Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DEAR NEWBIES: THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!

I had my surgery in July, 2010 and have experienced the same roller coaster of emotions, feelings, optimisim, depression, elation, regret and joy that others talk about. The biggest adjustment for me was saying goodbye to the overstuffed full feeling that accompanies overeating. I was surprised how I really missed that. I don't miss it anymore. The 2nd biggest adjustment for me has been learning to slow down my eating and take smaller bites. I'm good at that about 80% of the time and then I get rushed, or think I can eat something in the car on the way to one of my kid's games, etc. and then I just laugh at myself when the stuck feeling starts. I have however learned to recognize the onset and can usually avoid any really unpleasant outcomes :) I can't believe I'm 20 something pounds to goal. I will be the weight I was when I got married soon, and I've been married to the same wonderful man (who does NOT have a weight problem) for 23 years. I just wanted to post something positive about lap band...it's a helluva ride, but it has been so worth it. I am able to run again (I don't set any land speed records, that's for sure!) and I'll be completing my 2nd half marathon next week. I have one more long run (10 miles) until the race. I can't believe this is me I'm talking about. All you new bandsters, please hang in there! The best advice I can give you is to STAY POSITIVE and FORGIVE YOURSELF if you slip. This is not an All or Nothing process...it's a lot of learning about, adjusting to and finally, ACCEPTING your new lifestyle! I go out with friends, cook for myself and my family, enjoy wine (after a 4 month hiatus from alcohol) and enjoy life on a level that I have not been on in a long time. I'm usually not the fattest girl in the room anymore. I think I look pretty cute in my size 12 jeans for a 47 year old mom of 3 teens :) People comment on my weight loss all the time. I still have a bit of an internal struggle with not be open about my surgery, but I know it's the right decision for me. No one knows except my husband, sister and parents, all who I am extremely close with and respect my decision. I don't think I've ever drawn any attention from others who don't know...it's been surprisingly easy to keep this private. Whether I'm just reading or posting, this site has been a huge motivator for me. I encourage everyone to stay active with it. If I take a break from it and return, I always notice a boost in my determination. I'm looking forward to summer clothes and dare I say wearing a bathing suit (what ?!?). The hardest thing about this at the moment is refraining from buying too many clothes! I know I'm not "there" yet and I have to be patient and show restraint when I'm shopping. It's a good problem to have and one that I hope all get to experience soon. I wish you all the best with your pending metamorphasis!

Hi Skinny!! :D That was very well said! I have to agree with you on the ups and downs of the band. Even though it has not been as easy as I thought it was going to be, it has been wonderful watch my body transform and my energy skyrocket! The foods I can't eat, eggs, bread, Pasta, beef, cake, ice cream are just a few of the things that my band doesn't like, but I no longer miss them. Well that is a small lie because the other day I wanted a burger with all the fixings so bad I could taste and smell it. :angry: But I am okay with that. I have 23 lbs to go (slow moving, hit a stubborn plateau :blink: ) and I am excited about that. It has been almost 20 years since I have been this small and I am loving it..

So, would I do this again??? YES! Would I recommend it to anyone else? Only if they are ready for a complete lifestyle/eating change. The band definitely changes the way you eat, look at food and how you eat when you are out. Most of what I want I can have but I have found that my wants have changed tremendously. I crave veggies in the place of chips and candy... But I do have the occassional piece of candy or small bag of chips and that is okay too. In the beginning I was anxious about not being able to have certain foods but that is more of a mental thing and I had to deal with that.

I pray that we all stay strong and committed to our journey to a healthier and slimmer life!! :D

Live well!!

Dlynn...congrats to you and all your success! Loved your post :-) don't u just feel like you have to pinch yourself sometimes? I totally get it about the cravings, too. Sometimes it is still a bummer that I can't eat inhale something yummy like a burger and fries. It thankfully doesn't last long :)

You know what is so funny Skinny? The fact that I still find myself looking at the plus sizes when shopping for clothes and then I hold it up to look at and am like, OMG, I can't wear that size anymore! :lol: And it is such a motivator to keep on going and making the food sacrifices and working out like a maniac (LOL)...

But yes it does feel wonderful and I do have to pinch myself at times. I just came back from having lunch with a friend and this guy came over to the table and gave me a compliment on how good I look and that was pretty flattering!! YAY!! :lol:

LOVE this thread !!!!

