Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 4-28, Camping 4-29

Hello,

I am having surgery on 4-28, Thursday in the early am. My son has cross over camp out for Boy Scouts the next evening, Friday. This is a big deal. I went for my older son and he treasured the experience. The whole troop goes camping about 25 people. The Troop is going to an urban campground, so I will not be far from civilization.

My 2 boys will be going on the camp out. It has been my decision not to tell people about my surgery. My kids will know that I went to the doctors, but that is it.

Once at the camp out and the tent is set up, it will be pure relaxation. Okay, I have to coach the young boys (5th graders) in cooking, but that is it. So what do you think?

So many people feel great after surgery, I am hoping I am one of them.

I do not want to do anything stupid, but what is the difference between sitting beside a campfire and sitting by the TV?

What is your opinion about going camping.

Think about it- your stomach is going to be very sore. So much so that bending, getting out of chairs, getting out of a REGULAR bed will be painful. Now think about how much bending is involved in setting up a tent, getting in and out of camp chairs, cooking around a campfire, sleeping on an air mattress/camp mattress/sleeping bag... I wouldn't do it. No way. And honestly you'll be in no shape to take care of someone else, never mind a large number of someone else(s), a day after surgery.

I'm sure some will disagree with me but I highly suggest delaying your surgery if you can. Or not going camping.

I think it is not wise to go camping the day after surgery. You will not want to leave the house at all so soon after this surgery. You need to find a replacement for the camping trip. This is a much more majory surgery than you are giving it.

I don't know that I would have been ready for camping (even urban camping) on my first post op day.

Even if you feel good, the focus should be on resting and recovering.

Can you go for part of the day but go home to rest?

I had surgery on a wend and returned to work (desk job) on Monday. And there is no way I would have been in any condition to go camping on day 2 post op. Its none of my bussines but your boys are going to know you didnt just go to the Dr. Good luck please be careful. This is not a walk in the park or should I say campground.

My recovery was great but there is no way I could have done it. You will not feel good enough. I think it is a bad idea.

Thank you friends, I needed your advice. Mothers dislike disappointing their kids. I will have to make alternative arrangements for the boys. My husband will not go....

This is the first I heard about not driving. Is there a driving restriction after surgery?

Do not go camping! You will be sore and miserable. Think about it this way...do you want your son to remember your being in pain or having a good time? I have 3 kids and would hate for them to see me irratable during camping. Think of it this way.....you will get much needed rest away from the camping chaos. When they come home you will feel a little better!

Thank you friends, I needed your advice. Mothers dislike disappointing their kids. I will have to make alternative arrangements for the boys. My husband will not go....

This is the first I heard about not driving. Is there a driving restriction after surgery?

I concur with everyone else - I flew home 24 hours after my surgery and while it was not comfortable ir was bearable. The only restrictions I know about are driving on the same day as your surgery as the after effects of the anesthesia would compromise your judgment. If you can't postpone the surgery for a few days I don't think you have any choice but to tell your son you don't feel well enough to go - which will be the truth!

I had restrictions with driving. As long as I was on pain medications, there was to be no driving. I agree with everyone else. Day two is definitely NOT for camping. I have children and explained what I was having done because they range in age from 5-17 and i wanted them to understand why I could not lift them or do some of the housework that I normally do. This is major surgery and you will need your rest. Also, a lot of people get gas pain after surgery and if you are one of those people, you will appreciate taking medication, walking as much as you can to help the gas pain, and just resting. As of today, I am 5 weeks post op and still have some problems with sitting for long periods of time due to being uncomfortable around my port incision. Hope that all of this information helps!

As little as my pain was, I definitely would not have been up for camping the next day. I did not even leave the house til day 3.

Don't go - take this opportunity to recover without the kids in the house. That weekend should be all about you and your recovery-it's a godsend that the kids get the opportunity to go camping so you can focus on you. Just think of all he great bonding opportunities you'll have with them when the weight comes off! Don't feel guilty- you are doing this so you can enjoy a longer healthier life with your boys!

i have to agree. I would not go camping. Your body is still in a sort of shock. I completely understand the Cross over ceremony. I have watched my two boys Cross Over too. I broke my ankle a week before one of my son's Cross over Ceremony. So i had to have assistance being in a cast and being so big (prior to lapband). Maybe you can have someone drive you to the ceremony and stay for that but as far as camping and instructing a cooking demonstration for the guys will be difficult.

Good Luck and God Bless! Go Scouts! :D Troop 30, Eupora, MS

I have to agree with everyone else - there is absolutely no way I could have gone camping a couple of days after surgery (and I was one of those who only took my pain meds a couple of times).

That said, is there any way you could postpone your surgery for a week so that you could go on the trip and enjoy the time with your boys? I think that is what I would try to do (even though it might mean being on the pre-op diet for an extra week). If not, maybe you could do like Becky suggested and have someone drive you to there so you could attend the ceremony to show support for your boys.

Good luck!