Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swedish Band VS Lap-Band

As I mentioned in my earlier post, they use the Swedish band in Saudia. I just saw a picture of it and it looks absolutely nothing like the Lap-Band! I dn't even understand how it works! Can someone please break it down for me...I am so confused. Which one erodes the most? Which one has better weight lost results? All in all which one is better?

thanks a bunch

Kabeerah, you probably aren't going to find much information about the Swedish band here; most of us are in the U.S. where ONLY the Inamed Lap-Band is approved by the FDA. There may be one or two, but largely I think the choice is made by the medical providers--what's available and in use in that country.

From everything I've ever heard, a band is a band is a band with regard to weight lost (as long as the band is adjustable). They all work essentially the same way. The differences are in the design of the bands but the results are the same--eat less, eat slower, lose weight.

I have the swedish band (SAGB). I know it is quite common in Australia. I think they are very similar. My surgeon likes this one as the balloon inside goes all the way around (some have a gap) and I think it's a little wider.

If you google Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band and the full names of the others you will find some documents that compare them.

Good Luck B)

Actually, there are considerable differences in how the bands constrict the stomach. Some bands, when inflated, tend to fold in or kink, forming not a circular constriction, but a multi-sided constrictive enclosure.

There is considerable concern about how this shape & pressure gradient differences MAY contribute to banding mishaps. I am unaware of any particulars beyond this, but there ARE websites I've read that go into this and they show photographs of the various bands and how they respond to inflation.

I have a swedish band. My surgeon uses either one, patient choice. I chose SAGB because it is softer, the lapband has a hard outer casing. Personal choice for me, research at the time of my banding showed no differences in positives or negatives...

apparently the swedish band starts out larger...however once the the correct amout of fillis put inplace they work some what the same....Iam have the lap band as apparently once the Dr's opened me up my stomach was too small for the lapband to be placed.The sweddish one starts out larger.

That page from Wayne Smith's site is quite old, I think. Best to look for some newer information.

True, his page was done a while ago --- and the LapBand has been further refined and updated (such as the rigid sleeve to protect the tubing from accidental puncture), but the Swedish band still operates the same.

Do wish I knew where I saw the page of photos of all three bands inflated. The folds/kinks were so distinctive. It was the flexible (but semi-rigid) silicone band of the Inamed Bioenterics LapBand that kept the inflatable part perfectly smooth.... Maybe I should write Wayne and see if he can help me find it again..

Shows a wide variety of currently used bands... There are more than I realized. It is wonderful so much innovation as going on as I feel sure that the problem of erosion will be solved some day.....

But on another tact, I see the two European sites I accessed stating that they think that rapid inflation/progression to "the sweet spot" has something to do with erosion. Of course, erosion doesn't occur (or become obviously symptomatic, I should say) until two years out... hmmm.

http://www.zyworld.com/acr/bands.htm

<TABLE width="80%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

2d_00fddbbe.gif

There are around ten gastric bands available with six generally used within the EU. The devices are different but principles the same - to facilitate a reduction in food consumption and enable weightloss. Specific information can be obtained from the sites of the leading band manufacturers but it is generally recommended to chose a band in consultation with an experienced banding surgeon..

Whilst the experiences of other banded patients is important, it is essential that your choice of band should be made in consultation with your surgeon and following your own research of the available literature. The bands all have advantages and disadvantages. It is important that you find the best one for you.

Prior to leaving your home country for surgery, it is essential that you make provision for safe and effective follow up care upon your return. Also note that you may have difficulty finding a clinician to adjust your band if they are not familiar with an unusual or newer device. The adjustment technique is the same with all of the bands but some clinicians will not offer support with an unfamiliar device. Generally, most UK clinicians are familiar with the SAGB whilst, in the USA, the Lapband is the most familiar. The bands should only be adjusted by a clinician with experience of ports and gastric band management. It is essential that the correct needle and Fluid are used and performed under an aseptic technique. This will avoid potential complications such as port damage, tube puncture and infection. A trained and experienced adjuster will be able to advise regarding the correct volume for you. Do not delegate this task to a nurse or doctor with no experience of band adjustment-it could be a very costly mistake.

