Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon setting goal weight??

I am reading some of the recent posts where some of you have mentioned the "goal weight" set by the surgeon.

My surgeon never mentioned a goal weight for me....but did talk about the "average" weight loss post lapband. Does the surgeon usually have specific goals for patients? Also, I won't see my surgeon again as all care now is managed by the bariatric center (midlevels, nurses, dieticians, social workers). I don't want to ask my PCP....as I am not sure she will have a realistic goal.

I don't have a goal for myself other than having a weight that starts with the number 1...............when I get there, then I will see how i feel, how I look and where I want to end up. I am tall (5'9") and in order to get into a normal BMI I would need to be around 167 lbs. My goal on my ticker in my signature is 100 lb loss which will put me at 188 lbs. I see that goal as very attainable right now....and see no issue in reaching that before my one year bandiversary in October.

I think I will shoot for my 100 lb loss as a goal.....and when I get there, see how I feel.:P

Jackie

My surgeon and nutritionist didn't say anything about a goal weight for me either. My nutritionist asked what weight *I* wanted to get to, then said that everyone is different and that my goals of 1) 199 and then 2) 180 or so, not skinny, were just fine.

I've done some online tests that say at my height I should weigh around 147 and I can't even IMAGINE what that would look or feel like. I've never been skinny!

I'm 5'2" My personal goal is first 170 then 150....if I get below 200 though I'll be thrilled and if I go lower than 150 and am still healthy so be it. The only person at the clinic who asked me about my own goal was the nurse practitioner psychologist, who said in her opinion 150 was very reasonable. She also explained that people who have been obese for years will almost always fall above average weight because over time our bones actually become denser to accomodate carrying the extra weight...so it's not realistic to expect to get to the "average" healthy weight for average people. I hope that made sense?

My surgeon never suggested a goal weight.

I never had that.. I think they want you to make your own. But it's kind of implied to reach a BMI where you are healthy.

My doctor has a program on her computer that figures out a reasonable goal weight. She told me obese people have denser bones as someone else mentioned so their idea of goal weight is about 30 pounds higher than the insurance charts. She wanted me at 169 and I said no 160. I am now 149 and very happy. Make a goal and then see how you feel, you can always change it up or down.

My surgeon set a goal weight from me based on what the computer said after they entered in all of my info..like body composition, frame, ect.....it came up at 199. I think I am going for 265 for now so I won't get discouraged and then if I make it I will assess at that time.

I am using the high end of normal BMI for me. Im 5'2 so that would be 134.

Hi Jackie,

My surgeon did not discuss a goal weight either. We did go over the statistics that most lap band patients lose 60% of their excess weight. My initial goal is also 100lbs. At that point I will re-evaluate myself and set some new guidelines. I do know that for me it is more about how I feel and look than what the scale says. The scale has never matched my clothes size.

Andrea

I am reading some of the recent posts where some of you have mentioned the "goal weight" set by the surgeon.

My surgeon never mentioned a goal weight for me....but did talk about the "average" weight loss post lapband. Does the surgeon usually have specific goals for patients? Also, I won't see my surgeon again as all care now is managed by the bariatric center (midlevels, nurses, dieticians, social workers). I don't want to ask my PCP....as I am not sure she will have a realistic goal.

I don't have a goal for myself other than having a weight that starts with the number 1...............when I get there, then I will see how i feel, how I look and where I want to end up. I am tall (5'9") and in order to get into a normal BMI I would need to be around 167 lbs. My goal on my ticker in my signature is 100 lb loss which will put me at 188 lbs. I see that goal as very attainable right now....and see no issue in reaching that before my one year bandiversary in October.

I think I will shoot for my 100 lb loss as a goal.....and when I get there, see how I feel.:P

Jackie

I'm 5'4" and my Dr. said I can expect to get down to 150 (100 lbs loss). My preferred weight is a body builder 125 for competitions. But I'll see how I feel as I lose, at some point you'll just know what the right weight is.