Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regret city....what have i done?

I am 7 days pre-op and have been in depression since my surgery..I wish I would have not gotten it..there is a lot I did not find out until after I was banded...I am just know hearing about thus stuck thing...that scares the hell out of me...I think will never eat anything other than tuna and yogurt out of fear this will happen to me...bread is my favorite food I had no idea i would have to give it up completely...I thought this band was just about portion sizes not being deprived....what have I done to myself?

Sorry you are having a hard time. I think what your feeling is perfectly normal. You are giving up a good friend- food. As far as bread goes, I couldn't eat it while I was loosing- got stuck every time. However, since I reached goal I keep my band very loose and can now ieat bread and pasta- as long as I chew well enough. So I am saying, it's not forever. Once you have restriction and are loosing weight I hope you feel differently. Best wishes!

Thank you so much....I pray this is just a period I am going thru and that it passes very quickly. That is great to know that I won't have to say bye to bread and Pasta forever...thank you again for responding

I am 7 days pre-op and have been in depression since my surgery..I wish I would have not gotten it..there is a lot I did not find out until after I was banded...I am just know hearing about thus stuck thing...that scares the hell out of me...I think will never eat anything other than tuna and yogurt out of fear this will happen to me...bread is my favorite food I had no idea i would have to give it up completely...I thought this band was just about portion sizes not being deprived....what have I done to myself?

I havent given up bread, you just have to avoid the real doughy kind, also as far as being stuck it isnt that bad, but once it happens you will know the feeling before you get there next time, just remember this, EAT SLOWLY, CHEW WELL!!

Thank you Phil! My nurse told me everyone is different and food will be trail and era..that is pretty scary...I have to eat something to see if I will get sick WOW! I am going to try tuna fish tonight for the first time since being banded...I am scared to death but I am starving! I am going to eat super slow!

I agree with the others...I have seen nothing in the literature that says that eating bread or Pasta is contraindicated in patients such as yourself. Patience is your greatest ally. You have taken a life-changing step that in a few months you will not regret. Stay strong and maybe even find a support group. This forum will help you get through a lot. Stay in touch and you will get through this.

I wish you the best,

Dr. JSA

Hi Brooklynn, I know how you're feeling. It can be so overwhelming to read or hear about all these new "rules" you have to follow. I have been banded now for a month and I've been slowly adding new foods into my meals. Whenever I do try a new food I make sure to take a small bite, chew it really well then wait a minute to see how it goes. I do the same thing with the next few bites. So far so good, I haven't been stuck on anything yet. We'll see if that changes after a fill. I know some people on here have issues eating some foods, while others can eat anything they want without an issue. Just try something new as you're allowed to by your doctor and hopefully you won't have any problems. Just remember small bites and chew chew chew! Good luck to you!! :)

i can eat anything..as long as it is 4 pm..my band and I dont like mornings :) no matter what I eat before 2 -4 pm...it comes back up

My doctor had told me instead of trying to eat really doughy bread (white bread, Bagels, italian bread ect) try to toast it, it gives it a different texture. Also small bites chewing VERY well. Once you realize how really chewed bread actually feels in your mouth (texture too) you may not miss it as much as you think you might. When food isn't chewed thoroughly, it tastes different. That is something you will realize over time. Some tastes are more of a habit than an addiction. I'm sooo jealous! I can't eat solids for another 3 weeks! Good luck with it all.

brooklynn,

I had about 2 weeks post opp where I was scared to switch from liquid to regular diet. I was told it is normal...

I am about 6 weeks post opp and the fear is gone. I can eat anything I want. SLOW ... have to remind myself SLOW.

And if ever get stuck - dont panic - relax, and follow advise you get from your doc or from this forum on how to 'unstuck'.

Good luck!

Omg!!! When I saw what you wrote I laughed out loud!!!! BECAUSE I was so there I FREAKED OUT!!!!! After surgery I cried and cried, my poor husband didn't know what to do for me,I thought my life was over ,ever thing I loved to do was over!!! Going out to dinner with my family movies and popcorn I had a few panic attacked WELL I am here to tell you it's not true you will be sooooooooo fine, i go out to eat I just eat different things but I dont miss it, you learn you will be ok. I didn't know how addicted to food I was, I even called my surgeon a week later to say I was wrong and I think I want this lap band removed, he just laughed at me. Now this July 2011will be 2 years since my surgery and I can't imagine not having this lap band

Just remember bread in moderation, as with all carbs...for optimal weight loss.

And yes, chew chew chew.

If I want a special treat and know it's a hard food to eat, I sip hot tea with it. It helps a lot. The hot liquid relaxes the stomach, and mositens food that is likely to get stuck.

As mentioned above, everyone is different as to what they can and cannot eat. I was banded Jan. 14th of this year and have not found a food yet that I cannot eat, including bread. Like others have said, you must eat slowly and chew, chew, chew, and then chew some more.

I was also told by one of my 2-year banded friends that your food tolerance may change with every fill you get. So, be on the lookout for that as you progress through fills. It definitely gets better, and as you see the weight coming off, you will be glad you went through with the surgery. Good luck!!!

Omg!!! When I saw what you wrote I laughed out loud!!!! BECAUSE I was so there I FREAKED OUT!!!!! After surgery I cried and cried, my poor husband didn't know what to do for me,I thought my life was over ,ever thing I loved to do was over!!! Going out to dinner with my family movies and popcorn I had a few panic attacked WELL I am here to tell you it's not true you will be sooooooooo fine, i go out to eat I just eat different things but I dont miss it, you learn you will be ok. I didn't know how addicted to food I was, I even called my surgeon a week later to say I was wrong and I think I want this lap band removed, he just laughed at me. Now this July 2011will be 2 years since my surgery and I can't imagine not having this lap band

Omg this is to funny I swear to you I kierra got done crying like a baby to my hubby! I even told him I was going to have it taken out because I have ruined my life..thank you so much for your post! I am going to try and calm down and give it a try.

Guys thank you all for your post...I had a nervous breakdown this afternoon..I really thought I made a huge mistake...I had just accepted that bread was going to be out of the question..but then I spoke to my friend who is banded and she told me that shredded meat makes her stuck (tuna fish, bar b Que, chicken salad) Omg I LOST IT! that is what I planned on eating I mean it is a mushie food..Omg I just don't know...I have already been banded so the only thing I can do is give it a chance..I pray to.God I never get stuck and everything goes smoothly