All of the featured bands are fitted via laparoscopy ("key-hole") surgery and require a short hospital stay.

<HR>

<TABLE cellSpacing=20 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

2d_00fd1da6.gif

sagb.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The SWEDISH BAND (Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band) was the first band to be fitted and dates back to 1985. In the early days it was fitted by open surgery but, as with the other bands, is now fitted laparoscopically. The device is now produced by Ethicon Endosurgery-part of the Johnson & Johnson group. It is the most commonly used band in the UK, Scandinavia and Mexico and takes a maximum fill volume of 9ml.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>

2d_00fd0567.gif

lapband2.jpg

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The LAPBAND/VANGUARD, made by Inamed, is the second oldest band and the only one to have FDA approval. It is the most commonly used band within France, the USA and Mexico. American patients often chose this band as they tend to find it easier to obtain follow up within the US if their provider is familiar with the band and the band has FDA approval. It comes in different sizes. 4.5ml and 9ml.

2d_00fd0865.gif

MIDB.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The MIDBAND is produced by MID of Lyon. It is rapidly gaining popularity with a number of UK, French and Mexican surgeons. It is too new to comment on long term complications but several thousand have been placed and the results appear to be promising-especially within the area of complications. The maximum fill capacity is 9ml.

2d_00fd865d.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The following bands are used extensively in Belgium but are not current supported for adjustments by the Euroband Associates private band management service.

2d_00fdffd0.gif

amiband1.JPG

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The A.M.I Soft Gastric Band (produced by the Austrian Agency for Medical Innovations Ltd.) is predominantly used within mainland Europe & Mexico although some UK surgeons now place it. Maximum fill volume 9ml.

2d_00fd2df9.gif

bioring.JPG

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The BIORING is made by Cousin of France. It is similar in style to the AMIBand and is generally softer and low pressure. It is generally used by Belgian surgeons. It is very lower pressure and generally requires 4+ adjustments before maintenance restriction is achieved. Maximum fill volume 9ml.

2d_00fd55ef.gif

visuel_actu_01.jpg

</TD><TD vAlign=top>The HELIOGAST is made by Helioscopie or Vienne near Lyon. It is similar in style to the LAPBAND but is smaller and, as with the other bands, does not have FDA approval. It is used by a number of French and Belgian surgeons. It takes 7ml in total and

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks everyone. Call me slow but I do not see a ring on the SAGB, how does it wrap around the stomach?

Jode what was your first fill level and was it restrictive? If not how many fills did it take to find your 'sweet spot'. I know everyone is diffrent but I'm thinking I will suggust a starting point to my doc because I doubt he knows anymore than I do.

That picture of the SAGB shows the band itself un-latched. The part of the band with the stripe in it is closed up into a ring when implanted.

I have the Swedish Band and am part of the FDA trial. When I met with my surgeon after he placed the band he said that he wished this band was already FDA approved because he liked it so much better. He thought at the time that there would be less risk of complication with it. I'll ask him what he thinks now that's been a couple of years.

Megan

Jode what was your first fill level and was it restrictive? If not how many fills did it take to find your 'sweet spot'. .

kabeerah,

My first fill was 2cc. I do beleive this is a larger first fill, but I live 1600km from my doctor. He wanted to get to my sweet spot in less time so that I wouldn't have to travel so much.:clap2: Very considerate I think. Anyway, I had good restriction -not too much and enough to last a good weightloss. My second was 1cc and definitely gave good restriction. I actually had 1.5cc but found it difficult over the next couple of days so he removed .5cc before I had to go home. That fill lasted me well over 6mths, then I slowly started to gain. TIme for a fill again but then I became pregnant, and still have my 3cc.

hope that helps!