healthy loss and you've kept it off. You're probably 3/4 of the way there already, just tighten up your habits, resolve to work at the exercise and I bet you can lose more.

I agree completely unfortunately the band is just a useful tool to help you on this journey. I don't know your habits or diet. We have all been there otherwise we wouldn't have a band, lol. It is hard but you can become healthy again. It is probably the most important thing you could ever do for yourself and your family. I have found that I must eliminate all surgery and high carb foods from our home and my diet in order to be successful. The first couple weeks of this was the hardest. I felt bad and had horrible cravings. My doctor said I was detoxing. I increased my Protein and that seemed to help. I use no sugar carnation instant breakfast 2 packs and skim milk for my breakfast. This was also my pre-opt diet. I highly suggest going on a Liquid Protein shake diet for a week or 5 days. It seems crazy but it does help me when I get stuck. It also helps my pouch shrink a bit and I get my head in the right place. Don't give up. You have lost 50 lbs that is great and not easy. You can do this!! It took time to gain. It will take time and work to lose it. But you will get there! Congratulation on your first 50lbs. Keep up the good work:) I live in Oklahoma and use Dr Fisher in Tulsa and Dr. Kirk in Owasso. They have been great with me.

I got my band 3/9/09, I haven't lost much in the lastr year. There are several reasons for this. First, I got to dang happy to be able to wear a size 12 jean!. Second, I got lazy, I watched the scale and as long as it didn't go up to high (190) I would only fight to get it down in the 180's. Last weekend I took refeltion of me. I don't know how much is in my band, I think I have had 4 fills and 1 slight unfill. After putting thought into it, I realized that I wasn't getting in my Water, I was seldom hungry, had no real interest in food and drank way to much coffee. Coffee used to be my go to to stave off hunger. I made a promise to myself that I would eat/get Protein as I should, drink my water and give it two weeks to see if there would be a change. I was 180 last Sat. and 176.5 this morning. I wasn't supposed to get on the scale until Mon., but I had a horriblely stressful week. Yesterday I couldn't eat the way I should and was worried about the effect of the only meal I had. :o This is doable and I will do it. I've got a wedding to go to in Sept. and I plan to be down a size, down to 165 and in some hot butt shoes! I will make an appointment with the doc for the end of the month.

Hi All,

I noticed the date of your post, and was wondering how you are doing now. Hope you are doing OK and that you got the right support and answers to go forward again.

i was banded on 10/31/06 Lost weight, gained it back, do to the fault of poor aftercare.... I found a new surgeon, they put me under Fluoroscopy, and we are now rolling. I also journal my diet, and exercise.

I hope you gave yourself a calorie limit to follow, and stick with it, and if it's to high then yep you can cut back in different foods. Some stuff goes a long way.

Also look for another surgeon, and get checked out. They will also give you new guidelines.