Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with after-banding food options

Hi everyone -- I'm scheduled to be banded on February 9th and I'm getting a bit nervous about Protein foods I can eat after surgery (after the healing stage). I'm basically a carbs and sweets eater right now -- I love my Pasta, bread, rice, etc., and sweets and fresh fruit (and some fresh veges).

For protein foods (really my 2nd choice for something to eat -- I'd rather go back to the carbs), I like eggs, beef, chicken, turkey, and cheese, but I don't eat fish. I really don't know how I'm going to be able to get the beef, chicken, and turkey down (based on reading that some people have problems with it), and if I can't I have no idea what I'm going to eat!!!!

Can someone help out with food suggestions?

TIA

I ate a pork butterfly steak the other day and it went down pretty easy, but I"m unfilled.

I had planned to do a lot more meat in minced forcm, as in burgers, patties, etc. Like chicken as a Thai style pattie with coriander and sweet chilli sauce. I made lentil burgers the other night that were delicious, chilli, bolognaise sauce, meatloaf, lasagne, so many ways to eat meat other than as a hunk on a plate. Small shaved pieces of beef in a Thai Beef salad, droooool. More omelettes (thse have become a family fave with salad).

Or, learn to love fish. We've never eaten an awful lot of it, but have started and now I'm learning lots of ways to cook it I like it an awful lot more. We had a salmon steak the other night rolled in an African rub - a blend of african spices, and baked in the oven. It was absolutely divine. Perhaps you could find a variety or two of fish you do like - my DH is a keen fisherman but I hate what he catches, mainly flathead - because it has bones and skin, ugh, it gives me the heebies to even touch it. but I love salmon fillets, steaks, tuna steakes and just find the rest all just Okish.

Was told not to eat breast meat of chicken, and i havent, but skinless thigh and leg meat i've had no trouble with.Had pepper steak tonite, just take your time and you will be fine. I also have scrambled eggs regularly no problems,and i do like fish [lucky to live near the great barrier reef, can catch all the fish i need].Have no trouble with white bread, some do, toasted is better..

I was banded on 12/28 and have been "experimenting" with foods. I find that eggs don't have any problems, and I've eating small bits of steak, chicken and hamburger meat (thought it can be tough). I haven't had pasta/bread/carbs basically for 3 weeks. I feel like I've pretty much gotten rid of the cravings etc. associated with those carbs. I'm not filled yet either, but I stop eating way before I'm actually full, because I fear a PB. I think I chew each bite so much my jaw gets tired and I lose interest. I say do meat first, veggies second then carbs if you have room. A good Breakfast treat is eggs with some chopped up ham. It'll also keep you full!! Good luck :)

They one thing I have loved for protien is cottage cheese and dont forget a glass of milk. I have found a really great protien powder that I love that is called Keto protien, it tastes really good and has no sugar in it. I think it is like 25 grams per scoop.

Hi, i was banded 11/08/05.

But i still can't eat bread. I choke with everything, but i eat fish everyday

johurt, or yello.

Hi Betje, I would suggest that you slow waaaaaaay down when you eat. Take VERY small bites and absolutely stay away from ANY kind of bread.< /p>

There is a thread on this food board called "LapBand food Stages Lists". It is a sticky thread and at the top of the board (I think it's the 3rd from the top)

That should give you a good idea of what your doctor might suggest for you to eat after your surgery.

Hopefully that helps, and good luck with your surgery!

I hate to sound harsh - but here goes. From everything I've read pre and post banding - bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes are not band friendly foods. Try switching over now to a different way of eating. Protien first then veggies, etc.

Just because a person can get any of the above past the band does not mean that we should be eating them. You will sabotage your weight loss.

Once you get past not eating sweets, and other carb heavy foods - your system won't crave them too much anymore.

Good luck and think about this, my friend.

Patti