Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start to feel better?

I'm still feeling weak, and sore. I've heard most people only take the rX painkillers for a couple of days after surgery, but I'm still taking them because my incisions hurt. When my surgeon went in to place the band, he found (and fixed) a hiaital hernia-- is this why I'm still having a lot of pain? I know that being on liquids will keep me feeling weak for a while, but I was hoping to feel a little more human by now than I do ;) Also I ended up with a rash all over my torso that my doctor thinks is an allergic reaction to something used in the surgery, so he told me to take Benadryl-- let me tell you, Benadryl and Percoset KNOCKS YOU FLAT!

Also, I burp after every. single. swallow. Every one, doesn't matter how big or small the swallow was! Is this going to go away?

I was just banded on Thursday. Thought I was going to have to stay the night, because I was having such a hard time waking up from anstesia and then I didnt ask for pain medicine when I should have and had a little panic attack when I started hurting alot.

Yesterday was pretty painful as well. Mostly in my chest like I had to burp, but can't. So I guess it isnt better if you burp or not. I went for two little walks yesterday just down the block. That seemed to have helped.

I hope you are feeling better soon. :D

i am sorry you are still not feeling so well-just wanted to say hope you feel better! i just got my band yesterday -had to spend the night in the hospital because apparently there were some issues with my breathing at the end of the surgery. i am in a lot of pain still-hoping things will get better quickly-of course i am also a pain weenie!

also-i am having to give myself a shot for the next 2 weeks? apparently this is new protocol-anyone else have this? i was just told as they were discharging me.

Ooh, what kind of shot? My surgeon requires one overnight in the hospital but I only had 2 shots- both were bloodthinners.

I was banded Monday and thought I was dying the first two day. The 3rd it got better and has gotten better everyday since. I took the RX painkiller for 4 days. My nurse told me gas X strips and hot liquids will help with the gas. Try hot tea or hot broth. It does help with the gas. I still am having gas pains but it is getting better. I hope you feel better soon.

I had a hiatal hernia repair also. I used the prescription pain meds for a week. Every four hours for the first 5 days. I also broke out in a rash around my incisions. They started to itch after a couple of weeks so I started putting neosporin on them and taking benedryl. My surgeon said I was having an allergic reaction to the "mycins" in the neosporin. However you're the second person I have read about having broke out in a rash. The other lady said she didn't use neosporin. I had to keep taking benedryl oral and lathering on either aveeno oatmeal cream or cortisone (nothing added). It took over a month to clear up! Even spread under my breasts.

I was banded on Monday and boy did I have a horrible week..I also had my gall bladder removed at the same time...today was the first day I started to feel better...I was able to lie on the bed for the first time last night. I had been sleeping sitting straight up...I am also very weak from not eating.starting to get a little depressed but on a positive not I have lost 15 pounds...hopefully things get better soon

My doctor told me it would get better each day.

The first few days were hell, I had a lot of gas build up and needed help just getting up! I am 9 days post op and now I still have some gas but I find most of my weakness comes from an all liquid diet. I still have problems with gas building up in my chest area-but I find taking walks really helps (I don't go that far). Today I actually feel like I can take my first deep breath!

I am sorry to hear that you still do not feel well. I took my pain meds for the first 4 days and went back to work on day 5. At that point I was still having pains in my incision area as well as my left shoulder. I don't know what happened overnight but I felt so much better on day 6. It is a progressive process. I am now on day 17 and I have only have minor discomforts. It will get better. I wish you well.

The rash is likely from iodine. They put an iodine mesh on your abdomen when they do the surgery (that's what you see in the movies that looks like plastic on the body when they cut into it). I had it as well. The rash is usually in the same shape as the mesh - a square or rectangular shape with well defined edges up your side. And it usually won't extend onto your breasts (other than potentially the underside).

For the pain, you can have pain for weeks, it all depends on your body and how it heals and how much attention you pay to the pain, how much you coddle yourself. If you cater to the pain it will last longer (this is why they get you up and out of bed quickly after surgery).

Move more, do more, and your body will heal faster.

For the burping, that's common. You'll have that for some time.

You may want to ask your doctor if you had a fill (active or passive) when you had your surgery. If you did then you may have too much in you, resulting in the persistent burps.

Lots to think about, thanks all! Today has been better- only took the percoset twice so far instead of every 4 hours on the dot. I keep on telling my husband how WEIRD it is to not be hungry biggrin.gif Not that I'm complaining!

I was banded two months ago and had the same thing, the rash, the hernia repair, and the burping after each swallow. Don't worry, in 5 more days max you'll start feeling a ton better. The hernia repair is what causes the extra pain and uneasiness. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath for a full week after because it hurt to breath in too deeply. But each day gets better, you'll get more energy when you get off the pain meds. Like I said, give it another 5 days, and you'll feel better I'm sure. You'll be sore and move slightly slower for a month post-op. Truth be told, about a month ago I started getting super energy and I haven't felt this good in probably close to 3 or 4 years! I hope your recovery gets smoother as you go... I'm sure it will. Hang in there and congrats on your surgery!

Don't worry about the percocet, you take it as long as you need it! I finished all mine and loved every minute of it. It took the edge off and helped me be comfortable and sleep better too. Every day you will feel better. I had a hernia repair too and I had my surgery on Monday and actually went in to work on Thursday. I was miserable so on Friday I worked from home. By Monday I was much better and felt much more normal but it did seem to take a while to feel completely back to myself. Congrats and good luck! Take it easy and every day will be a better day!!

I hope that you are feeling better. I have to say that I had hardly any pain from the surgery and luckily no gas. But I too had a rash but not on my abdomen. I had it in my genital area. I'm thinking that it might be from the iodine wash dripping down. I didn't have any issues down there before the surgery. That was the most uncomfortable feeling- itching, burning like you would not believe. I actually took the percocet for the pain from the rash and not the surgery. I slathered myself with cortizone cream and that helped. Today is the 1st day that I didn't have to use anything.