Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band is choking me and no one will listen

Has anyone experienced choking with their band?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you having problems with choking when you eat, drink or lie down?

• No, never.
    • Sometimes but only when I don't chew enough or eat slowly.
    • Yes, it happens frequently and is very scarey when I can't get enough air.

I was banded in January 2008 and was very successful. I lost 85 lbs over two years and was very excited to be able to wear a size 10 for the first time in my adult life. I thought I would never ever have a weight problem again. I loved my band and thought it was a miracle that I had finally conquered my weight.

Almost a year ago, I had issues with a sick stomach while traveling and I had a kidney infection developing. My band tightened in the middle of my distress and I was very careful to cut back to mushy or liquid food while I got the rest of it sorted out. I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome before I got my band and have periodic episodes of nausea and vomiting. I got antibiotics and thought I would get over it. Instead, my stomach problems got worse and I could not keep anything down and was sleeping sitting up because of acid reflux even when I hadn't eaten. I finally stopped the antibiotics and my stomach settled down. Meanwhile, the vomiting and acid reflux left my band irritated and tight and I could not eat much for the next while. I knew that my band would settle down if I was careful in how and what I ate so eventually it did. From that time, I have had problems with my band getting tight on it's own and huge stomach problems. I also feel like my throat is constricted or blocked and I start choking and can not breathe well. I sound like I am barking trying to pull air through my throat. It is terrifying. I have addressed this problem with my clinic in Toronto and had had defills three times in less than a year to let my stomach settle and the band go back to normal. When I start to get filled up again the same thing starts all over. The last time, things did not settle down. I have now had three defills in a month and the problems are still ongoing. I believe the vomiting caused my band to slip and it needs replacement or repair. I am constantly in distress with my stomach and the band. I have stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, acid reflux, gas pains in my chest and back, the constriction in my throat and I can hardly eat or drink anything. I have found milk and milk shakes when I can get them down, alleviate the almost constant nausea and pain in my stomach. I am taking four over the counter medications plus a prescription for my IBS to cut down the acid in my stomach. All these and I still am in discomfort. I have not slept all night in the last month. I want my clinic to hurry up and get this fixed. It is affecting my whole life. I am also feeling tired all the time.

Anyone out there with a similar experience? Especially the choking and fighting to get air through my throat.

I've not had the issue, but from your description, it sounds like your band may indeed have slipped. I'd recommend having your doctor check for a slip, and take appropriate action to correct the issue. I'm told viewing your swallowing on fluoroscope can easily see if there is a problem.

Good luck!

Dave

thanks. I am sure that is what happened but this waiting is getting to me. The upper GI should show everything I hope then they can book surgery to fix it. Cross your fingers it is asap.

Hi: If you research acid reflux, you will see that some people experience only a lump in their throat,coughing and burning sensation in the esopheogus. The actual regurgitation of the stomach contents does not always happen. . You have consulted with your clinic and that is a great way to go about your issue.

Secondly, I looked into slipped band and apparently the pain is terrible, along with vomiting and unable to hold anything down. I certainly hope you get your solution soon

Thanks Doddie. I am waiting for the results of my upper GI and then I have an appointment on May 2. It is just taking soooooo long and I am in misery 24/7

If your band has slipped, I understand for the most part it is not a difficult surgery. Some just need a complete defill and wait until the inflammation has gone down. Sometimes the band is removed and another put back in. Is there a chance you might get in earlier if you asked to be put on the list to be called if there is a cancellation? Not a great way to speand Easter. Let us know how you are doing.

So why are you playing around with the clinic. Go to the emergency room and get checked out and insist you are not leaving until they do something.

I know you think the milk and milkshakes are helping but they actually can make IBS and Acid Reflux worsen. It's a quick fix to allievate the pain but it rebounds later to cause more pain so it's a cycle. I hope this helps some.

I know you think the milk and milkshakes are helping but they actually can make IBS and Acid Reflux worsen. It's a quick fix to allievate the pain but it rebounds later to cause more pain so it's a cycle. I hope this helps some.

Hi

Thanks for your message. I have heard that milk and milk shakes make things worse. I am using it as a temporary fix right now til I can see my lapband doctor and my IBS doctor. Milk and milk shakes also don't help with weight loss so I can't follow a proper healthy diet to lose weight til I get my stomach and band issues resolved. I appreciate your input.

So why are you playing around with the clinic. Go to the emergency room and get checked out and insist you are not leaving until they do something.

I did go to our local emergency and they couldn't help me they said. So much for those bandsters that live some distance from their lapband clinics and doctors. You can't get help just anywhere because they don't know how to help with the band.

If your band has slipped, I understand for the most part it is not a difficult surgery. Some just need a complete defill and wait until the inflammation has gone down. Sometimes the band is removed and another put back in. Is there a chance you might get in earlier if you asked to be put on the list to be called if there is a cancellation? Not a great way to speand Easter. Let us know how you are doing.

This is the third time in a year I have had big defills so my stomach and band could rest and go back to normal. this time the problems have not resolved despite 3 defills in the last month. With the past defills, the problems came back once I started doing fills and got close to my sweet spot.

Yes, it is very scarey at how little support there is from the College of P & S in my province. They accept and support heart by-pass, organ transplants, hip and joint replacements, where death and serious complications are fairly comon.

However with the band, they sternly say people should not get the gastric band because band erosion happens occasionally or the band may slip. Death and serious conditions may affect the band, but no where nearly as much as organ transplant. There is risk in all surgeries.

People are having trouble getting support mainly because the College does not want to train the medical personnel for whatever their hidden reasons are. As a rresult if you go to the hospital ER, you are rejected by some medical staff who sneer "you made the decision live with it".

Granted, some are sympathetic but they still don't know what to do. Living far from a clinic can be more than scarey, I know, I live thousands of miles away.

Hi there, I was just reading about your issue and its May 8, did you get your test results back?

Thanks for the kind inquiries. I now have a surgery date on June 1 for a laparoscopy and possible repair. The slimband surgeon did not have the CD of the Upper GI when I saw him last week but booked the surgery anyway because of my history. I continue to have constant gastritis and obstruction in my throat. I am praying that they can do a simple fix and I can again work with my band. It has been the best thing for me to control my weight finally. Because I can still hardly eat anything, my weight is almost down to my lowest but I was debating whether I need to lose maybe 15 pounds from that. I just hope I don't ricochet up again after surgery depending on what happens. I thought I had finally found the utlmate weight loss tool for me when all this started.

I will let you know what happens. I am not on this site very much but I get your messages in an email.

Lynda