I was banded Dec 13th 2010 ,

i looked into lap band for 3 years before looking for the right dr. it took me 3 tries before finding MR right ! my dr and staff are WONDERFUL ! I have had many stuck episodes and had that slime thinggy BUT over all i would do it again and I am very open about my band I tell just about everyone if i can be this happy ( i wasnt for way tooo many years ) they should know they too can be this happy !! i am down 42 lbs and more clothing sizes to count cause every ones sizes are diffrent to start with. I go to the gym 4 times a week and do 2 classes each time... sometimes I get lost in the gym and spend 3 hrs there..if you would have told me in Nov i would be a junkie to the gym I would have laughed at you ! i do spinning , step and now Zumba....along with my Water workouts...

this band is the BEST thing i have ever done for MYSELF !!!

my hubby wasnt too happy about it but now when I get dressed up and other guys look he is smiling. we have been together for 17 years and havnt been this small in over 15 of them...

thanks again for this post ! :)

Amy :D

Thank you so much for your post. I really needed to hear that. I am 3 days banded and getting tired of liquids quick!!!!

Liqiuids were the worst! Just focus in the pride u will have in yourself when u get through it. Its like having toddlers...haha...you don't think it will ever end and then on day they are handsome, funny teenagers and you are so proud!

LOVE this thread !!!!

I was banded Dec 13th 2010 ,

i looked into lap band for 3 years before looking for the right dr. it took me 3 tries before finding MR right ! my dr and staff are WONDERFUL ! I have had many stuck episodes and had that slime thinggy BUT over all i would do it again and I am very open about my band I tell just about everyone if i can be this happy ( i wasnt for way tooo many years ) they should know they too can be this happy !! i am down 42 lbs and more clothing sizes to count cause every ones sizes are diffrent to start with. I go to the gym 4 times a week and do 2 classes each time... sometimes I get lost in the gym and spend 3 hrs there..if you would have told me in Nov i would be a junkie to the gym I would have laughed at you ! i do spinning , step and now Zumba....along with my Water workouts...

this band is the BEST thing i have ever done for MYSELF !!!

my hubby wasnt too happy about it but now when I get dressed up and other guys look he is smiling. we have been together for 17 years and havnt been this small in over 15 of them...

thanks again for this post ! :)

Amy :D

Amy u rock! Exercise is such a rush now for me too! I still have to psyche myself up before hand, but there is no feeling like u get when you finish a long run or challenging class/workout. Im looking forward to changing my routine once the marathon is over. I would like to focus on weights and building more muscle :-) but don't want to lose the ability to do a 5 mile run. I understand that whatever it is, exercise will always be a part of my life!

Thank you for sharing. We are almost the same age and I have 2 teenage kids. My starting BMI was 40. I'm only 3 months out so it is so encouraging to hear your journey. I'm only down 20-22 lbs which is so frustrating. My body is changing but the scale won't budge! I'm afraid my doctor and the nurses are going to think I'm disobeying the rules but I don't think I am. I still struggle with night eating but I didn't expect the desire to just disappear. Wishful thinking but not realistic! I am eating soooo many less calories than I used to so I'm a little perplexed on why the scale weight isn't going down. I am walking 4 days a week. I know I've got to do way more exercise but I'm not ready to join a gym plus I'm busy with a full time job and family. I'm sure he'll do another fill when I go in on May 4th but maybe that's what I need. I think I have restriction now....I can tell when I start to get that stuck feeling but I don't really get "satisfied" with 3 oz Protein & non-startch veggies. Maybe another cc will help. I am so happy to read your story and know that I will get there. I truly feel so much better and am so happy I decided to have the surgery. All my blood panel numbers have improved greatly and my blood pressure is now normal!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Shelley

Shelley - 22 pounds in 3 months is great! I also started at a 40bmi. Just keep working the plan and it will come off. About how many calories are you eating per day? I think keeping your body guessing is a good idea so I frequently vary my calories per day. Seems to work for me and it feels more like real life instead of a diet. It took me a long time before I learned and accepted the new feeling of satisfied. I can tell you that the proper level of restriction is crucial though. It took me about 6-7 adjustments to get there. It is also something I will always pay attention to because it can change and then another adjustment might be necessary. While I wad I search of my sweet spot, I considered maintaining my weight a success! If I had a small loss...even better! Congrats to you for getting banded and working the plan. You will do great!

