Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had it with this fill process, fill doc, fill BS!!!!

Ok, so I have been feeling like maybe I was top tight since my fill on Thursday (PB’s a little, had some sliming, REALLY sore throat this am possibly from reflux, etc), so I call Dr. Maese’s office and they said if my throat hurt to come in. So I leave work and I come in and he makes me swallow the barium and he’s like "it’s going right through, you actually need more fill, blah blah blah" and I was like "my throat hurts" and he just went off about how I wasn’t going to lose weight, I needed more fill, I’m not having reflux (I burped when I drank the barium b/c I have been burping a lot and he said he didn’t "See" my burp on the flouro even though I think I know I burped), and he had his nurse do a swallow to show me how I should look if I was tight enough and yelled at me for eating potatoes and went on and on about how skinny his nurse is and how she weighed more than me to begin with, etc. Basically I couldn’t get a word in edgewise and all I was there for was my throat. He doesn’t’ understand that I care more about not developing Barrets esophagus than I do about looking good in a bikini. Sure I want to lose weight but I would rather it be slow then feel the way I feel right now. I just really cant stand his egotistical rude A-hole attitude anymore, but I have no choice but to go to him b/c my insurance will cover fills from him b/c he bills it as a flouro (and Dr. Barker doesn’t have flouro so he cant bill it that way). Does anyone in the Dallas area have a doc that does fills under flouro for patients that weren’t banded by him/her. So, anyways, my throat still hurts so bad and I am waiting for Dr Barker to call me back. I’m going to tell him I just can’t see Dr Mease if the 2 of them are going to keep telling me different things - Barker says get .2 cc’s fill at a time, Maese wants to fill me up to the brim, Barker says eat 6 small meals per day, Maese says don’t eat after 5 pm. I’m so annoyed with this. If he would have just given me small frequent fills like I asked I’d be fine, but no he has to jam all the Fluid he can in there and ignore my medical symptoms and just yell at me or go on about how hot I’ll be when I lose the weight. Then I asked him about nexium, he said sure take nexium, I asked should I crush it? He said "you’re so open you could swallow a whole steak." Ok, can you not just answer my ? Like a respectable doctor??!?!?!?! GRRRRRRRR. I’m so annoyed. And, shouldn’t he take some fill out if a patient requests it - he refused to take any out and wanted to put more in!! Oh, what to do?

Laura -

Good grief - I'd find another doc, too. Here's a number to the surgery center of Richardson - they use flouro for fills I believe. I don't know their policy on doing fills for patients not banded by their docs, but it would be worth a try! The center is on Coit a little past Beltline.

972-331-9500

Good luck!

Kim

thanks so much for the advise! I am thru with Maese! I called surgery center or Richardson and they can do my fills there and bill my ins as a flouro and it's ok b/c Dr Barker does surgery there now too!!! Yeah, no more ObNOXIOUS Dr Maese!!! Ok, So i am just going to wait and see what Dr Barker says about whether I need an unfill or nexium or what.

Gosh that would make me absolutely furious. I'd tell him to ram his fill right where the sun dont shine, but I'm ah, not backward in coming forward.

There seem to be so many doctors in this game who just have no empathy with what it's like a) to be obese and B) to be banded. I'm really nervous about fills, not the needle part but I dont want to live on too restricted a diet and I dont want to be vomiting. Ok, so maybe I'm wrong and I do have to be more filled than I think I desire but yelling at me and trying to humiliate me is not the way to get that through, letting me get to it in my own time is. I'd see the other doctor and I wouldnt be afraid to say why - because to me it sounds like what he really feels is disgust at fat people and their lack of self control, otherwise why would he treat you that way?. He's not in it for the love of helping people that's for sure.

I'm really sorry you've been treated that way, you dont deserve it. Getting your head around the steps you need to take in being successful with a band is hard hard work and everybody has a different physical response to it too.

Laura, the SCOR does a good job of doing fills. That is where I get my fills done. You have 3 people, that their only job is to do fills. There is not even a doctor in the room. They are very good at what they do and I have never had any complaints. You tell them how much of a fill you want or will discuss your fill with you. I am in there and out usually in a little over an hour.

Guest bbwofcolor37643

i am new to this and i have my last app. wit doctor on the 23rd and was wondering if u could tell me about the test u have to take at the last app.

It is your body and you have the right to choose what happens to it. Not just with fills, with anything. Doctors are not gods although they sometimes think they are. So glad you have a new doc. Trish

Ok, Dr Barker called me back - he is so sweet and nice and he said obviosuly I should wait until the reflux settles to get another fill (Maese wanted to give me another fill this morning!!!) and he said I can go to SCOR or his office and that I should do that if I am unhappy with Maese. He said take nexium, see if it settles, and then get another fill when i feel better if i want. Isn't it nice to have a doc that just answers your ?'s with out any BS like Dr Maese. Dr Barker would never ever be rude to me - he is the best!!!

Laura -

Glad you got everything sorted out. You'll have to let me know how you liked getting a fill/unfill at SCOR. I go for my first one on Valentines Day. Hope things improve for you.

Kim

I just got a fill at Surgery Center of Richardson today- now the fill center is called "True Results Aftercare". They did not use flouro, but they may have the ability to use it, I don't know. You will not get any bad attitude there, that's for sure! I had my surgery there and my first fill today and they have been great!!!

Laura -

Good grief - I'd find another doc, too. Here's a number to the surgery center of Richardson - they use flouro for fills I believe. I don't know their policy on doing fills for patients not banded by their docs, but it would be worth a try! The center is on Coit a little past Beltline.

972-331-9500

Good luck!

Kim

Sounds as though you are having a rough time of it, really there is no need for all of that. I have been doing fills for several years and yes I would agree with you < take fill volume out and observe for a few days> also make sure you do not have the flu etc>

Our fill center is reached at Texaslapband fillcenter.com. We are down the road from Mease at College Station . Would be glad to see and advise if you wish.

Dr. Garwood