I just had lap band surgery yesterday. I have quite a lot of pain so reading your message was very soothing and motivational to me, so thank you! I am too married almost 23 years, 42 years old and have a 16 and 21 year old. I have been heavy and thin throughout my marriage and just do not want to yo yo anymore and decided this was the right tool to help me out. I was 117 when I got married and hope to at least get to 140.

Best of luck reaching your final goal!

Kelly

I had my surgery in July, 2010 and have experienced the same roller coaster of emotions, feelings, optimisim, depression, elation, regret and joy that others talk about. The biggest adjustment for me was saying goodbye to the overstuffed full feeling that accompanies overeating. I was surprised how I really missed that. I don't miss it anymore. The 2nd biggest adjustment for me has been learning to slow down my eating and take smaller bites. I'm good at that about 80% of the time and then I get rushed, or think I can eat something in the car on the way to one of my kid's games, etc. and then I just laugh at myself when the stuck feeling starts. I have however learned to recognize the onset and can usually avoid any really unpleasant outcomes :) I can't believe I'm 20 something pounds to goal. I will be the weight I was when I got married soon, and I've been married to the same wonderful man (who does NOT have a weight problem) for 23 years. I just wanted to post something positive about lap band...it's a helluva ride, but it has been so worth it. I am able to run again (I don't set any land speed records, that's for sure!) and I'll be completing my 2nd half marathon next week. I have one more long run (10 miles) until the race. I can't believe this is me I'm talking about. All you new bandsters, please hang in there! The best advice I can give you is to STAY POSITIVE and FORGIVE YOURSELF if you slip. This is not an All or Nothing process...it's a lot of learning about, adjusting to and finally, ACCEPTING your new lifestyle! I go out with friends, cook for myself and my family, enjoy wine (after a 4 month hiatus from alcohol) and enjoy life on a level that I have not been on in a long time. I'm usually not the fattest girl in the room anymore. I think I look pretty cute in my size 12 jeans for a 47 year old mom of 3 teens :) People comment on my weight loss all the time. I still have a bit of an internal struggle with not be open about my surgery, but I know it's the right decision for me. No one knows except my husband, sister and parents, all who I am extremely close with and respect my decision. I don't think I've ever drawn any attention from others who don't know...it's been surprisingly easy to keep this private. Whether I'm just reading or posting, this site has been a huge motivator for me. I encourage everyone to stay active with it. If I take a break from it and return, I always notice a boost in my determination. I'm looking forward to summer clothes and dare I say wearing a bathing suit (what ?!?). The hardest thing about this at the moment is refraining from buying too many clothes! I know I'm not "there" yet and I have to be patient and show restraint when I'm shopping. It's a good problem to have and one that I hope all get to experience soon. I wish you all the best with your pending metamorphasis!

Yes, Stay positive, forgive yourself, you will make mistakes.

Also, this isn't rocket science. you MUST eat 900-1200 calories a day, or you won't lose weight, no whining if you are cheating and not losing weight. I know everyone says it isn't a diet, but really it is. I can't eat like a fat person and lose weight, I have to eat like a skinny person. I see hundreds of posts on here about not losing weight, it's that simple, don't follow the diet, you won't lose weight.

Also if you are not banded yet. Not everyone gets sick and pukes all the time. I've never had a single problem, never PB'd, no food has ever been stuck.

The band is for hunger control. When filled properly, your hunger should cease for 4 to 5 hours. I would say look for that, instead of "restriction" because the band won't stop you from eating.. there is a hole in it, food goes through. If you are eating your 900-1200 calories a day you should be satisfied. Whereas pre-band I would have been starving all the time.

Don't snack or graze. Everything had calories, it can sabotage your diet.

Eat as much Protein as you can, but I don't think you need to be obsessive about it, or drink Protein shakes. i haven't had a shake since my post opp liquid diet. Remember those shakes can have hundreds of calories, they are Meal Replacements..

Also, it's all mental, 90% of this battle is overcoming food addiction. You have to change your habits.

You make some valid points, but for me the band is all about restriction. Its fundamental in all education, literature and support groups that I have received, read and attended :-) Yes there is a "hole" that food passes through and the band is tightened to decrease the size of the stoma. When the stoma is adjusted properly, food is held in the upper pouch longer and the new full feeling is there. I know it can work differently for some...sometimes just having the band placed is enough for some and no fills are ever necessary. I feel like im a pretty text book case. It absolutely limits how much food I can eat! Well, maybe not ice cream :-) My main point is to stay as positive as you can throughout this journey and give the band and yourself enough time to figure out how to work together to lose weight.